Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Mar 10, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #136 of 374
Originally Posted by Giogio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you realize that with a 500 bucks headphone you should NOT have to worry which damn shoe you have to use?
Sorry guys, I do not want to spoil the party to the fans, but, for me these headphones have too many faults to be sold at this price.

I understand what you are saying, but is there really a perfect headphone out there? If so, why do we keep trying and testing new ones? For me, I'm content with a few minor issues if my main requirements are covered. The sound quality, portability, and ANC of the H8's fit my needs, and the vibrations aren't an issue, so I'm generally satisfied with them. Do I wish they had battery alerts...yes. Do I wish they activated Siri...yes. Do I wish they had a hard case...yes.

As for price, isn't this really a reflection of the value generated for someone from something? If there is little value (such as in your case with the H8's), then the price won't be paid. From there, it's a matter of supply and demand.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #137 of 374

I understand what you are saying, but is there really a perfect headphone out there? If so, why do we keep trying and testing new ones? For me, I'm content with a few minor issues if my main requirements are covered. The sound quality, portability, and ANC of the H8's fit my needs, and the vibrations aren't an issue, so I'm generally satisfied with them. Do I wish they had battery alerts...yes. Do I wish they activated Siri...yes. Do I wish they had a hard case...yes.

As for price, isn't this really a reflection of the value generated for someone from something? If there is little value (such as in your case with the H8's), then the price won't be paid. From there, it's a matter of supply and demand.

Ditto.. there aren't any perfect wireless headphones - cutting the wire creates a lot of new challenges (comfort, SQ, design), but I agree with Giogio too, at this premium price point the issues "should" be minimal but like any other electronics thats rarely the case. I do think at least on my end it might be my ear shape and size, I have relatively large head/ears - I know for some people the padding completely surrounds the ear, likely why none of the reviews had mentioned this issue. Anyways I do like mostly everything about the H8s thats why im going to try to make them work but if they dont guess its back to looking for another pair.

Another thing to note are the alternatives in the market I have tried, the Beats and Zik 2 which offer the same tech (ANC and bluetooth) are just so much worse in comfort/SQ/build and materials compared to the H8 - paying a $100-200 premium doesn't seem unreasonable for the H8 or the M2 wireless (flaws and all) because they are still the best in the market.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #138 of 374
The fact is, let's be honest, it's not just that...
I mean, I have spent the day comparing them with other 5, including the Fidelio M2BT which I have here once again because I wanted to make a side to side (because they sound very similar, and I wanted to be sure of the differences).
The bass is much better in the Fidelio. It is as much and I would say more powerful, it is wider, open, warm, the rumble is deeper and with more body, and it lacks this ugly darkness of the H8 and it is not so artificially boosted. Without EQ it sounds much more balanced.
The soundstage is better, and at same time the mids (and so the vocals) are more present.
For the highs both are sibilant in some occasions, although I admit the H8 are less sibilant than the Fidelio.
And the H8 may have a little bit more detail, I am not sure, anyway just a touch.
Now, the M2BT have not a very good range, compared to other headphones.
But compared to the H8, The Fidelio are a queen, a wonder, a miracle.
The H8 are the ONLY headphone of the 30 I have tested, which is able to lose signal in the SAME room as I just walk more than FIVE meters away and I put my head so that the right side (with the BT stuff) is on the other side of the source.
And when I go to another room, after two steps the signal is gone.
The ONLY one which does this, and the most expensive of ALL.
The touch controls are messy, at least the circular movement for the volume.
No carrying case, no cable with mic and controls.
The ANC produces hiss and bumps and degrades the sound, and it turns on by default EACH time the H8 turn on. So if I never use it, I must turn it off EACH time.
They do not get loud enough (not to me, and surely much less than most other headphones).
The M2BT get louder and have a much better passive NC.
And as said, in EU they cost 200 vs 500 of the H8.
Seriously, guys.
I agree, or I understand, that if money is not a problem at all, and ths is, with its defect, the closest thing to what you need, you may accept to spend that money.
But you cannot deny that it is robbery. It is NOT a fair price, not for what they are really offering.

I just find it, frustrating. I find it frustrating that people are forced to buy this mafia price thing, just because it is the only on ear with decent ANC apart for the Momentum.

