BASS. A "man thing" ???
Nov 19, 2004 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
At least that's what my wife jokingly said to me yesterday with a smirk as our tame-as-kittens 8" sealed subs half-filled the room with sound down to a whopping and oh-so-manly 45Hz or so. I honestly think she has spent too many hours on her daily commute back and forth to work with the crappy stock radio in her car.

Does my wife have a point? Does anyone here know any female bassheads? I know I've never met one. I really hope adequate bass is not a "guy thing"--I'd like to think I'm above all that.

cool.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 26
Bass: It's not just for men anymore.
wink.gif

I personally enjoy a strong presence across the range. I mean, if someone plays a note, I want to hear it as they played it. If that means there's lots of bass, then let's groove.
basshead.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 26
For the most part, I think women are turned off by the obsession of bass by men, not necessarily the bass itself. I believe that everyone can and will appreciate good, full sounding music, BUT put yourself in your wife's/girlfriend's shoes... would you want her to carry on about getting her makeup JUST perfect? I thought not
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 26
to be absolutely sexist, i guess you haven't watched howard stern's movie "Private Parts" where the subwoofer was used to interesting effect on a female caller interested in Howard's low baritone rumblings...

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I don't want to appear sexist, but it does seem (based on the limited crowd I know) that the statement is more true than not, with occasional exceptions both ways.

What was that song... It's been sung and re-sung over and over again. There was this female singing the chorus 'I'm totally addicted to bass... woah oh woah oh...'
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 26
my girlfriend is a basshead. Likes my DT770's and when she uses them out of the mixing board, uses about 6Db of boost in the bass.

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 26
Well, what gives me this impression is that it is the males (in my social circle, at least) who go out and shop for the biggest subwoofer they can find. It is the males who outfit their car with subs that can be felt several streets over. It is the males who like to crank the bass all the way up and test the flexibility of the housing foundations. Come to think of it, I don't know of any girls who do the same... perhaps it's just my sample?

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 26
I completely disagree. I was a car audio competitor in Toronto, and it was predominantly women that were impressed by the bass. My girlfriend is a great example. She loved my 15" Brahma setup fed by dual Resonant Engineering amplifiers. In fact, she has made me promise to install a high-end, ultra-bassy audio system in her car when she gets it! She is far more basshead than I.

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
She loved my 15" Brahma

What girl wouldn't love a 15" Brahma? Whatever they say size does count when it comes to woofers
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back