Bang & Olufsen Beoplay HX
Apr 7, 2021 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking about buying a pair of Beoplay HX mainly to work from home. I have used a H8i for many years and also H9. The reviews says the sound signature changes quite a bit towards a more neutral aspect, removing the attenuated bass found in the older models. That is something that attracts me greatly, so looking forward to hear about it. Also the adaptive ANC seems like a major improvement from the predecessors. I wonder how that compares with competition (Airpod Max, Sony wh-1000xm4, Bower & Wilkins PX7)? Not that it would lead me to any of them, but just out of curiosity.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 56
I guess this is the official thread, then?

I own the first-gen H9 so I’m long overdue for an upgrade. Should be grabbing the HX in the next month or so but the recent announcement of the Portal might have put a wrench in those plans. I’m a heavy Xbox gamer so it’s like the Portals were made for me. Thing is, I’m very much preferring the aesthetics of the HX.

Very interested in any comparisons coming up, though YouTube content for the HX and the Portal seems to be pretty sparse at the moment.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 56
I guess this is the official thread, then?

I'm wondering if it would be interesting or not to have a common thread for the HX and Portal (although I'm not expecting them to sound similarly and the Portal's entire discussion around the Xbox connectivity is irrelevant to the HX) ?

A video on the HX right there :

I believe that the wear sensors are capacitive and are located here :
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 10.19.24.png

You can see the little lead plunging into the body of the earcup to join the electronics down there. The other lead is for the inwards mic which is located at the centre right above the drivers.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 56
Bought and have now received my new HX. When comparing with H9 first gen and H8i that I used to own, the sound signature is quite different with a more neutral bass response. I suppose reading about the signature made me choose them over competition. Instrument separation is very nice and the ANC definitely improved significantly over the H8i. Working with it in an open office is a blast. I don't like B&O equalization function in the app, but I am loving the neutral sound and I tend to not use any equalization after all with any of my cans. One thing I liked a lot is how quick it is to turn them on and off with a fast click in the power button (the older models was way slower). All in all very good first impression. Can't comment on a lot of competitors because I have only tried the Sony's and older models of B&O. Have never heard the Airpod Max, B&O H95 or B&W PX7.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 56
Bought these last week, first impressions:

Build quality is exemplary, these are easily the most well crafted anc Bluetooth headphones I’ve held.

ANC is very functional, with no hiss and hardly any change in sound signature.

Sound quality is a different story. Comparing these to say Dali Io6 or Shure Aonic 50 it’s clear that they display the same kind of neutral leaning sound signature. The shure and especially the Dali sound more natural, less processed and less digital. For sound quality alone the Dali is my clear winner here.

However the HX have a very forgiving and relaxed tendency to their sound. Nothing ever gets too much. They are a relaxed sounding pair of headphones that do allright with almost any type of music.

the included case is the best case I’ve seen supplied with any of these type of headphone. It feels really protective and has room for extras, like a dac, dongle or cable.

Overall conclusion. As a package this is a clear winner: Features, accessories, easy of use, build quality. For Sound quality alone there are better options if you want a neutral sound.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 56
Haven't posted here in years, but then I haven't bought new headphones in some time.

Last nice pair of headphones I bought were the Beoplay H6 2nd Gen models. I think I got them in 2016? They'e been my primary headphones other than a pair of AirPods which I use primarily for podcasts and phone calls.

To be upfront, I really like the way my H6s sound. So generally was looking for something that would replicate that listening experience.

I've been sort of wanting to pull the trigger on some wireless headphones with ANC for a long time but had trouble finding something that I liked as much as my H6s.

The Sony's reputation for being base heavy always turned me off, I have an aversion to Bose that I can't always justify but it's there none the less, the various iterations of the Sennheiser Momentums I never found super pleasing, and the Beoplay offerings always had tons of caveats (bad ANC, janky touch controls, apparently weird sound, no case, etc...).

When Apple announced their over ears I was initially excited but the cost, weight, that case, etc...

When the HX came out I decide to go ahead and take the risk.

I've had them for a week so far and I'm super glad I made the plunge.

Coming from the H6 2nd Gen the headphones sound really similar to my ears. Mostly neutral with maybe very slightly bumped up bass and treble. In other words they seem to be following a Harman curve. But that's just my ears speaking maybe someone will prove me desperately wrong with some science at some point. Either way I like how they sound.

Comfort wise they're basically the same as the H6s with the headband being a tad more comfortable actually (it's got more padding for sure). And not having a cord I'm constantly catching on things is great. I have small ears so the round shape of the pads has never been a problem for me on Beoplay headphones, I can totally see how it could be an issue for others though. My ears however, fit completely inside without touching anything.

