Bass cans for iPod, amped/unamped - Reasonable.
Apr 16, 2009 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Canowskies

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I heard about head-fi on another forum and figured I'd give y'all a try. I've looked around (wanted to search before posting/asking) and didn't find exactly what I was searching for, so here I am.

I'm looking into getting a decent pair of headphones finally, so I need some help after looking at how many choices there are. The best I've owned to date are Skullcandy (Yeah, I know..) so the bar isn't set too high, haha.

I'm looking to use them at home with my iPod and computer, so I know that'll limit it a bit. Also I do not wish to disturb my roommates, so I'd prefer closed headphones - though if there are reasonably quiet opens, I'd debate about it. I listen mostly to Rock & Red Dirt, bass is a massive importance to me and price isn't TOO much an issue, though I don't want to go extreme.

Oh, and I do not have an awful lot of knowledge on headphone amps. I wouldn't mind a pair of cans that require an amp, but would truly appreciate recommendations for fairly inexpensive ones.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 24
First , welcome to Head-Fi !
You'll probably get a ton of great suggestion fitting your need , mine would be Ultrasone HFI780, they're a good combination of isolation and SoundQuality for rock and familly that's for sure.
Maybe not the BEST you can get for this style but those im thinking of aren't closed, and didn't tried em myself. They're exactly in your prize range but without an amp (HFI). They dont criticaly need one though. Anyway.... Happy shopping !

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 24
CDBacklash, are you novices really have that urge to post something lately?
He said he wants closed cans and $250 budget and you're suggesting Portapros? What the hell?
I'm glad you've learned that such a model exists, but maybe you should create your own thread and list there all the cans you know or something...

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 24
unfortuantely, the DT770's do need an amp at 80 ohms. i tested them through my iPod and had the volume all the way up and they still didn't reach their potential. they do sound great at my friend's studio though.
i ended up getting the Audio Technica ATH-M50 since they are more easily driven. but i was looking more towards studio/monitor headphones so my needs are a little different from yours. the M50 does have decent bass though, imo.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 24
Ditto that on the DT770's needing an amp, even the 80ohm model. Just got a pair and they are not loud enough with my iPod touch turned up to 100%. Hope my Fiio E5 arrives soon... (hope that's enough to drive it!).

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 24
I think the D1001 are a decent portable can. Though they don't isolate that well, they are very light. They let sound in, but don't let any sound out so you woulnd't be disturbing your roomates. Plus it has a nice balance to it from an ipod and is easily driven.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 24
You can find a pair of ATH-ESW9s for around $250 right now, but don't buy on ebay as there are fakes going around. They don't require an amp, and sound quite good straight from an ipod.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find a pair of ATH-ESW9s for around $250 right now, but don't buy on ebay as there are fakes going around. They don't require an amp, and sound quite good straight from an ipod.

$220 on amazon last I checked, might be even cheaper elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back