I really find it unfair.

So, I almost deleted this post after writing it, because I said to myself "people who have bought it want to be happy with it and not read all the time your bad comments. Let them enjoy their mafia price toy like you enjoy yours.
But then I said to myself, what a wonderful world, no, I mean, I said, What, people who look for opinions to buy or not buy this thing, will come here, and they have the right to know.

:)

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #139 of 374
  Hi All, 

First post on the forum, I have been to test the H8's in one of the London stores, they are everything I am looking for out of a pair of headphones, I was very close to purchasing them there and then, but thought it would be best to research before committing.  

From what I  have read on various forums is that there is are issues with bluetooth drop outs specifically with Apple products (I have a iPhone 6), my questions are; 

Has anyone had the same problems on this forum?

Are the drop out issue due to a particular batch (as some forums suggest)?

Has anyone managed to find a fix? 

Should I wait until this problem has been resolved before I purchase?

Look forward to your comments and thoughts! 

D

I have issues with random dropouts.  Sometimes I can get them to reconnect by sliding the switch on/off and others I have to reconnect from iOS settings app.  It's not enough for me to go HAM, but these are $500 cans and they should not have these issues.  At all.

I do not know if it is limited to a "batch," in fact I would guess no because it seems to be a common concern.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #140 of 374
  How do these sound compared to the H6. Has anyone heard both?

To me, the H8 (wireless only) has much more bass.  Much more.  It's not irritating like the first Beats headphones, but very noticeable.  The H6s are more clinical and clean to me.  I have not heard the H8s plugged in as of yet.

The additional bass doesn't irritate me because Rap/Hip-Hop is my mainstay, but I've played some classics (Dean Martin, Sinatra, Bobby Darin) and didn't get the unnecessary "thump" I was expecting, which is a good thing.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #141 of 374
Hey, thanks very much for that. It helps a lot. I love the openness and clarity of the H6 but feel that it lacks a bit of soul and power.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #142 of 374
  Hey, thanks very much for that. It helps a lot. I love the openness and clarity of the H6 but feel that it lacks a bit of soul and power.

You're welcome... 

It seems some people have more clinical ears and tastes than I do, so keep up with the thread to see what other opinions there may be concerning comparisons between the two.  But I'm very certain about the difference and the addition of bass.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #144 of 374
  How do these sound compared to the H6. Has anyone heard both?

The H8 is warmer and fuller sounding. H8 has more body and bass impact. The sound of the H6 is technically superior and offers better resolution, better clarity and better soundstage. To some the H6 is too bright but the bass is faster and more tight in the H6 but with less impact. Also the Active Noise Cancelling in H8 destroys the sound and takes the dynamics away, flattens the soundstage and totally removes treble sparkle. It is a good thing that it can be turned off for more critical listening. I can see why a headphone for transport needs more bass because often the low frequencies gets "drowned" by noise from for instance a train during transport.

I hope that helps?

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #145 of 374

I felt the exact same and I thought that it was just how Bang & Olufsen like their speakers to sound. Neutral and without adding anything to the sound. Then the lifeliness and sparkle is sacrafised. But after connecting the H6 to my Quickstep or Meier Classic I started to like them again compared to using them directly from my iPhone. Adding an amplifier really gives the H6 more life and also expands the soundstage a lot. I have not tried to connect the H8 in passive/wired mode to an amplifier.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #146 of 374
  Can you actually hear the difference between 24/96 and 16/44? On a high end wilson audio system, I am unable to, as were 4 of my friends with me at the time. 

I get the impression people just like big numbers. 

IMO, IME, of course. 