The touch controls aren't nearly as bothersome as I thought they'd be and they require a fairly deliberate touch that means you're not accidentally hitting things and they're pretty responsive in my week or so of use.

The ANC maybe isn't the best ever (my AirPod Pros do a better job) but it's just fine for my uses and does a great job on any noises that are fairly constant and a reasonably good job on other stuff.

The transparency mode is great though slightly high pitched compared to my AirPods which sound a tad more natural and something I find myself using a lot these days now that I've got kids and need to be able to hear them when they're calling for me.

I saw some reviews saying ANC drastically affected the sound signature of the headphones so I was a bit worried about that.

However, maybe I'm going deaf or maybe a more recent firmware update fixed things but I can't honestly hear any real change in the sound signature with ANC in it's different modes. There's a slight pressure difference when it's active but I've never used ANC that didn't cause a bit of that. Otherwise I can't tell a difference.

The app is shockingly good too and stays connected much better than past similar apps I've used for other products.

Battery life is good enough it's not something I find myself thinking about.

The case is really nice, thiner than I figured it would be but not exactly small. Will see how it travels this summer.

My only real critique is that the cables it comes with are trash. Really cheap feeling and roughly finished. They look and feel like something you'd get for free with something you bought off of AliExpress or Banggood that doesn't have a brand name. People liked to complain about the cables that came wit the H6s but they were great in comparison. Given B&O already make relatively nice cables for their H95s it's a weird corner to cut.

So yeah I'm very happy, with the caveat that this is coming from someone who really likes the sound of the Beoplay H6 2nd Gen and who has small ears that don't mind round headphone pads.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 56
I own the first-gen H9 so I’m long overdue for an upgrade. Should be grabbing the HX in the next month or so but the recent announcement of the Portal might have put a wrench in those plans. I’m a heavy Xbox gamer so it’s like the Portals were made for me. Thing is, I’m very much preferring the aesthetics of the HX.

Have you ever tried the Arctis 9X headset? I bought a pair over a year ago now and they've been great for gaming purposes and work pretty well for movies in a pinch too. The only issues were I wish they had a transparency mode and the cloth pads were a bit itchy for me, they've got some fake leather cushions though that fixed that.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 56
I’ve returned mine. The HX is a very weird sounding headphone. The sound has a very digital and distorted edge to it. The bass is fake and unnatural. More like puffs of air than actual bass.

anc does change the sound a lot (but only on high) on medium the signature doesn’t really change.

for sound Dali Io6 is the noise canceller to beat in my opinion.

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 56
So, what are your findings?

Sorry for the delay in my reply!

Here a recap and comparison to the H9 3rd Gen. Summary: extremely disappointed.

Pain points of the HX compared to H9 3rd Gen:
  • they are clearly built and designed to be cheaper (for B&O, not for the end user) than the H9 3rd Gen, and the built quality and polishing is inferior (if you want to know more, ask and I'll elaborate)
  • the touch controls are MUCH worse (for both software and hardware reasons, if you want to know more about this, ask and I'll elaborate)
  • ANC (set at max) is slightly worse than the one of H9 3rd Gen (yep... unbelievable, isn't it?)
  • ear cushions are of worse quality in both memory foam filling and in softness of the leather
  • they lack "quick transparency" mode (to enable transparency max and simultaneously pause the music), which H9 3rd Gen had
  • the connection between B&O app and headphones is awful, most of the times you have to try 5-6 times before they connect successfully, when they do they take minutes to connect, and still they often disconnected suddenly (never ever had a problem like this with the H9v3, their connection with the app was flawless)
  • adjusting sound modes and EQ in the app has a delay in applying that to the headphones, while with H9v3 it was absolutely instantaneous
  • the Voice Assistant integration is rubbish, while the H9v3 had proper Google Assistant integration
  • physical buttons had a better feedback on H9v3 than they do on HX
  • even though they have aptX Adaptive (which is back compatible with aptX classic and aptX HD), they lack aptX Low Latency that the H9v3 had, and which is to date still the only way to enjoy latency-free video/audio streaming (standalone Bluetooth aptX Low Latency transmitters do exist, standalone Bluetooth aptX Adaptive transmitters don't exist and apparently never will)
  • they don't support analogue passive mode (the H9v3 did), so when they run out of battery you can't use them at all (also, if something electronic breaks down you won't be able to use them anymore, while the H9v3 could work anyway even if part of the electronic was damaged)
  • sound-wise, they are very very balanced (the H9v3 are as well fairly balanced with just a slight emphasis on low frequencies), maybe even too much in that lows actually are a bit lacking (and I'm a guy that prefer bright sounding headphones to warm/boomy sounding ones), and the issue is that if you use Beosonic (the app EQ) to improve bass, if you listen with volume above 60% or so, the drivers won't handle that and will crack continuously LOUDLY, making it literally impossible to listen to the headphones (no such issue with the H9 3rd Gen, no matter how much you crank up the bass)
Advantages of the HX over H9 3rd Gen:
  • ANC and Transparency "strength" can be customised in the app (even though it's done in a very inefficient and no-sense way - unlike for instance Jabra headphones)
  • they have a mute button for when you're in calls and want to mute the microphone
  • Better battery life
  • aptX HD support (via aptX Adaptive fallback)
  • better microphones for when you're on calls
  • they don't have anymore the prone-to-fail fiddly power-on switch (replaced by a button)
  • newer Bluetooth platform (5.1 vs 4.2), even though it doesn't actually bring any practical improvement in either connection reliability, latency, or sound quality
  • they've got Google Fast Pair and Microsoft Swift Pair, which are handy
  • they come with a very nice carrying case
Generic thing to point out, since "officially" they deny it: ear cushions are interchangeable between H9 3rd Gen and HX, they have the exact same attachment.

