Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Mar 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #196 of 374
You say you put youtube and the PC volume to full when doing this test. I assume this allows you to more fully control the volume on the H8s on theire volume control.

It could be that this high input volume is clipping thr analogue input of the H8,while the other headphones you have tried have more headroom to the large bass signals. It's just a thought. To prove this right or wrong, turn the PC volume down, and turn the H8 up. If it goes away I may be right. If it doesn't B&O has messed up.

Hi, thank you very much for the interesting idea.
But when the h8 is cabled its volume control does not work (like in all or almost all bt headphones). The volume is fixed at a level which seems to me to be its max level.
Anyway, I've said to put YouTube and Windows volumes at max just to be sure people would notice the distortion.
But they actually distort also at medium volume.
So, about your idea, i sincerely don't know what to think. But i wonder why only the h8 among more than 30 bt headphones have this problem. And some of those headphones are really in a much inferior level of quality.

I think it's something wrong in the h8. And the fact that it only happens with the anc on (which btw reduces the low range a bit, so that there should be less distortion, not more) makes me believe that the hardware itself is not bad. The h8 without anc can perfectly take a huge load of bass at max volume + bass boosted with eq + wired (which as said means louder and with more bass).
The problem is the anc. I don't know why. No idea. Maybe, as you suggested, the ANC reduces the headroom?
But, till this point?

Anyway people must know this, because when you buy a bassy headphone with anc and you pay 500 bucks you MUST receive something able to take the same load of bass (with or without EQ, with or without wire, and at any volume) when the anc is active. Or you better buy something else.
It makes no sense that bassheads looking for an ANC on ear BT Headphone buy the H8 and cannot even boost the bass a bit when the ANC is active.

I would be happy if it could be proven that the defect is only in the batch where the two units which I've tested come from.
I would be HAPPY, because I do not have anything against B&O. And I would be HAPPY if in the BT world there would be a new, wonderful headphone.
But with my thread I'm becoming quite visible and people read me and write me and ask me. I'm responsible if i suggest something which doesn't work.
Look, just in these days a guy wrote me in PM asking me suggestions for a bassy bt headphone with ANC which can get loud enough.
If I suggest him the H8 and he puts the vol at max (which, as said, it is probable that many people will, considering that the H8 are not very loud compared to most other headphones) and boosts a BIT the bass with EQ to enjoy his Dubstep or EDM at full, he will have a VERY BAD surprise.
And I will be RESPONSIBLE for my suggestion.

So i don't give a ******* **** if the B&O fanboys feel attacked by my posts and try to boycott or ignore my attempts to find out the truth.
I spend the half or more of my very few free time since months to help people finding the right bt headphone for their need.
I need to be sure of what's going on with this distortion.
And I expected more collaboration from this community.
After all this community exists to HELP people. People come here to find out what they have to buy.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #197 of 374
  OK

so i can confirm that the H8 does have distortion with ANC on and with the volume cranked up - however, i have to crank it past a level that i would comfortable listening to though.
it's also almost impossible to get this to happen when connected through a phone as it wont go loud enough - but on some songs it does indeed distort.

so now i'm curious what the OVER ear sennheisers are like...

Thanks a LOT for your answer.
Did you test only on your Phone or also on the PC?

On the PC, in wired mode (of course with ANC active), with youtube volume at max, on the track Balloons Club Mix by Nils Hoffmann I have distortion already when WIndows volume is at 77%. And it is NOT too loud at all.
With the track Limit to your Love of James Blake I have distortion already at Windows Volume 75%.
In Bluetooth mode, the distortion on Balloons starts at Windows Volume 93% (Youtube and H8 volumes at Max. Perception of loudness imo loud enough to enjoy, not too loud. Consider that in BT mode the H8 are less loud).
On Limit to your Love it starts at 95%.

On my Xperia Z1 Compact the story is different and similarly to what you have said, it is much more difficult to get distortion (because as you have also noticed, the smartphones do not get as lout as the PC. Youtube Mobile has got no volume control, and the only volume is the one of the phone).
In wired mode I have no distortion with youtube on Limit to your love, only on Balloons a bit on max level.
On BT mode I have distortion on both tracks only at max level.
I have then tried the mp3. Played with Neutron (the best music player for Android) with a boost on 30 and 90HZ, I had distortion on both tracks when at max volume on BT mode. In wired mode the distortion was bigger on Balloons (probably due to the kind of kick bass).

