Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
May 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #226 of 374

When I demo'ed the H8 it felt really tight on my head and not very comfortable at all. I felt a lot of pressure on my ears. The SQ also sounded less balanced than the H6 with more of a 'consumer' tuning to my ears. I also realised that even though it is great to be able to cancel out ambient noise whilst travelling, I was not willing to live with the compromise of a lesser quality sound because of the ANC technology. I also own the Beoplay A2 bluetooth speaker and lose connection every time I go into another room. It sounds great though but I now leave my phone next to it while moving around so their bluetooth is still a little shady IMO.

I use H6 for commuting which is fairly good at passive noise isolation when you are about 50% volume, which is my listening level. Happy with the choice, although I am patiently waiting for the Centrance HiFi Skyn which has a dac/amp within an iPhone case so this should hopefully be an amazing combination for on the go.

That sucks, I was hopping the fit and SQ would be about the same or close to. I also read in an amazon review that the H8 is a smaller version of the H6, making it an onear which is a big "no thanks" for me. Too bad, I was hoping this would be a nice alternative to the M2 which I don't think is going to cut it for me.

May 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #227 of 374
  Auditioned:
Forward bass, not heavy but very prominent. Have never heard music presented this way before. It took a while to adapt to the sound. Might be nice, in the long run? Don't know if it is HiFi, really. Would guess it is towards the Beat ideal.
Noice canceling is working, couldn't hear the salesman.
Treble is analog sounding, not CD like at all.

Anyone else listened to the H8?
Any questions?

sorry to ask, what do you mean by treble is analog sounding and not cd like at all? does it sound like the singer is in front of you? thank you.

May 17, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #228 of 374

sorry to ask, what do you mean by treble is analog sounding and not cd like at all? does it sound like the singer is in front of you? thank you.

Hi! 
The treble is not SHRILL at all, it is quite pleasant. What one reacts to is the BASS presentation, these headphones signature. See if you can audition a pair and you'll see what I mean!
Regards

May 17, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #229 of 374

Hi! 
The treble is not SHRILL at all, it is quite pleasant. What one reacts to is the BASS presentation, these headphones signature. See if you can audition a pair and you'll see what I mean!
Regards

thank you. just bought oppo pm3 recently, they are highly rated on the internet, after 2 weeks of listening im now planning to sell it. treble is laid back, bass is not impressive enough. when you watch movies, those explosion scenes just do not give you the impact. when you play billie jean, it does not make you dance. Just my opinion. hope that the h8 will be a totally different thing. at least better treble than the pm3.

May 17, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #230 of 374
  That sucks, I was hopping the fit and SQ would be about the same or close to. I also read in an amazon review that the H8 is a smaller version of the H6, making it an onear which is a big "no thanks" for me. Too bad, I was hoping this would be a nice alternative to the M2 which I don't think is going to cut it for me.

I thought this was in the same league as the M2 personally, I also thought it was more comfortable even though it was a on ear headphone and typically I can't stand on ear headphones as I have rather large ears and a larger than normal head. I want to note, I didnt think this was tight fitting at all, for my rather large head (one that barely could fit the Parrot Zik2) its almost loose fitting, the headband can be loosened with some bending (like most other headphones) and the ear cups were soft and cushioned enough not to create any unwanted pressure after id say 1-2 hrs listening (they do get warm though).

SQ.. to each his own, I wanted something fun, wireless, good looking/compact for travel, with NC this did the trick better than anything else I had extensively tried on the market including the M2w (on ear and over ear), Zik2, Beats Studio (new version), and Sony ZX770.. when factoring in comfort/SQ/style/portability.

After the B&O H8, my second option would be the M2w (over ear for home, on ear for outdoors).

May 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #232 of 374

I thought this was in the same league as the M2 personally, I also thought it was more comfortable even though it was a on ear headphone and typically I can't stand on ear headphones as I have rather large ears and a larger than normal head. I want to note, I didnt think this was tight fitting at all, for my rather large head (one that barely could fit the Parrot Zik2) its almost loose fitting, the headband can be loosened with some bending (like most other headphones) and the ear cups were soft and cushioned enough not to create any unwanted pressure after id say 1-2 hrs listening (they do get warm though).

SQ.. to each his own, I wanted something fun, wireless, good looking/compact for travel, with NC this did the trick better than anything else I had extensively tried on the market including the M2w (on ear and over ear), Zik2, Beats Studio (new version), and Sony ZX770.. when factoring in comfort/SQ/style/portability.

After the B&O H8, my second option would be the M2w (over ear for home, on ear for outdoors).

Thanks for the feedback. I've been doing some reading and the comfort and sound sig seem to be enough for me to give these a go. Just waiting for amazon to get them back in stock. The M2w sounded pretty good for what they were but the top of my right hear was touching the driver and I just couldn't get them to be comfortable. I also like the design of the H8 better, less bulky and easy to wear around the neck without preventing me turning my head lol. I used to own the vmoda xs which I could wear for about 2-3 hours before it bothered me. Hoping these will be tolerable for more.