Yes, I can hear the difference. Always have been able to. But a well mastered recording is a well mastered recording. 192/24 or 96/24 is not necessarily better because of bitrate; it may have more detail but can be killed by a poor mastering job same as a 44/16 release. But all things being equal, there's just more detail and air on a hi-rez recording. The same applies to DSD. DSD vs. PCM is another thing, but it all boils down to mastering.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #147 of 374
  The fact is, let's be honest, it's not just that...
I mean, I have spent the day comparing them with other 5, including the Fidelio M2BT which I have here once again because I wanted to make a side to side (because they sound very similar, and I wanted to be sure of the differences).
The bass is much better in the Fidelio. It is as much and I would say more powerful, it is wider, open, warm, the rumble is deeper and with more body, and it lacks this ugly darkness of the H8 and it is not so artificially boosted. Without EQ it sounds much more balanced.
The soundstage is better, and at same time the mids (and so the vocals) are more present.
For the highs both are sibilant in some occasions, although I admit the H8 are less sibilant than the Fidelio.
And the H8 may have a little bit more detail, I am not sure, anyway just a touch.
Now, the M2BT have not a very good range, compared to other headphones.
But compared to the H8, The Fidelio are a queen, a wonder, a miracle.
The H8 are the ONLY headphone of the 30 I have tested, which is able to lose signal in the SAME room as I just walk more than FIVE meters away and I put my head so that the right side (with the BT stuff) is on the other side of the source.
And when I go to another room, after two steps the signal is gone.
The ONLY one which does this, and the most expensive of ALL.
The touch controls are messy, at least the circular movement for the volume.
No carrying case, no cable with mic and controls.
The ANC produces hiss and bumps and degrades the sound, and it turns on by default EACH time the H8 turn on. So if I never use it, I must turn it off EACH time.
They do not get loud enough (not to me, and surely much less than most other headphones).
The M2BT get louder and have a much better passive NC.
And as said, in EU they cost 200 vs 500 of the H8.
Seriously, guys.
I agree, or I understand, that if money is not a problem at all, and ths is, with its defect, the closest thing to what you need, you may accept to spend that money.
But you cannot deny that it is robbery. It is NOT a fair price, not for what they are really offering.

I just find it, frustrating. I find it frustrating that people are forced to buy this mafia price thing, just because it is the only on ear with decent ANC apart for the Momentum.

I really find it unfair.

So, I almost deleted this post after writing it, because I said to myself "people who have bought it want to be happy with it and not read all the time your bad comments. Let them enjoy their mafia price toy like you enjoy yours.
But then I said to myself, what a wonderful world, no, I mean, I said, What, people who look for opinions to buy or not buy this thing, will come here, and they have the right to know.

:)

My experience couldn't be more opposite. I've used the H8 on quite a few plane rides, and they are great. They pair well with my ZX1. I use them wired, but even the few times I've tried BT, no dropouts and things like the circular volume control just worked. Your opinion is valid, but I've had no issues with the H8. Great travel headphone.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #149 of 374
You're welcome... 

It seems some people have more clinical ears and tastes than I do, so keep up with the thread to see what other opinions there may be concerning comparisons between the two.  But I'm very certain about the difference and the addition of bass.

Quote:
The H8 is warmer and fuller sounding. H8 has more body and bass impact. The sound of the H6 is technically superior and offers better resolution, better clarity and better soundstage. To some the H6 is too bright but the bass is faster and more tight in the H6 but with less impact. Also the Active Noise Cancelling in H8 destroys the sound and takes the dynamics away, flattens the soundstage and totally removes treble sparkle. It is a good thing that it can be turned off for more critical listening. I can see why a headphone for transport needs more bass because often the low frequencies gets "drowned" by noise from for instance a train during transport.

I hope that helps?

Yes, thank you both. It seems to tell me that they are two different animals that cannot really be compared to one another....that they are for two different applications.

Yes, I can hear the difference. Always have been able to. But a well mastered recording is a well mastered recording. 192/24 or 96/24 is not necessarily better because of bitrate; it may have more detail but can be killed by a poor mastering job same as a 44/16 release. But all things being equal, there's just more detail and air on a hi-rez recording. The same applies to DSD. DSD vs. PCM is another thing, but it all boils down to mastering.

This..

It is what you do with it and what you get out of it that matters. A capable mastering engineer with 44/16 can make a better sounding recording than a less competent one using 96/24 etc.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #150 of 374
  Quote:

Yes, thank you both. It seems to tell me that they are two different animals that cannot really be compared to one another....that they are for two different applications.

May  I know why are you interested in the H8?
Just because you loved the H6 and are looking for something which wired can sound similar but better?
I mean, no interest in BT, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back