Basic electronics questions
May 23, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CAvanessia

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have some very basic questions that I need help with. Recently my KSC75's have been re-cabled by myself. Please excuse me if some terms and explanations do not make sense.

Recently I noticed that the music cuts off with the Koss. If I just jiggle or twist the switchcraft connector a little, the music comes back on. I suspect that something is touching something else in the switchcraft connector.

I found continuity between the two positive wires and the negative wires?!? Strange but the connector looks fine. I chopped off the switchcraft connector. I opened the Koss and tested connection between the positive and negative of one side. They had continuity also! I don't think this is normal, but I remembered that the same thing happened when I tested this in the original Koss wires.

So I guess my question is: is this normal? Should the positive and negative sides have continuity? Would this contribute to the cutting off problem I've been having?

I'm going to try and clean up the solder with some desolder braid and see if the bare terminals have continuity.

Thanks

Christine

May 23, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 5
i have tried various sources: ipod, PC, creative muvo.

even with an amped setup (headphone going into the amp), the sound cuts off sometimes.

I cut off the switchcraft connector. the left signal (for example) has continuity with the negative designated for the left signal. i'm just wondering if this is normal.

May 23, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 5
You are going to have continuity (some resistance, not a dead short) when you ohm out the positive to negative. This is the DC resistance of the voice coil of the speaker. It is either a termination problem on the jack (most likely) or at the speaker terminal.

May 23, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 5
You should have continuity between the positive & negative, if you don't that means the voice coil of the driver has burnt out. The music cutting in & out is likely a loose connection/bad solder joint. I'd just redo the joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back