Bass cans for iPod, amped/unamped - Reasonable.
Apr 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #16 of 24
Gotta give another vote to the 770/80s I am partially biased simply because I love mine!

I really don't think they "need" an amp its not like you can't hear them from an iPod - you just can't overpower them. Without an amp you can achieve reasonable listening levels but probably won't be able to rock out too hard.

Combine the DT770/80s with a fiio e3 or e5 and they will have plenty of volume for you, I tried these with a friends iPod and they sounded pretty good - maybe with some EQ tweaking they would sound a lot better.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 24
If you want bass, I would say the AKG K181DJs. They have a bass boost switch (can be turned off you want less), and a detatchable wire. Here's a good place to get them the price is in euros but on the side you can change your currency. I haven't heard them personally but i've read good reviews, the only negative is some people say the bass is too heavy, but just turn the BB switch off, and mess with some equalizers if too much bass is an issue. Hope you find what you need.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First , welcome to Head-Fi !
You'll probably get a ton of great suggestion fitting your need , mine would be Ultrasone HFI780, they're a good combination of isolation and SoundQuality for rock and familly that's for sure.
Maybe not the BEST you can get for this style but those im thinking of aren't closed, and didn't tried em myself. They're exactly in your prize range but without an amp (HFI). They dont criticaly need one though. Anyway.... Happy shopping !

x2 on the HFI-780s. Great bass for rock and metal. They can be found for less than $200. I also have a pair of HFI-550s, and they do a great job (although not having the same clarity as the 780s). They're not as flashy (all-black design), but are harder to find. I've got mine for $115 + S&H off eBay.

FWIR, the HFI-580s are a great choice as well.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 24
Thanks for all your replies! I'm pretty much sold on the HFI-780's after reading up on them and your suggestions. What fairly inexpensive (yeah, sorry) amp would you all recommend? Portable would be nice, but not a requirement.

BTW, found the HFI-780's on Amazon.com for $195. Going to shop around and look elsewhere for perhaps a better deal.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #20 of 24
There seems to be 32ohm versions of DT770, DT880, etc. From moon-audio dont know how they will sound, but the ohms are lower enough to be driven easily with volume...

Beyerdynamic Headphones

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canowskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All right, I've decided to purchase a Little Dot MK I off of Ebay. Now that I WILL be getting an amp, what headphones would be best for bass? Is the HFI 780 still a front runner?

Sure they are. The 780s have both quality and quantity to the bass. I'm listening to mine right now, and I can say I never cease being amazed by the bass reproduction from them. They don't need an amp to sound great, but benefit from one. I'm not sure whether the LD Mk I and 780s will match, though, since I've never listened to that combo.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone + Hybrid amp = Yum, synergy.

Great to know that.
icon14.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back