Basic bookshelf 2.0?
Oct 8, 2005 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gabedamien

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a *very* basic bookshelf speaker solution for a small dorm room. Computer (laptop, even) as source (through a freakin' headphone line out) playing aac's (at a mere 128-190 Kbps) with a shoestring budget (about $100).

So yeah, not a snowball's chance in hell during July that you could append the word "audiophile" to that kind of setup. I'd love a DAC, nice amp, and some high-quality speakers + a pair of great headphones, but it just isn't happening right now. I'm not looking for a good system, just ANY system considered acceptable - currently I have one (1!) audio output, namely some sennheiser PX100's.

So: 2.0 computer speakers, or possibly some bookshelf speakers driven by the Sonic T-amp. What are your suggestions? Like to keep it at about $100 or less; willing to consider about $150 total.

Since Christmas season will be here soon, and my birthday follows at an optimal one month later, I might consider spending slightly more on the speakers now, with the idea that I would then upgrade by adding a DAC to the mix - you tell me if that would be worth it with a $30 amp and some ~$150 speakers. Seems kind of insane to add a $300+ DAC, although longterm it's fine assuming I eventually get some nicer speakers.

Oct 8, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 17
Before looking at any of the usual PC speakers made by Logitech, Cambridge Soundworks, etc., or spending huge amounts on massive bookshelfs that require all kinds of exotic equipment to run, do yourself a huge favor and look at the Swan M200s. I just bought a pair myself a week ago...I just wish I had gotten these long ago. They're about $200 after shipping, but they are considerably better than any PC speaker I've heard to date...and I own two of what many consider to be some of the best PC speakers, the Midiland S2-4100 (long discontinued) and the Klipsch Promedias. The Promedias have been sitting in my closet for quite some time now, and the Midilands look like they'll be heading in that direction as well. They're self amplified so you don't have to worry about fussing with another amp.

Supposedly the M200s are either discontinued or there's plans of discontinuing them, in which case, run, don't walk, and grab a pair. These are truly a bargain among speakers.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 17
I love that you just gave me a compelling reason to spring for twice my announced budget.

Of course, I probably artificially halved my "true" budget when I posted the $100...

biggrin.gif

So, yeah, those look pretty spot-on. I'll give it a slight bit before buying to afford any second opinions, despite the warning to "run" for 'em.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 17
i too have been considering the swan m200 and also the possible combination of the paradgim atoms with a t-amp. I listen to all sorts of music from hip hop to classical. I am wondering which of the two setups will provide me with the best results for music and games. Will i need to buy any other power supplies, cables, etc with them? I live in the uk so chances are i cant try either setup so i'm relying on the trusty head-fi community.

Thanks.

EDIT: oh by the way. my source is a creative SB audigy, if thats of any relevance.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 17
Actually, you know what, screw it, several minutes of searching and reading later and I'm sold. Seems like precisely the kind of setup I was looking for. Even look attractive.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to the mod who moved this thread to the correct spot.

Spacko, if I'm reading this correctly the Swan M200's require nothing more than the 1/8th" stereo output that in all likelihood is already on your computer. In other words, they plug right into the headphone- or line-out jack. Of course, I personally plan on "suggesting" the micro DAC from Headroom as a Christmas / Bday gift...
wink.gif
But it's not necessary in the literal sense.

In the hardcore audiophilia sense, it's not only necessary, but insufficient.
wink.gif

No idea about the other system you mentioned.

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabedamien
Actually, you know what, screw it, several minutes of searching and reading later and I'm sold. Seems like precisely the kind of setup I was looking for. Even look attractive.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to the mod who moved this thread to the correct spot.

Yeah, I kinda ignored your $100 budget and moved on to the $150 one and went "hmm, $50 more and he could get the Swans...and he even said 'I might consider spending slightly more on the speakers now' ".
tongue.gif
See what kinda mindset we have here...want a reason to spend more money than you intended, this is the place to be at.
icon10.gif

Actually you missed a crazy Swan M200 special by a week...if you had looked into this just last week, you could've gotten the Swans at a ridiculous steal. I picked up mine mainly because they were being sold as mint B-stocks for $125 at The Audio Insider (after shipping to Hawaii it was still close to $200 though), which I think is the only place you can buy Swan M200s currently in the U.S. At that price it was definitely time for me to upgrade speakers, and it is definitely an upgrade. I've been listening to these practically non-stop since receiving them. Unfortunately it seems they've sold out already of the B-stocks.

