Bang & Olufsen Beoplay HX
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #46 of 56
That breakdown is helpful. It's still a bit tough to justify the steep price unless I can find it for at least $200 less. It sounds like the Portal might be a good alternative though.

H95 have been on offer during the black friday week on the B&O official store for something like £560 (vs £700 RRP).

What country do you live in?

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #48 of 56
Prices on these have currently dropped which made me decide to try again.

After living with in ears for a year (shure 846 / Btr5 I must say I rather like these b&o’s

The sound could be described as neutral, with a touch of warmth.

The eq function is nice when applied carefully.

The headphones are really comfortable.

What I don’t like are the wired connections on offer. It makes me have to fiddle with the headphone volume and the device volume. I think the headphones internal amp should just take a backseat at a fixed volume level.
With a usb connection the headphone won’t play loud enough. So both these options are a bit weak. As such the HX for me is purely a Bluetooth headphone.

Wired function works better on the Px7 for instance.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #51 of 56
Hi!
Could someone confirm me if HX case could be compatible to use with h7?

Thanks!

Can't guarantee as I don't have the H7, but it is compatible with the H9 3rd Gen, so I'd say yes.

Given the very small differences in design between H7 and H9 3rd Gen. The only thing that comes to my mind is that H9 ear cushions are a bit thicker + have a thicker metallic ear "cup" (where the touch controls on one side and the battery on the other side are located), but still it shouldn't be an issue.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #53 of 56
And how is the quality? Is it recommended taking to account the asking price (75€)?

Regarding both headphone models, any comparison between Hx & H7?

Thanks!

I'd say quality is okay. Unless you want it specifically because it's "BANG & OLUFSEN" branded, then just buy a third party one for ¼ of the price.

Sorry I haven't heard the H7. But I can tell you that H9 3rd Gen are much better than the XH.
In some countries you can find the H9 3rd Gen brand new for ridiculous price.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 56
Can't guarantee as I don't have the H7, but it is compatible with the H9 3rd Gen, so I'd say yes.

Given the very small differences in design between H7 and H9 3rd Gen. The only thing that comes to my mind is that H9 ear cushions are a bit thicker + have a thicker metallic ear "cup" (where the touch controls on one side and the battery on the other side are located), but still it shouldn't be an issue.

Could you show me a picture of h9 3rd inside the case? Almost decided to buy it…

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #55 of 56

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #56 of 56
Could you show me a picture of h9 3rd inside the case? Almost decided to buy it…

Sorry mate for the delay, hadn't seen your reply.

Here some images: https://imgur.com/a/vFxltqM

A few considerations, after some testing: I suggest not to buy the B&O HX case if that's for the H9 3rd Gen or any other B&O headphones previous to the HX.

The H9 3rd Gen are slightly thicker than the HX, especially in the headband, as you can see in the comparison images. This causes the case to be very tight with them in.

In the closed case image (not closed with the zip), the first one is with the HX inside, the second one is with the H9 3rd Gen inside. You can see the difference.

You can still close it with the zip even if it has the H9 3rd Gen inside, however I wouldn't recommend it as in the long run it could damage the zip of the case or risk damaging the headphones.

The good news is that on Amazon there's literally billions of cases made for the H7/9, so you'll easily find a fit for purpose replacement - even though it won't have "BANG & OLUFSEN" printed on.

I'm hoping you guys are around. I've always like on ear headphones for working out. I jog with a pair of wired Koss Porta Pros that I really love. I consider that my baseline for sound. It can't get any worse. I have a pair of Audeze LCD-4s for home listening that are excellent.

I've found I love wearing bluetooth on ear for working out (lifting weights). I currently have a pair of Koss Porta Pro bluetooth which are really quirky. Ready for an upgrade. Crazy how headphone manufacturers aren't making on ear.

I ordered a pair of Adidas RPT-02. I know. Adidas? At first, they sounded a bit muddy. Worse than the Koss, so they were going to go back. I kept them playing awhile and they are clearing up and just edge out the Porta Pros. So I think I'm done.

But, found a pair of used Bang & Olfusen H8i's in very good shape (build date Nov 2018). Everything I read says the sound is really great for a small on ear.

Should I return the Adidas and go for the H8i's? I just hope they are snug enough to stay in place. Just light / moderate weightlifting.

Are you happy with the Adidas? If so, I'd stick with them. They're designed for use in the gym, they'll get worn out in a way that's less evident than the H8i, and their battery lasts forever if you get the solar powered ones.

Not to mention that they have washable (and hence, replaceable) ear cushions and headband.

H8i may sound a bit better and definitely look much better (they're also slightly lighter), but they'll make your ears sweaty as the ear cups in leather aren't as breathable as the sponge ones from Adidas.

Also, you'll need to buy in advance a few pairs of replacement ear cushions because B&O may run out of stock very soon and once they do you won't have anywhere to buy them (and they ain't cheap https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/int/accessories/beoplay-h8i-cushions ), especially if you get the pink or natural colour variants, as their leather wears down extremely easily, see my H9 3rd Gen after a bit more than just a year (of extremely delicate use): https://imgur.com/a/J5nPits

Also, H8i have a on-head sensor that's known to be very easy to accidentally trigger, which I can imagine would bother you especially during workouts. You can disable the sensor if you wish though.

Last thing: even though the Adidas have longer battery life, just be aware that the battery of H8i can be easily replaced (even if you have to unscrew the ear cup that holds it), and can be found easily for cheap money (AHB723938, same part shared with all of their "non-easily-swappable-battery" headphones except H4 that have a smaller one, so same as the newer HX, Portal and H95).

I personally haven't listened to the H8i so can't comment on their sound quality.

Happy choice! 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back