Bank desposited my last paycheck twice. Advice?
Nov 17, 2004 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
On November 4th, I deposited a check for $654.67 and took some cash out of it bringing the actual deposit to $554.67. Well, the following day, the whole check was deposited again in the amount of $654.67. I know there's a period of time where they can no longer rectify the situation.

Does anyone know what this period of time is?

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 35
Don't worry, man.

When the bank makes a mistake, it's not their fault.

When you make a mistake, it's your fault.

rolleyes.gif

Well, if you really want to keep the money, open a new account at another bank, and transfer all of your money there.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 35
They will catch it. They will correct it. You wont get to keep it. Remove all the wishfull thoughts from your mind.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Don't worry, man.

When the bank makes a mistake, it's not their fault.

When you make a mistake, it's your fault.

rolleyes.gif

Well, if you really want to keep the money, open a new account at another bank, and transfer all of your money there.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I don't think the bank will know which $647 is his. When they find out they'll just correct their mistake by deducting $647 from his account. My advice would be to just let it sit there for a good long time before you even think about spending it.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 35
Let the bank know about their mistake. It's the only honest thing to do.

Even if you don't inform the bank of their mistake, they will catch it and you will still be liable for this amount. This is true even if you close your account or move the funds to another account or different bank.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 35
Inform them of the error after you make sure YOU didnt make an error and that you certainly didnt have two checks there.

Dont expect them to reward you or anything
tongue.gif
Just give yourself several nights of sweet dreams without the guilt associated with doing the wrong thing in this situation.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Return it, it's not yours.

Agreed..... honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, it took me a long time to realise it but it's true.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 35
I can't believe there is even a question about what to do...give it back.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 35
Hey,

I appreciate the responses. However, I KNOW there is a legal limit to the amount of days they can catch their error within. I read this epic tale about a guy who cashed a junk mail fake check for $95,000 and got to keep it because they didn't notify him quickly enough.

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/vie...d=11&page_id=2

Tomorrow, it will have been two weeks since the initial deposit and one days shy of the deposit in error. The morality isn't the issue here. I want to educate myself on the legality of something like this. In the story, they said 48 hours and then mentioned a 10 day period called the Midnight Deadline. I'm more or less trying to find out if you guys know anything about a situation like this,

Thanks,
Ash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back