Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 20, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #2,506 of 2,875
**beaking news**
JVC HAS400 https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS400B-Nanotube-Headband-Headphones/dp/B008P8EXRU pads work on the beoplay H6
9PjbMvV.jpg
hjJpJ4w.jpg

it's not 100% perfect fit, but really acceptable.

For those who would like new pads, why not just remove the plastic part of originals pads, and use brainwavz pads ?
The orginal sound this headphone is hugely depending on the orginal pads and its condition. I had 2 headphones which I bought 2 years ago. (If anyone is suspicious, I can send you the screenshot of my amazon purchases :wink: :wink: I used one for over 2 year, and the other one stayed in storage underutilzed as it belonged to my wife, after almost 1.5 the pads on mine were flat, and the sound became more mid forward and treble and bass shy. The speed of the headphones also goes down with worn out pads. I thought it was the driver over the period. This i noticed after comparing it with the one in storage with really good pads. I exchanged the pads to check and it was the pads not the drivers which were altering the sound. This is one huge reason not to buy this headphone used as most people go through this phase and then they silently push them to ebay. I noticed one of the reviews of this headphone here had the user mentioned that the sound became bad after some time, and its true.

So changing the pad, to something else would make this headphone different, for better.... ? I am not hopeful about that part.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #2,507 of 2,875
**beaking news**
JVC HAS400 https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS400B-Nanotube-Headband-Headphones/dp/B008P8EXRU pads work on the beoplay H6
9PjbMvV.jpg
hjJpJ4w.jpg

it's not 100% perfect fit, but really acceptable.

For those who would like new pads, why not just remove the plastic part of originals pads, and use brainwavz pads ?

The orginal sound this headphone is hugely depending on the orginal pads and its condition. I had 2 headphones which I bought 2 years ago. (If anyone is suspicious, I can send you the screenshot of my amazon purchases :wink: :wink: I used one for over 2 year, and the other one stayed in storage underutilzed as it belonged to my wife, after almost 1.5 the pads on mine were flat, and the sound became more mid forward and treble and bass shy. The speed of the headphones also goes down with worn out pads. I thought it was the driver over the period. This i noticed after comparing it with the one in storage with really good pads. I exchanged the pads to check and it was the pads not the drivers which were altering the sound. This is one huge reason not to buy this headphone used as most people go through this phase and then they silently push them to ebay. I noticed one of the reviews of this headphone here had the user mentioned that the sound became bad after some time, and its true.

So changing the pad, to something else would make this headphone different, for better.... ? I am not hopeful about that part.

Pad rolling is tricky. It's hard to tell what's going to sound best without lots of experimenting, which can get expensive.

If/when I kill the Rapha pads I currently have mounted and the stock pads that I've got on a shelf, I'll probably try tearing the stock pads apart and seeing what aftermarket pads might fit over the plastic mounting ring, as you suggest.

I really should have picked up another pair of Rapha pads when they were cheap.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #2,508 of 2,875
You can get new oem cups from B&O New York store. You can also get them from av connection. Here’s an email. It’s about $50-60 for a pair from either place.

These are OEM earcups from B&O directly and we have both the black and tan in stock.

You can simply place and order via our webshop - https://www.av-connection.com/?PNo=BP-ECH6-L

Med venlig hilsen/ Best Regards / Mit freundlichen grüssen

Nicki Fynbo Hansen
Salg & Support
AV-Connection A/S
Kærvej 71 - 73
6400 Sønderborg
Tlf.: +45 74 42 10 78
Fax.: +45 74 42 10 79

CVR no.: 27 90 75 47

NFH@av-connection.com
www.av-connection.com

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #2,509 of 2,875
Pad rolling is tricky. It's hard to tell what's going to sound best without lots of experimenting, which can get expensive.

If/when I kill the Rapha pads I currently have mounted and the stock pads that I've got on a shelf, I'll probably try tearing the stock pads apart and seeing what aftermarket pads might fit over the plastic mounting ring, as you suggest.

I really should have picked up another pair of Rapha pads when they were cheap.
I must add one more point, with aging the firmness of the pads will be reduced. Even if you pull it back to its orginal shape, in 2 minutes it goes flat again, which really makes it important to change it. I think if the pads had some stitching it would have preserved the shape better, I dunno. Most folks who review them bad, after buying them used, dont even know what it must sound like. I really like this headphone, but for this one reason, I am not of a big fan. but it applies to every other headphone also if I am not wrong. I want to upgrade to AQ nightowl, but it isnt practical as h6 on the go.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,510 of 2,875
My pads are still like new, but that's because my H6s are backups for my D7200, which are backups for my Staxes.

