Basic vinyl system prices
Jan 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bullseye

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Head-fiers

Looking at my family's CD collection I remembered that at my grandparents house they used to have a big Vinyl system with speakers all over the living room, and quite a nice vinyl collection of classical music and some spanish artists (like the world know Raphael).

When my grandparents moved to another house, the vinyl collection was divided between my mother and her sister. At the present time in the house i am living i have 2 or 3 sets of classical music in Vynil (Like "los nueve conciertos de Beethoven" - The 9 Beethoven concerts), and i was thinking I might try Vinyl without buying any vinyls as I already have.

So what are the prices of a "basic" (basic & good) vinyl player, and if the grado sr225 i own could be used with that system instead of spending more money on speakers. I already own a pair of Creative GigaWorks T20 -i bought 3 or 4 years ago)

I would like to know a list of brands too & prices. (Just searching for information now, my buying mode is off now
biggrin.gif
)

Edit: Sorry for that, I am a bit dyslexic.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 11
First, it's vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif

You can get a used decent table for around $100, a good inexpensive cart for about $100, and a decent phonostage for about $50.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 11
A basic but quality turntable like the entry level models by Pro-jects can be bought for 200-250€, then you'll have to buy a phono preamplifier, either a standalone unit plus an headphone amplifier or something like an integrated speaker amp with phono input an headphone output...if you go used you can find vintage turntables, like old Thorens, Rega models quite cheap...however i think you'll need an headphone amp, because connecting headphones directly to the line output of a phono stage works...but wil offer you poor quality...

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Would these be an example of it?

Thorens

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 11
The Mini you posted is at least manual ( better not to have any mechanism interfering with the arm movement ),belt drive it has even an integrated phono preamplifier ( which will still leave you in need of an headphone jack from an amplifier ), however even the entry level models by project Pro-Ject Audio Systems have a better arm and cartridge...you must chose according to availability and street price...

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 11
If you want to go new, do the AT PL-120 for $220, a carbon fiber brush for $20, and a good elliptical-profile midline MM like an AT95e ($50). That would probably be a pretty acceptable starter kit for under $300. Note, those are online prices for the US; you might have better or worse deals in Spain.

You might want to scour the local ads to see if anybody is selling a Technics SL-1200 or equivalent; if well maintained that will work really well. But around where I live the prices are not much better than buying new online.

If you want to go belt drive, there are the intro models by Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall etc.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to go new, do the AT PL-120

Is this really any good? I havn't heard one in a decent system but the plinth feels poorly constructed compared to the SL1200 and even if it's similar looking and probably has a lot of the same parts I have profound doubts about how it's going to sound.

In Europe also these decks arn't really that much cheaper than an SL1200.

To give you an idea, Thomann in Germany have the AT and the Technics / Vestax as well as a load of poor quality clones. For 415 Euro against Euro 270 I'd say the Technics is easily worth the extra and then some.

Thomann International Cyberstore

For more conventional belt drives check out PhonoPhono also in Germany,

PhonoPhono - - ProJect

There the Pro-Ject Debut III is just 219, the Rega P1 is 349, the Dual CS-505 is 498 and the cheapest worthwhile Thorens is perhaps the Clearaudio derived TD-700 at just shy of a grand, and actually 50 Euro less than the Clearaudio Emotion, which is the only example of the Thorens badge actually devaluing the original
wink_face.gif

A 'real' Thorens is the TD160HD, over two grand and around the same price as the VPI Scout over here. Of course all the above beltdrives aside from the VPI are made in Europe so cheaper here than in the USA.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 11
ok will look for that.

Also how much can you get from selling vinyls? How much can they pay for vinyls?

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this really any good? I havn't heard one in a decent system but the plinth feels poorly constructed compared to the SL1200 and even if it's similar looking and probably has a lot of the same parts I have profound doubts about how it's going to sound.

Forgot to respond to this: No, I have absolutely no firsthand experience with the PL-120.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Go used Thorens+some SME arm or Rega 250. I think this is good setup for starting into vinyl world

Users who are viewing this thread

Back