In my opinion (I've read things I disagree with, about this) ANC affects more the sound "quality" (I'd rather say "sound signature" though, it makes it SLIGHTLY more bass boosted and with slightly decreased soundstage) with H9v3, while on the HX it's almost imperceptible.

ANC is similar (as I said) on H9v3 and HX, but even slightly better in H9v3 (also because they have better passive noise attenuation due to the better quality ear cushions). This is not only a disappointment because... Well it's obvious, given it's a newer model I'd have expected better ANC, but also because the HX shares part of the electronic platform with the H95 (i.e. the Bluetooth chipset, Bluetooth version, Bluetooth features and certifications, the fact they both only work if powered on, the adjustable ANC and transparency, etc) including the disadvantages (no passive mode), but still the H95 has MUCH better ANC than HX (and H9 3rd Gen).

"Adaptive ANC" (you can toggle it on/off via the app, has nothing to do with the ANC level you can set) is a total gimmick, it has no effect at all.

Wear detection is OKish, I've had Plantronics BackBeat Pro that had PROPER on-head detection (instant to detect you took them off your head, while here you've got a few seconds delay, and fade-in to play when you put them back on your head).

Both headphones support digital audio via USB-C, but neither of them support the microphone when used via USB-C or 3.5mm (unlike Beoplay Portal).

Comfort is very similar, the ear cushions are much better in H9v3, but the clamping force is much much lower in HX (that's positive because they won't "squeeze" your head as much, but also negative because they'll be less stable on your head if you move it).

Any questions, feel free to ask! 🙂

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 56
Expanding on the generic quality and touch control points mentioned in my previous comment:

--- QUALITY ---

In regards to the lower quality I've mentioned, HX is an "old" project within B&O, then the partnership with Microsoft/Xbox was announced and the Portal project was started, and they shifted most resources to it (in term of development, manufacturing, testing and marketing).

The HX have been released just for the sake of not wasting the time and money spent on them during early development, but it's a "dead" product for B&O, they haven't invested in it and won't do that in the future (i.e. with proper firmware upgrades).

Check how many Twitter posts the Portal have got on the official B&O account. Then check how many the HX have got. Same goes for Beoplay Portal review samples sent to Amazon Vine users and to influencers. Compare that to what they did to promote HX.

HX have been released without an instruction manual. They just had a quick start guide with no useful information (i.e. about the multifunctional button for summoning voice assistant or muting the mic in calls). They got a (crappy) instruction manual weeks after release, after I've contacted them multiple times to have one. H9v3 and Portal got one at lunch. And go look at how much detailed is the user manual of the Portal compared to the one of the HX. It even contains contradicting information (i.e. ANC can't be used during calls or when the headphones are used via 3.5mm jack, which is not true). Some parts are a copy-paste from the Portal user manual, and even in the B&O app the "plugin" of the HX in some places mentions the Portal instead of the HX.

The serial number of the H9v3, together with the manufacturer's address, the FCC ID, and all of the certification stuff, is printed on the inner side of the earcup, under and around the ear cushions. It genuinely looks sleek and premium. The same information for the HX, are written on a sticker around the earcup that's not even applied in a good way (you can see in some points it's not adhering properly to the plastic surface, with the result of having some ugly kind of "air bubbles"), and which screams "cheap" from miles of distance.

