Bass ahoy! A comparison of the Monster Turbines, JVC-Victor FX500, Sennheiser IE8 and Audio Technica CKS70.
Jul 20, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #61 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decay, I understand you are very fond of your IE8 but I don't understand how you can defend them against the JVC when you haven't heard the FX500 so can't compare them. Or am I missing something...You should give the Victor a try and you might get surprised. Same for me.
Maybe we should swap our pairs for a week, if you are in the UK.
wink_face.gif

Thank you for your kind offer, but I'm in the US now and I see no sign of me flying across the Atlantic ocean in a blue moon
frown.gif

As for me defending the IE8 against the JVC, I intend it as an opinion testifying to IE8's untapped potential that many won't or can't release. Since I didn't hear any other IEMs there's no credential to me comparing them, I can however listen to tone generator/frequency sweep/songs with low bass (10-50hz) and note that IE8 do indeed reach low, as for the mid-bass hump it depends on fit/tips/etc. whether it overshadows/colors the sub-bass, the same old rhetoric all over again
tongue.gif

As for treble, IE8 extend to 20khz easily (at least in my special case and with max bass dial) and no veil to hinder the clarity and detail better treble provide (drums as one such example), quite similar to the headroom graph that basically shows that IE8's high extension is a smoother version of ER4S' (if there are other sites providing different graphs, please post the link
biggrin.gif
).

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #62 of 127
Decay I know that your point would've come across a bit too strong haha. However, I would tend to partly agree with you that the IE8 has a lot of untapped potential. For instance, I am of the opinion that the sony EP-EX10A tips doesn't give the clarity/details, transparency and soundstage depth and treble presence that the IE8s are capable of. Yet this is the configuration that quite a few folks have settled on because it gives to their ears the best SQ

Anyways, the FX500 seem to be just compared with the IE8s possibly because they are both dynamic but I think the FX500s are more than a worthy match for IE8, W3, UM3x, etc ............after "burn in" and I am not taking back that statement. Vocals might still be a bit too thin and recessed for some folks but there isn't a phone without it's faults. I can easily see why some folks would choose this phone over the IE8. As for me, with my current tip configuration of the IE8 and the way I place them in my ear I still prefer the IE8s to them. As I've said before though, I'd rather say that these two phones are different rather than saying one is better than the other. They're the two most unique sounding phones I've ever had the chance of listening to. It's a matter of preference really!

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #63 of 127
@Honeyboy:
I'd think my opinions are too "aggressive" myself
tongue.gif

It's more of a neon light sign: "Hey guys, I know you really enjoy your FX500
and they sound better on several aspects compared to the IE8, but don't give
up on these more expensive phones, there's a lot more space for improvement!"

Lastly, not better just different is IMO the most held opinion.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #64 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're the two most unique sounding phones I've ever had the chance of listening to. It's a matter of preference really!

If you've listened to the Jays s-Jays, you'll know what an unique sound is
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #65 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've listened to the Jays s-Jays, you'll know what an unique sound is
wink.gif

I hate that kind of very vague and careless comments. They tickle my curiosity. I never looked into those before, and I just find out they are only £40... Humm
rolleyes.gif
Must resist!

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #66 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate that kind of very vague and careless comments. They tickle my curiosity. I never looked into those before, and I just find out they are only £40... Humm
rolleyes.gif
Must resist!

Oh fine!
tongue.gif

Extremely laid-back sound signature, bass heavy, does not sound like any dynamic nor BA earphone.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #67 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decay I know that your point would've come across a bit too strong haha. However, I would tend to partly agree with you that the IE8 has a lot of untapped potential. For instance, I am of the opinion that the sony EP-EX10A tips doesn't give the clarity/details, transparency and soundstage depth and treble presence that the IE8s are capable of. Yet this is the configuration that quite a few folks have settled on because it gives to their ears the best SQ

HONEYBOY, I would have to agree 100% on this! I have gone back and forth at least a dozen times between the Sony Hybrids and other tips. I think the small opening on the hybrids is the downside to them. The larger opening of the Senn tips and non-hybrid Sony tips definitely have the biggest soundstage for me. Using the Ultrasone Demo CD's first track it is immediately obvious. Personally, for me, my best SQ tip is a standard (Non-Hybrid) Sony with Comply under. I also found the foam density made a difference. The foam I am using is from a P-series tip which is much more dense than the foam in the T-400 series.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #68 of 127
Hi all, completed the comparison. I apologize for the delay. Changes are as follows:
- Added specs table
- Major correction under "Earpiece" section concerning the CKS70 and the 2 tip position feature and added pics to illustrate
- Completed highs section
- Completed mids section
- Decided to take out pricing and availability section as I didn't feel I'd be able to do a good job on it
- Added section at the end on differences in sound between the 2 tip positions on the CKS70.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #69 of 127
LOL I was literally writing a post asking how the finalization of your review was coming along and an email came in saying you just finished it, thats to funny :)

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #70 of 127
Heh, I think I didn't quite realize what I was getting myself in for when I started this. The 2 tip position feature of the CKS70 also complicated things quite a bit. I think I might leave big comparison posts to the more experienced members in the future. It's interesting though, I think I've definitely learned how to become more critical when listening to mids and highs. Again, sorry for the wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #71 of 127
Excellent additions to the review and a great find about the Sony hybrid tips and the two positions. I may have to save my pennies up and try one of these, just have to mull over your comments to decide which one. I suspect money wise it will be the ATH plus I love the ATH sound. But I will have to wait a while as I just bought a used ATH-ES7.

Thanks again for al your hard work and effort.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #72 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I think I didn't quite realize what I was getting myself in for when I started this. The 2 tip position feature of the CKS70 also complicated things quite a bit. I think I might leave big comparison posts to the more experienced members in the future. It's interesting though, I think I've definitely learned how to become more critical when listening to mids and highs. Again, sorry for the wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

I find my ability to be critical has changed a hundred fold since I started coming here, I wrote some reviews of different low end cans when I first came here and my perceptions have changed a ton since then.

My foray into full size cans has really changed my opinion on what sounds good. I would have never guessed I would want treble and midrange detail over bass but now I find excessive bass just annoying especially if it's at the expense of the rest sound spectrum. I also am surprise how much good sound stage (had to get a set of cans that actually has some before I even really understood what sound stage was!) makes a difference in my music.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #73 of 127
To: OP and anyone else who wants to answer this question.

OP: Have you heard the Atrios yet?

Do all these earphones in OP's comparison hit lower than the Atrio m5/m8s?

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #74 of 127
Nope. I'm afraid that I've never heard the Atrios. You should check out the FX500 review thread though. I think Shigezo specifically compared the Atrios to the FX500 in the very first post.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #75 of 127
DTKZ, did you get the Mingo's? I would be interested to see what you think of them as well as the Denon C710 compared to the rest. I think those make the IE8 sound veiled and too warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back