Baroque Music Appreciation Thread, v.1.1
Oct 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #46 of 73
I don't have a favorite work but I love a lot it. Telemann was the last composer I had on my play list. I love the Cd's of Ton Koopman and I wish can I get more. In fact, I'm glad this thread came up because now that I think about it, I will dedicate the next 12 months of listening to more Baroque and Renaissance music. There should probably be a thread on Renaissance music too.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #47 of 73

Quote:
 I think this thread is the right one to mention a good deal  on amazon
  http://www.amazon.com/Freiburger-Barockorchester/dp/B0054MEHZ8/ref=pd_luc_sbs_03_04_t_lh
Freiburger Barockorchester may not be the most flamboyant baroque group  out there, but they have a solid reputation and a knack for finding and recording off-the-beaten-track works. Here is what they have in this collection (which I have just ordered)

The set looks really enticing.  Calaf, can you tell us how are the write-ups in the booklet?  -- I expect it to be skimpy, but I'll order it too if it is anything more than a track listing.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #48 of 73
This is a cool CD, not my favorite of all time but very cool:

Beginning with Monteverdi

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #49 of 73

Quote:

The set looks really enticing.  Calaf, can you tell us how are the write-ups in the booklet?  -- I expect it to be skimpy, but I'll order it too if it is anything more than a track listing.

unfortunately the write-ups are little more than the track listings: for each CD they have a page of track listings, and a page with a pretty picture and the full listing of the musicians playing, and the instruments they used.

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #50 of 73

I'm listening to Linn classical radio http://www.linn.co.uk/music#radio

I just clicked on "Winamp" and it opened in VLC media player.

This station sounds very nice so far.

Currently playing "Scottish Chamber Orchestra - Rondo in C, K.373."

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #51 of 73

Wow the next song was "La Serenissima - Sonata 'Graz' (No.2) for violin & continuo in B minor, RV 37 Allegro"

I love this one!!
____

Next up: "Pamela Thorby - Wat zal men op Avond doen ('Der Flutyen Lust-hof')"

I feel like I just rediscovered the radio or something, this feels like a revelation!

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #53 of 73
Would love to know what everyones favorite Bach's St Mathews Passion is?

I'm very partial to Gustav Leonhardt's on BMG. Very paced, he brings out every subtlety in a very subtle way.

Superb recording too.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #54 of 73
I own two St Matthew Passion on disc: the Gardiner one, which I find very exciting in the beginning (their antiphonal chorus has a big WOW! factor), but unable to sustain that emotional impact in the more spiritual parts, and the second Herreweghe recording which is so-well sung that it hurts (the cast reads like a who's who of sacred music singers: Scholl, Gura, Henschel, Bostridge as the very touching Evangelist, and Selig as Christ). As I read somewhere this the only St Matthew Passion that doesn't give you the urge to skip over the recitatives. I'll check the Leonhardt one you recommend: I like pace :)

BTW, the most hair-raising performance of St Matthew Passion I have heard was a live one from a modern orchestra from Stuttgart (can't remember who was directing, or who were the soloists). Double choir (one was a kids choir!), big orchestral forces. In the beginning it felt as if they were going to blow out the roof of this beautiful Roman church in Pisa, but almost immediately they switched into this sweet, hushed tone that kept us warm for the rest of the evening. Also, nobody can sing German as convincingly  as German singers...

Quote:
Would love to know what everyones favorite Bach's St Mathews Passion is?

I'm very partial to Gustav Leonhardt's on BMG. Very paced, he brings out every subtlety in a very subtle way.

Superb recording too.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #56 of 73
Thanks for those recommendations calaf and Arnaldo. I've never heard the Herreweghe or Veldhoven so I'm going to try and check them out.

I've just finished downloading a version from the Dunedin Consort & Players. John Butt is director, Nicholas Mulroy- Evangelist, Matthew Brook-Jesus. It makes for a great listening experience simply because of the fantastic HD recording. It's only my first listen but I'm engrossed already. It's in contrast to my recommendation above and has a more aggressive approach, or it may be the faster tempos or because everything is closely mic'd. Every voice is audible and the voices and intruments are perfectly balanced.  Anyhow can't help but recommend at this stage.   

Just went to amazon to copy the cover pic and its got stirling reviews there too!

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #60 of 73
I'd like to resurrect this thread with one I stumbled over tonight.  An interesting version of the great Chaconne, different to the few rather masculine versions I've heard. Quite relaxed as one listener has observed.  I think I like the feminine touch.  Interested to hear other impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back