Basic IEM questions
Nov 21, 2011 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

roark37

Head-Fier
I briefly tried an IEM and found it super uncomfortable and also terrible sound.  I asked a coworker about it and they said it was all about the fit and seal and that you have to try the different size tips.  Does that sound correct and if I got an inexpensive JVC or Sony IEM from Walmart to try in terms of comfort are those cheaper ones very similar to say 75-100 dollar iem's?  I just want to see if I can get the comfort and seal right first before spending more money.  I read about Comply foam tips and do those or something like them make a difference?  I also read that Bose IE2 fits more loosely which some people prefer.  Are there other(less expensive) IEM's that have the same style fit as those Bose?

Lastly I am more familiar at least somewhat with non iem headphones, mostly over ear but also KSC75.  If you do get the fit and seal is right on iem's do the budget(50 or less) iem's sound as good as similarly priced over ear including Portapro or KSC75?

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Comply tips make a difference. I dont think it is even possible to not get a good fit with comply tips that are the right size for you. Although comply tips tend to absorb some treble, they are the most comfortable tips i know of. You can also try Shure olives, but the cheaper iems from like sony or jvc have a larger nozzle like the ultimate ear models and wont work with the olives without modifications. So yah, buy some comply tips. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Fit and seal is everything

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Well when I briefly tried an iem it actually hurt as they seemed to need to be crammed into my ear.  Do any fit very gently or even a little loosely?  Or does a loose type of fit mean no seal?  I had to be doing something really wrong because besides the comfort the sound was not even close to what comes from the stock Sony buds that came with the walkman.  I looked up the comply tips and it said they expand to fit correctly. Is that true?  Can you get great comfort using the regular(silicon?) tips also though?  I know it is very basic but is there any advice to get the fit right and comfortable as I would like to switch to iem's if possible?  Thanks.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 5
I was able to get comfortable fit with silicone tips. With comply tips, u roll them between your fingers. They shrink and will slowly expand in your ear and give u a good painless seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back