The ear cushions are just not as soft and comfy as the H9v3 ones, the HX ones feel cheaper.

The BANG & OLUFSEN logo glued on the carrying case is not parallel to the top/bottom sides, it's slightly tilted by a few degrees.

Check the headphones rendering images on B&O website. You'll notice the buttons have some good looking and tidy icons printed ON the buttons (i.e. the ANC icon, a mute icon for the round multifunctional button, and a power and Bluetooth icons on the two sides of the power/pairing button). Well, on the production model of the HX they have cheaped out and changed those to some much uglier icons (and entirely removed the mute icon, which led many people to wonder what the *** that button is for, since it's not mentioned in the quick start guide or in the online support FAQs, nor in the "instructions" part in the B&O app).

Portal supports the microphone over USB-C and 3.5mm, the HX don't. In the B&O app, the Portal tell you what input method they're using (Bluetooth, USB-C, etc). The HX don't. Also, the HX plugin in the B&O app has bugged volume control (H9v3 doesn't and never had, not sure about the Portal though).

The Google Fast Pair implementation is bugged and B&O don't care to fix it providing the correct B&O app ID.

The battery size is the same in HX and Portal. With all of the additional hardware the Portal got inside (for the Xbox connectivity and microphones for the virtual boom arm), I'm sure they could have fit in the HX a larger battery. And remember, the Portal are even slightly lighter than the HX and have more comfortable ear cushions. Yet, the same price (ok HX got the case, but how much does that cost to them, $5?).

And again, how can you release a "premium" pair of headphones with almost no bass and if you try to enhance the bass a bit with the in-app EQ, your drivers can't stand it and crack like no tomorrow? Honestly, it's pathetic.

--- TOUCH CONTROLS ---

The touch controls in the HX are worse than those on the H9v3. Why? The aluminium surface on the H9v3 is "flat", while on the HX it has some concentric "grooves" that create additional distance (air) between your finger and the actual capacitive touch sensor that's behind the aluminium external surface. Because of this, touch inputs are not detected as well as they are on the H9v3.

Because of this, you have to press harder with your finger for the touch input to he recognised, but this creates two issues:
  • for volume adjustment, the finger won't slide as smoothly as on the smooth surface of the H9v3, so to prevent sudden and unwanted volume adjustments, they have lowered by more than half the "steps" of volume adjustment that the headphones have (on a scale 1-100, the H9v3 can be adjusted in step of 2 points, while the HX go in steps of 5-6 points)
  • for track changes (next/prev track), you'll have to slide your finger horizontally, which means AGAINST the "grain" of the grooves. Good ****ing luck.
B&O idiotic engineers haven't considered this side effect when choosing to use aluminium discs with grooves where previously they always used (from H7 to H9v3) flat brushed aluminium discs.

In addition to that, they have removed the AWESOME swipe-up feature of the H9v3 that allowed you to quickly chat to people around you (with swipe up you'd both pause the music and set transparency at max level, and another swipe up would resume media playback and switch off transparency, bringing you back to either ANC on or off as it was before you engaged transparency).

Now, if you have to talk to people with the headphones on, you have to enable transparency (with the ANC button, one press or two presses depending on the mode you previously were in) and pause the music (by a single tap in the center of the touch panel - again, good luck with that thanks to the god-awful touch controls).

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 56
Wait... you actually enjoyed them? :)

I actually like the less touchy/responsive touch controls, and at least in my case I've found very deliberate touches work quite well. However the loss of the swipe up sucks. I didn't even know the H9v3s had that.

That said, I just keep doing what I used to do with my H6s which is to place one ear cup behind my ear when I need to talk to someone. Low tech habitual solution from when I had low tech headphones. :)

When you mentioned the ear pads being the same connection as the previous H9v3s, you're only partially right. It looks identical but as far as I can tell after actually trying to put some H9v3 cushions on my HXs, the H9 cushions are actually like a mm or so less wide which makes the fit very difficult and of course the L and R doesn't actually line up correctly either even if you do manage to jam them on there.

I'm sorry to hear they're not committed to supporting these if that's indeed true (do you know something for sure?) because I do enjoy them and they're expensive enough I was hoping to get a good chunk of time out of them.

I looked at the Portals and I mostly game on Xbox so those features wold have been nice, but my Arctis 9xs work fine for that honestly and having my headphones connected to my Phone and Computer simultaneously is very convenient which the Portals don't seem to do. The portal drivers also look weirdly jammed into the ear cups (compared to the HXs) which made me wonder as well though most people seem to like how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back