Basics of headphone design- Pointers?
Feb 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheLaw

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm starting a new project with microphones and some long range microphone listening devices. Yadayada...

Well amidst this, I thought it would be neat to make headphones for the project...well, just because.

So I'm sure there are resources around. Does anyone have any favorites in particular? So far I'm looking at the "cup tuning basics" thread which has a lot of info.

I'm looking for mostly designing the cups.

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 3
the design of the cups is dictated by the drivers you choose (and the decision to design open or closed headphones). 

The characteristics of the driver will dictate how much space the cups need, whether it needs to be tuned (ported) or damped (and by how much). 

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hi,

I'm starting a new project with microphones and some long range microphone listening devices. Yadayada...

Well amidst this, I thought it would be neat to make headphones for the project...well, just because.

So I'm sure there are resources around. Does anyone have any favorites in particular? So far I'm looking at the "cup tuning basics" thread which has a lot of info.

I'm looking for mostly designing the cups.

Thanks.

i've been working on making my own headphones too, there's some information here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623934/hand-built-custom-headphones
but you'll have to read through alot of not very helpful comments. there's some realy good information in there sometimes though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back