May 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #233 of 374
Anyone compared these to the Parrot Zik 2.0?

I just got the H8 today. They are okay.

Bluetooth stability and range is not as good as my SBH80 and the BlueBuds X I auditioned - H8 cuts out for a split second now and then (iPhone 5s). ANC is problematic and the isolation is terrible. If I turn off ANC, I face the wrath of downtown Toronto sound pollution so it's a lose-lose situation. Bus rides trigger ANC and sometimes walking does too. I dunno about you but I walk and take the bus a lot.. those are the two scenarios where I'd be using these predominantly.

The cup's horizontal rotation (very first joint from the cup) was uneven, had to force the right side so the top of the cup could go outwards (away from the head) to the same range as the left side. Very annoying and not 100% fixed. The second joint from the cup (vertical rotation) also has some wiggle on both sides, unlike my H6 which is nice and tight, while still rotating with minimal resistance.

The plastic casing panels are not well aligned. Build quality is down from the H6 for sure. I would rate my H6 as 10/10 build quality and my H8 a 7.5/10.

I might keep them, not sure yet. I just feel like I could buy two headphones that sound better than H8, for less money. If the BT, ANC and build quality was flawless I would have zero complaints.

May 19, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #234 of 374
My zik 2 are going back today as had nothing but trouble in the last few weeks with them, they just wouldn't turn on even though they were fully charged and would require plugging in to a usb plug to get them to "reboot" which is very annoying when you are on your run / gym and no usb plug to hand. Customer service has been a joke so going to swap them to either these or the new Sennheiser wireless. Shame as other than the hardware probs I really liked them.

May 19, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #235 of 374
I can't justify keeping the H8.. They are brilliant in concept but execution, while above average, doesn't justify the price tag.
My Sony SBH80 are better in every regard except perhaps looks. They also sound a lot better and the dual built in mics are the best I've ever used, no one can tell I'm using Bluetooth. I actually feel the Sony wireless buds have better soundstage, which is atypical of bus to can comparison.

May 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #236 of 374
  Thanks for the feedback. I've been doing some reading and the comfort and sound sig seem to be enough for me to give these a go. Just waiting for amazon to get them back in stock. The M2w sounded pretty good for what they were but the top of my right hear was touching the driver and I just couldn't get them to be comfortable. I also like the design of the H8 better, less bulky and easy to wear around the neck without preventing me turning my head lol. I used to own the vmoda xs which I could wear for about 2-3 hours before it bothered me. Hoping these will be tolerable for more.

These are much more comfortable than the Vmoda xs, so worth the trial on that front. The M2w had a more neutral and slightly warm sound sig, the BO have a slight treble and bass boost but being really annoyed by treble boosts and sibilance, I had no problem with the BO and actually enjoyed the sound sig more than the M2w. Comfort wise, my ears didnt touch the driver on the M2w but the weight and the huge ear pads made it uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes. the BOs while over ear have been the most comfortable in the NC/bluetooth/portable headphones that I have tried. Price is absurdly expensive but at least they look the part with quality materials all over and I can't say that about the M2w (those big plastic cups were just silly looking for outdoor use).

In regards to waiting on Amazon, I bought mine from crutchfield and they were great /same price.. Amazon is cracking down on returns for expensive murch, I've had friends get warnings and another get kicked off for returning electronics they weren't satisfied with "too often." I purchase all my big $ electronics from companies that specialize in those areas like One Call, headroom, crutchfield etc.. Good luck with the H8s though, post your thoughts once you get them.

May 21, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #238 of 374
So as my Zik 2 are winging their way back to Parrot which would you lot recommend I try as want a good pair of wireless headphones for my iPhone 5s - Try these and the Sennheiser Wireless ? 

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #240 of 374
Must be my lucky day, received these as a gift today and I'm fairly impressed. They maybe the most comfortable on ear I've tried that has good passive noise isolation, be a tough call between these and the beyer t51 I think. Build quality is excellent, they look great and give the b&w p7 a run for their money when it comes to looks. Upon the first listen the thing that really hits you is the bass, it's big and bold and hits hard and deep. It might almost be too much bass at times, it doesn't drown out the mids but it's bit too much out of balance I think however I'd rather have too much than not enough and it really helps drown out outside noise. I'm a bit undecided about the mids so far, they're smooth but sound a little unnatural I think, vocals especially seem a bit off at times. They also tend to sound a bit recessed and congested with noise cancelling on but overall not too bad. The treble has been done very well, I have no issues with it at all, it's emphasised but not harsh or sibilant and sounds quite natural. The soundstage is quite impressive I find, for an on ear it sounds quite open and spacious, not quite as good as the h6 but well above average in its class.
Used passive and wired these cans sound quite amazing, very rich and engaging, they compete well with similarly priced wired portable headphones imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back