But when my wife's headphone pads (she also has H6, but Gen 1) will go flat, I will try steam cleaning on them. In every other material that I've tried so far it was not only cleaning, but restoring shape to everything that was compressed for a long time.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #2,511 of 2,875
Twelve months ago I got an iPhone 8, sans headphone jack. I hadn't been using heaphones much when commuting. I decided it was time to try bluetooth. I toyed with the idea of a BT received for my H6 but ended up deciding to try the BWP7 wireless. They were disappointingly much more V-shaped than the wired version I'd demo's previously. Then the PX came out and so I sold the P7W and tried them. They were a very odd beast. On some recordings they sound lovely, on others they have this strange boxy sound. I gave up at that point and lived with the PX.

Then recently I saw the headfi TV episode that introduced the FiiO BTR3 and...

I'm very happy with this rig for commuting. The BTR3 stays in place really well, it's basically like a wireless H6. The red cable is gone and replaced with the short cable Bluewave sell with their headphone mount kit, it's a bit shorter and doesn't need to wrap around. It's also all black for a stealthier look. I got myself a cheap Sony android phone that's LDAC capable. I've always loved the H6, it's the best of many many closed back portables I've tried over the years. It's one weakness is it is occasionally a little hot in the treble.

I'm on holidays now and have been playing with some simple mods to try to tame the treble. I've discovered the pads come off super-easy, so I first tried small discs cut from non-slip draw liner under the pads. Not much better. So I tried asking some questions on another board I follow that is more heavily into modding. I asked some general questions about how different mods and materials work. Based on the info I got there I tried some cotton make-up removal pads my partner had, they were the perfect size. I think they're somewhere between a cotton felt and cotton wool. Those have definitely reduced the treble more. I need to test them for longer to see whether it's too much. If they do I'll try some thin open-cell foam.
thats a huge rig for thoes headphones.

i'm wondering if a better solution would be to just buy the H9i :p

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2,512 of 2,875
Speaking of pads

Around the time I first got these, one day I took them out of my backpack and out of their carrying bag, and the right cup had somehow popped off. They're pretty easy to pop back on, but what's weird is that the right cup twists very easily. Like, if I'm taking the headphones off my head, sometimes my hand on the cup turns the pad a bit. It doesn't go past a certain position, in the other direction they turn easily. However, the left earpad doesn't move at all.

Is this just a common trait for the pad to do this once it comes off? Not a huge problem, just curious.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,515 of 2,875
So turn the right cup past the point it doesn’t turn to click it back?
if you turn the earpads you'll hear / feel a noticeable click indicating that its locked into place. if it doesnt click or give resistance. then take the earpad off and inspect the cup. it may be cracked or broken.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,516 of 2,875
if you turn the earpads you'll hear / feel a noticeable click indicating that its locked into place. if it doesnt click or give resistance. then take the earpad off and inspect the cup. it may be cracked or broken.
Thank you, I will try. Just don’t want to damage them too much. They are well in place just not “locked”.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #2,517 of 2,875
Thank you, I will try. Just don’t want to damage them too much. They are well in place just not “locked”.
they should lock. if anything, depending on when you purchased them and from which retailer (store/amazon/b&o directly) you may one to return them and hopefully get another pair. but lets hope that doesnt come to it as B&O h6 is a fantastic headphone. i love my H6 Gen 2 versions. i'll be buying the Beoplay H9i soon as my 2nd B&O pair but i'll be keeping my H6 gen 2 for home use also.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,519 of 2,875
100% agree on this! I have Fidelio X2, HD6xx, and T50RP at home; but I look forward to going to work and putting on my H6!
Yea, I love mine and have learned to really appreciate them. Incredible detail and resolution, treble is sweet and bass is nicely textured, mids are decent, I prefer the warmth of the HD6XX mids, but the H6 is grainless, smooth and clear. Everything improves with an amp; dynamics, separation, etc, even with the Gen 2. I love both my H6 and HD6XX even though they are quite different. I just wish they got more appreciation around here.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2,520 of 2,875
they should lock. if anything, depending on when you purchased them and from which retailer (store/amazon/b&o directly) you may one to return them and hopefully get another pair. but lets hope that doesnt come to it as B&O h6 is a fantastic headphone. i love my H6 Gen 2 versions. i'll be buying the Beoplay H9i soon as my 2nd B&O pair but i'll be keeping my H6 gen 2 for home use also.
I got it lol. Just needed to put a little more pressure on a small twist the right and it’s locked in good now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back