I think it is relatively safe to say that if people will use these headphones ONLY with a Smartphone, NEVER with a PC, and if they will use them at a bit less than max level, it should all work well.
But, for me even the max volume on my phone is not loud enough with the H8. Unless I listen to chill out or ambient music while I study. But definitely not if I listen to Techno and Dubstep or Metal or any kind of Happy Mood music. And even less if I am outdoors in the city.
While with PC there is just ZERO CHANCE to listen to bass heavy music if not without EQ and at moderate volume (3/4 or 2/3, depending on if streaming online or playing your on collection from a music player), or with EQ and at low volume. Which are both unacceptable solutions for any respectable basshead.

Anyway, considering that at home very few people will ever feel the need to use ANC, this should not be a huge problem.
It could be different for people using the H8 in an office environment, where people usually use ANC.

It is a pity. Apart for the boost out of the box, and for its dark tone, the bass of the H8 is not bad at all. It is among the best 5 BT Headphones of the 30 I Have tested.
Really a pity that people have to be careful to all these things to avoid distortion.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #198 of 374

On the PC, in wired mode (of course with ANC active), with youtube volume at max, on the track Balloons Club Mix by Nils Hoffmann I have distortion already when WIndows volume is at 77%. And it is NOT too loud at all.
With the track Limit to your Love of James Blake I have distortion already at Windows Volume 75%.
In Bluetooth mode, the distortion on Balloons starts at Windows Volume 93% (Youtube and H8 volumes at Max. Perception of loudness imo loud enough to enjoy, not too loud. Consider that in BT mode the H8 are less loud).

On my Xperia Z1 Compact the story is different and similarly to what you have said, it is much more difficult to get distortion (because as you have also noticed, the smartphones do not get as lout as the PC. Youtube Mobile has got no volume control, and the only volume is the one of the phone).
In wired mode I have no distortion with youtube on Limit to your love, only on Balloons a bit on max level.
I have then tried the mp3. Played with Neutron (the best music player for Android) with a boost on 30 and 90HZ, I had distortion on both tracks when at max volume on BT mode. In wired mode the distortion was bigger on Balloons (probably due to the kind of kick bass).

I think it is relatively safe to say that if people will use these headphones ONLY with a Smartphone, NEVER with a PC, and if they will use them at a bit less than max level, it should all work well.
But, for me even the max volume on my phone is not loud enough with the H8. Unless I listen to chill out or ambient music while I study. But definitely not if I listen to Techno and Dubstep or Metal or any kind of Happy Mood music. And even less if I am outdoors in the city.
While with PC there is just ZERO CHANCE to listen to bass heavy music if not without EQ and at moderate volume (3/4 or 2/3, depending on if streaming online or playing your on collection from a music player), or with EQ and at low volume. Which are both unacceptable solutions for any respectable basshead.

Anyway, considering that at home very few people will ever feel the need to use ANC, this should not be a huge problem.
It could be different for people using the H8 in an office environment, where people usually use ANC.

It is a pity. Apart for the boost out of the box, and for its dark tone, the bass of the H8 is not bad at all. It is among the best 5 BT Headphones of the 30 I Have tested.
Really a pity that people have to be careful to all these things to avoid distortion.

yeh its very strange that this happens only with ANC active - can't really understand it.

altho i think ill stick with them cuz i like the design / touch controls / sound and the ANC is impressive with airplane drone.

i imagine ill listen to it without ANC unless im on a plane etc, but for me i dont play it loud enough to hit the distortion level regardless.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #199 of 374

Xperia phones tend to have low output compared to most, so that should explain the reduced problem.

It seems they over boosted the bass and it is hard limiting somewhere in the ANC DSP.

The sooner this fad for over the top bass ends, the better off consumers will be. It wastes power, distorts in this case, and makes an impressive but fundamentally wrong sound. When even B&O feel they have to do it to sell product, I guess it is not going anywhere for a while.

The competitive and diverse headphone market is due to Beats in part. But the screwed up sound also seems to be down to them too.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #200 of 374
so i've packaged up the on ear sennheiser momentum wireless and have ordered the over ear momentum wireless. 

