Bass ahoy! A comparison of the Monster Turbines, JVC-Victor FX500, Sennheiser IE8 and Audio Technica CKS70.
Jul 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 127
I didn't buy them yet.
wink.gif
I'm still waiting for a couple of reviews from Japanese bloggers whose ears I trust more than my own. I'm pretty sure I will pull the trigger, though.
smile.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very well done comparison - great to see such a well thought out write up. i think i agree with nearly everything, but feel actually (don't kill me) that the bass with the turbine is more natural than the ie8. its cable is rubbish and the stage is small, but bass (i used futuresonics foams with all of these) went very low but did not muddle around with upper bass energy as much as the ie8 which loses a feeling of resolution because of the upper energy.

You Know Shigzeo, I haven't heard the Turbines but I've grown to rather dislike the IE8 bass especially when I have a good seal. I know a lot of folks praise the IE8 bass but I think they possess other better qualities. I even reprimanded folks that dared to criticize the IE8s bass before. The bass does indeed go deep but it's not as resolved, defined and not much reverberation like the FX500 and the denon c710. It does seem to have a greater impact than the Fx500s but that's due to that mid-bass impact.

I know it's becoming overbearing with all this talk about how tips affect the sound of IE8 but I've tried all the tips and tip mods known and I've come to the conclusion that the better the seal and the deeper in the canal the ie8s go the worse they sound. I have now settled on the small foamies and just place them at the entrance of my ear canal. The bass reduces dramatically but the transparency and details, treble and sound stage increases and vocals sound more natural and not so thick. The problem is that isolation is sub par obviously but with this configuration I prefer the IE8s to anything I've listened to. Now I'm a bass head but my point is that the IE8 sound way way better without that bass. I think the bass of the IE8 does color the sound. I'd be interested in you guys take on this as well.

@DTKZ Nice impressions coming there. With regards to whether the Denon c710 had greater impact than the IE8s. I'm judging from memory but I think I am tempted to say that they did have greater impact than both IE8 and FX500. I remember my FX500 having more bass weight out of the box than it does now. The IE8 bass impact after "burn in" isn't overbearing per se' so my feeling is that the bass on the C710 will reduce somewhat as well but with the limited impression I had with them It was the kind of bass that would make a bass head skin all 44 TEETH and look up to the sky in wonder!!haha

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 127
@HONEYBOOY:
You know, you could just tape the bass dial (I know I replied differently in another thread,
I want to blame it on the tape but knows that my unreliable memories are the culprit), less
bass obviously
smile.gif

Edit: Wait, did you say you tried all tip mods? You can go deeper with extra-long tips and
retain the bass while not degrading anything else (except isolation).

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@HONEYBOOY:
You know, you could just tape the bass dial (I know I replied differently in another thread,
I want to blame it on the tape but knows that my unreliable memories are the culprit), less
bass obviously
smile.gif

haha I think it's the placement in my ear that really does the trick of allowing me to tune the bass quantity.
tongue_smile.gif
it's just funny how one of the reasons I bought them was because of the bass and now I am more happy with them with no bass haha

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 127
I cannot say they have no bass, what I can say is that the bass no longer interferes with
IE8's other aspects, and the highs/mids/transparency/instrument separation/imaging you
should hear is nothing like what you heard with booming-bass.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 127
Is there a DUI/mod to improve the Turbine's strain relief? I agree with the strain relief problem since my pair died right around the plug. I have to move the cable around to get any sound in the left earpiece.
I heard the IE8s for a few minutes today, and listening to Vivaldi's Spring, I felt the presentation wasn't as up front as the Triple Fi. If anything, I feel the IE7 sounds nearly the same, but is more balanced rather than the IE8s highlighting of the bass. A cello does not sound as deep as it should in the IE8s presentation. Again these are my own opinions, please don't kill me =)

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by masamune9210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a DUI/mod to improve the Turbine's strain relief? I agree with the strain relief problem since my pair died right around the plug. I have to move the cable around to get any sound in the left earpiece.
I heard the IE8s for a few minutes today, and listening to Vivaldi's Spring, I felt the presentation wasn't as up front as the Triple Fi. If anything, I feel the IE7 sounds nearly the same, but is more balanced rather than the IE8s highlighting of the bass. A cello does not sound as deep as it should in the IE8s presentation. Again these are my own opinions, please don't kill me =)

A DUI mod? I don't think that's such a great idea. A heat shrink will probably your best option for a strain relief. Tape could work too.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #25 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by masamune9210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you are saying the IE7 sounds nearly the same as the IE8? And that the Triple Fi. 10 sounds better with cellos than the IE8?

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #26 of 127
I prefer the more upfront presentation of the Triple Fi. as when I'm playing in an orchestra, it sounds more like what I'm hearing on stage. The IE7 and IE8 sound nearly the same, but the IE8 has a bigger soundstage and deeper bass. That's why I say the presentation is nearly the same. I would say I liked the Triple Fi. better than the IE8, but you really can't go wrong with either one, they both sounded fantastic.

Triple Fi. sounds like you're sitting a lot closer to the stage in a concert hall(probably around 6 or 8th row) while the IE8 sounds like you're sitting in row 10-12. However, I find neither of them can adequately provide the reverberations that are actually present in the hall. However, the IE8 does do the reverberations a bit better due to the bigger staging.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 127
Well, I guess we all want this comparison:

Head-Direct RE0 vs. JVC/Victor FX-500 vs. Audio Technica CKS70!!

Awesome review.
Thing is, I prefer quality of bass over the quantity of it.
This is what I can conclude from this review as that for electronic music in terms of bass, the CKS70 would be better while for 'natural bass', the FX500 would be better. Am I right?

Definitely would like to read the impressions of the mids and highs comparisons.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #28 of 127
The IE 8 was quite interesting.. my pair could hit 20KHz quite easily (I'm glad I've preserved my hearing), but couldn't hit 20Hz.

I'm glad I'm not in this market anymore.. it'd be a headache to decide with all these options!

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 127
^it is, cause I'm in the market and it is a headache. On one hand IE8 doesnt give as much isolation as I would like, but sounds good. On the other hand the Triple Fi. sounds great and has isolation, but its huge and isnt easily stored. *sigh*

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #30 of 127
The review looks good so far DTKZ, thanks for all the work you done so far
smily_headphones1.gif
. I will be very interested hearing your thoughts on the midrange and treble as these are the areas I love in my full size cans. The fact these have more soundstage than the IE8 is also great news as I love the big sound stage of my full size cans and miss it alot in my TB's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back