I did at one time attempt to build a bookshelf speaker system...and I must say I never want to have to attempt that again. Amps, speakers, speaker cables, interconnects, power cords, speaker stands, dampening...good grief. And whether or not I had planned it, by the time I was done, I was near $1000 for the whole system. Eventually I got rid of it all in favor of a simpler PC speaker setup. My memory of that is why I say I wish I had bought the M200s LONG ago.

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Ok i think im gonna get the swan m200 now. One thing im worried about now is the whether i have enough bass for gaming (first person shooters and WoW
tongue.gif
). I will proboly order them from the audio insider too.

Vertigo, do you use a sub woofer with your swans or do you find the bass to be sufficient?

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 17
I personally find the bass to be sufficient, but I did buy them for music mainly, so a tight, taut bass is all I really need. I do some gaming myself but it's mainly console RPGs, so bass for gaming purposes isn't a huge consideration for me. But if you're used to a sub, you're definitely going to be missing the extremely low frequencies. Sometimes I run into songs where I end up only hearing the really low frequencies, but the usual visceral wave I expect from a sub goes missing almost entirely. I think most bookshelves are like this in any event so the Swans aren't particularly deficient here...they can execute low bass audibly but not viscerally, not unless you're at higher volume levels. But, honestly speaking, you may not get the bass you're looking for in FPS games with just bookshelves.

I've only had these for a week and I'm not entirely sure B-stocks are burned in or not. If they're not, I do know the major thing that improves with break in with the M200s is the bass. So far I have felt that the bass has improved over the week and has started going deeper, tighter, and more impactful than out of the box. Nonetheless I still have my Midiland subwoofer out...I'll see in a month if I feel the bass is adequate or not, and if not, I'll daisy chain the Midiland sub into my setup.

Once the month's up, I do plan on writing up a review on these.
cool.gif
Currently I'm still sizing them up, seeing what different physical placement and angles does to them, whether changing interconnects help, and whether they need burn in time.

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 17
that's great vertigo. Well i am used to a sub but im not a bass freak. Just in case though, if i ever decided to get a sub, how would i connect it all together? Sorry bout these questions, im inexperienced when it comes to this stuff.

Oct 8, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 17
Well, with your PC, I assume you'd probably have to split the signal using a 1/8th splitter cable that has two 1/8th jacks. Then you'd plug the Swans into one side, and the subwoofer into the other.

The bigger concern is getting a subwoofer with a proper crossover frequency to match the Swans. In my case, the Midiland sub is very good and it clearly keeps its bass in the lower frequencies only, but I have my doubts as to whether it'd sync properly with the Swans, and it's not adjustable. I'd consider it no big loss though if I can't get it working with the M200s. You ideally want an active sub with adjustable crossover, and those aren't cheap I think...they could easily cost as much or more than the Swans. If the crossover frequency for the sub is incorrect, you'll end up with bass that intrudes into the lower mids of what the Swans should be producing, and end up with a sub that you can clearly locate. Ideally you shouldn't be able to locate where bass is coming from. I think Swan makes one called the Sub200, but it costs $200 or more if I remember. Most PC speaker subs are NOT going to work out with the Swans, so unless you're willing to spend bucks on a good sub, it's best to forget about adding a sub to the Swans.

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 17
I recently picked up a set of Swans M200. They sound nice for money, are easy to use and compare reasonably to my Mission M73 floorstanders. I think they have more bass than the Missions, but the Missions bass is a bit faster and better controlled. The M200 is a little lacking in detail, but they are very easy to listen to. They have sort of a warm tube-like sound.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 17
if you already have a decent sound card like chaintech av710 or better, and the sonic tamp, then the acoustic research s10 is a very good choice. you can find it on ebay. it's $90 before shipping had this same setup and it astonish for the price. the amp can drive the speaker loud enough for a bedroom and the bass loud enough. its really smooth and nice sounding. aside from that its small and nice looking, can possible fit on your computer desk if you cant buy speaker stands.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 17
The Swans M200 speakers arrived today. Been listening to them for most of the day, they sound great. I'm very happy overall.

They're surprisingly hefty. They look great, and I can see where people are coming from when they say it really exudes quality . Of course, the sound is what matters, and there it hasn't disappointed so far. If this is how it sounds running 128-192 kbps AAC's out of a laptop, then when I'm running CD's using a DAC I can't see wishing for better in a University setting. Especially not for the price, even if I missed the special sale.
smily_headphones1.gif

It definitely does seem odd to look at these two imposing monoliths producing very enjoyable sound and to call them "computer speakers."

Oct 19, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 17
you got your's already? When did you order them? Who from? I ordered mine from the the audio insider ten days ago and the order is still "pending" but then again thats probobly because i live in the UK.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back