I'll not be able to sleep easy at night until ive compared the sound cancelling on the 2. - The on ears were VERY much more listenable to with ANC on than the B&O are - and im dying to know what the over ears sound like.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #201 of 374
the over ears are similar to the on ear in terms of ANC, since they are over ear they naturally prevent more sound from entering the headphone, but they are huge in comparison to the on ear and the H8. I personally wasnt a fan for portable use and returned them - but they are a excellent sounding headphone and the ANC is much quieter than the H8 but you can't turn it off either.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #202 of 374
  the over ears are similar to the on ear in terms of ANC, since they are over ear they naturally prevent more sound from entering the headphone, but they are huge in comparison to the on ear and the H8. I personally wasnt a fan for portable use and returned them - but they are a excellent sounding headphone and the ANC is much quieter than the H8 but you can't turn it off either.

i had the H8's out today for the first time to test out the bluetooth whilst walking.

i did get frequent dropouts of the audio - with the phone in my pocket.

and when i got back to the house i actually got a complete disconnect of the Bluetooth altogether when i was about to enter the house - had to go back in through the settings on the phone and click the H8 to connect again - which was odd.

still interested to compare the ANC of the overears / the portability / comfort of the 2 - the H8's i do have to keep adjusting to keep on my head at the minute. more so when i am bending over / picking things up etc. i.e. at the driving range.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #203 of 374
ok

so ive been A/B'ing the sennheiser Momentum wireless OVER EARs today with the Beoplay H8's

Sound
sound from the momentums - much flatter overall. to me sounds like a boost in the mids and a less engrossing bass.
sound from the H8's - an obvious V shape to the sound is now prominent - can be dialed into my preference with a little mid range eq boost.

all in all - if i was making music with these headphones - i would choose the momentums as they sounds flatter - but for listening to music - im gonna go with the H8's on this one - the bass to me sounds great. - Even with an eq boost i cant replicate the lows of the H8 on the momentums.

Portability
have to give it to the H8's on this one - they are neater on the head, feel lighter - and are more comfortable, even though they are on ears - those pads are amazing.
H8's get a slight mark down for their ability to fall off your head during movement, but i gather thats because of the on ear design - and not a total deal breaker for me.

ANC
the ANC on the momentums is much better in my opinion for 'listenability' - much quieter and hardly noticeable at all that its on
However, the H8's cancel out more sound than the Momentums - so i dont know where to put the points on this one.

The sound quality is affected on both when ANC is active. 
on the momentums you loose bass - but still sounds great.
on the H8's there is some weird **** going on with the microphones inside the earcup - this can cause a feedback loop of sorts and also explains the "resonance" in the 4k range that i mentioned before. i dont know if this is a flaw with my current model or not, but i can definitely hear some ringing in my left ear when i active ANC on the H8's - this can be alleviated by manoeuvring the headphones to a different position on the ear. Whatever you do, do not press the earcups inwards with ANC on unless you want to go completely deaf.
Other than this, there is a bit of a scoop in the mids again with the ANC on - a little eq helps.

with ANC on - the sound is better from the Momentums - but the cancellation is better with the H8's.
it's also worth noting that you cannot push the H8's as hard with the ANC on - otherwise you will distort the signal. Must be some sort of internal limiter issue.

Price
they are both the same pretty much.

Overall
as of right now - the H8's have my vote.
i will do some more testing over the next day or 2 and will also contact my local B&O store to see about the feedback loop on the ANC (anyone else experience this?)

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #204 of 374
  Sound
sound from the momentums - much flatter overall. to me sounds like a boost in the mids and a less engrossing bass.
sound from the H8's - an obvious V shape to the sound is now prominent - can be dialed into my preference with a little mid range eq boost.

all in all - if i was making music with these headphones - i would choose the momentums as they sounds flatter - but for listening to music - im gonna go with the H8's on this one - the bass to me sounds great. - Even with an eq boost i cant replicate the lows of the H8 on the momentums.

ANC
the ANC on the momentums is much better in my opinion for 'listenability' - much quieter and hardly noticeable at all that its on
However, the H8's cancel out more sound than the Momentums - so i dont know where to put the points on this one.

The sound quality is affected on both when ANC is active. 
on the momentums you loose bass - but still sounds great.
on the H8's there is some weird **** going on with the microphones inside the earcup - this can cause a feedback loop of sorts and also explains the "resonance" in the 4k range that i mentioned before. i dont know if this is a flaw with my current model or not, but i can definitely hear some ringing in my left ear when i active ANC on the H8's - this can be alleviated by manoeuvring the headphones to a different position on the ear. Whatever you do, do not press the earcups inwards with ANC on unless you want to go completely deaf.
Other than this, there is a bit of a scoop in the mids again with the ANC on - a little eq helps.

with ANC on - the sound is better from the Momentums - but the cancellation is better with the H8's.
it's also worth noting that you cannot push the H8's as hard with the ANC on - otherwise you will distort the signal. Must be some sort of internal limiter issue.

Overall
as of right now - the H8's have my vote.
i will do some more testing over the next day or 2 and will also contact my local B&O store to see about the feedback loop on the ANC (anyone else experience this?)

Great sound comparison of the M2 and H8. I couldn't agree more with your "making" vs. "listening" distinction.

Regarding ANC, yes, I am having similar issues with sporadic ringing in the left phone. Once it happened while in the plane and another while in my truck, thus I'm guessing there could be some "interference" in the lower frequencies. Let me know what B&O has to say about this.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #205 of 374
I was planning on buying a pair but now I think I will wait until B&O will have all the kinks ironed out - meaning the bluetooth dropouts and the anc echoes.

I really liked my Bose QC 25 but I disliked the sound and also the fact that you had to use it with wires. 

Any comments on how the ANC is compared to the QC 25. Does it filter out sound as good as the Bose do? I was particulary impressed with the performance in trains and busses. 

Otherwise I am a bit disappointed with B&O's color scheme. I liked the silver / brown H6 much more, I hope they will release a version like this. The gold just looks too gaudy in my opinion. Also - can you put on the H6 earcups on the H8? 

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #206 of 374
  I was planning on buying a pair but now I think I will wait until B&O will have all the kinks ironed out - meaning the bluetooth dropouts and the anc echoes.

I really liked my Bose QC 25 but I disliked the sound and also the fact that you had to use it with wires. 

Any comments on how the ANC is compared to the QC 25. Does it filter out sound as good as the Bose do? I was particulary impressed with the performance in trains and busses. 

Otherwise I am a bit disappointed with B&O's color scheme. I liked the silver / brown H6 much more, I hope they will release a version like this. The gold just looks too gaudy in my opinion. Also - can you put on the H6 earcups on the H8? 

Bose has the best noise canceling in the business from the headphones I have tried (beats, Zik, Momentum, B&O). Something that bothered me a lot with Bose though was that they created a uncomfortable amount of pressure on my ears when the ANC was active.. I couldn't keep them on for more than 5 minutes. I didnt notice that sensation with any other ANC headphone that I have tried. The H8 in terms of ANC is one of the better ones, the hiss is slightly more noticeable than the Bose and the ANC is slightly worse in terms of noise blocking. Comfort wise I would say the Bose win too since they are so light.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #207 of 374
is anc safe?
I was thinking (it happens to me from time to time), if they are "anti waves" which neutralize the noises, are they still, noise? Does our brain actually hear them even if we are not aware? Is it safer for our ears than just putting the volume louder?

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #208 of 374

Bose has the best noise canceling in the business from the headphones I have tried (beats, Zik, Momentum, B&O). Something that bothered me a lot with Bose though was that they created a uncomfortable amount of pressure on my ears when the ANC was active.. I couldn't keep them on for more than 5 minutes. I didnt notice that sensation with any other ANC headphone that I have tried. The H8 in terms of ANC is one of the better ones, the hiss is slightly more noticeable than the Bose and the ANC is slightly worse in terms of noise blocking. Comfort wise I would say the Bose win too since they are so light.

You are right the anc is phenomenal. I was just thinking maybe the H8s ANC is at least in the same range. Btw you get used to the pressure from the Bose QC. Just use it for a week. After a while you dont even feel it anymore and I was starting to wonder if the ANC was broken :wink:.

When I use the QC's ANC in a train or on a plane, you cant really hear the engine anymore - can the H8 manage to do the same? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #209 of 374

You are right the anc is phenomenal. I was just thinking maybe the H8s ANC is at least in the same range. Btw you get used to the pressure from the Bose QC. Just use it for a week. After a while you dont even feel it anymore and I was starting to wonder if the ANC was broken :wink:.

When I use the QC's ANC in a train or on a plane, you cant really hear the engine anymore - can the H8 manage to do the same? 

Makes me wonder if Giogio has the right idea.. if something is painful / uncomfortable its usually the body's biological mechanism stimulating avoidance (i do a lot of research and im in the health field so I always think of cause-and-effect); of course arguments against that too, like muscle building can be painful.. 

In regards to the H8 in flight, I will let you know how the ANC fairs, going to be taking them on a trip this week.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #210 of 374
i had the H8's away with me in 16 seater mini van yesterday.

when active completely eliminates the drone from the car engine and road noise. What was left was the radio and some people talking - but far away, like when your ears need to pop.

u can't hear the hiss produced at this stage. i only hear it when testing them out in a quiet environment already.

it did give me a bit of a headache having the ANC on though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back