Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #722 of 2,875
  I think I am living in a different world. I first didnt find the thread by marco. And now there is news about them sounding same from Band O, I searched for that, and didnt find this info anywhere ? Seems like my Google is out of order!

I was referring to an earlier post on this thread offered up by @Blinxat.  See below:

"No, but the reviewer does seem to have both for A/B'ing. HOWEVER I just shot B&O an E-Mail and it quickly came back that it is only a facelift and according to his information there are no sonic changes.

Maybe I will check it out at the B&O store some time."

I have not herd H6 v2.  We believe what we want to believe, right.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #723 of 2,875
Is the earpiece supposed to easily rotate off? I just received these and found that the right earpiece rotates off after about a quarter turn. Only happens on the right side, left feels locked in. 
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #724 of 2,875
  Is the earpiece supposed to easily rotate off? I just received these and found that the right earpiece rotates off after about a quarter turn. Only happens on the right side, left feels locked in. 
cool.gif

Both earpieces on my H6 rotate fairly easily.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #725 of 2,875
B&O has said that there is no difference in the original and v2 that would influence the sound. Hard to explain all the chatter claiming exactly the opposite, no?

Maybe bass is just better because it's easier to drive? I think Marco listens through everything straight from his cellphone.

Here's Marco's testing methodology, according to his website (bold emphasis mine):

Quote:
[size=20.007px]Testing[/size] I’ve bought or been loaned all of the headphones in this review and spent significant time with them at home, except the B&W P7 and Beats Pro. I tested each headphone with my iPhone by itself as the source first, then with a larger desk setup: three headphone amps simultaneously connected to a Gungnir DAC.

I listened to what you probably think is terrible music, but it’s well-recorded, it spans a wide range of tones and recording types, and I know the details extremely well. I then had my wife listen to the same headphones without telling her my thoughts, and she came to almost all of the same conclusions, so I know that either I’m not nuts or both of us are.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #726 of 2,875
My h6 v2 should arrive in 3 days, i do not have a pair of v1 to compare, but my local apple store does have a pair of v1 on display which is how i fell in love with the h6 to begin with. So i can try to do a comp there, the problem is the noise level in store isnt ideal. I have a pink noise generator which i will ise to burn them in quickly to get the v2 as close as possible to the very used sample pair that apple has.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #727 of 2,875
I received a black H6 v2 a few days ago and have been comparing them to the PM-3 and M50x. I was looking for a more portable can than the M50x for travel and these two were on my short list of candidates. Source equipment is a 13" MacBook Pro Retina running JRiver Media Center playing from my FLAC library and Tidal HiFi streaming. Output is via an Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 USB amp/DAC.

Well, the H6 is just awesome! My initial listen wasn't favorable - they sounded flat and congested - but it was late and I was tired. I've spent the last two days swapping back and forth between these three and I find the H6 to be a simply wonderful sounding headphone. All of the attributes that have already been mentioned in this thread are apparent. I *really* thought that the Oppo would blow them away, but no dice. The PM-3 sounds a bit lifeless in comparison, and the soundstage of the H6 is far superior. The PM-3 has a lot to like, but listening to them makes me feel as if I have two small speakers strapped to my head, which in fact I do. I can't get lost in the music. No such issue with the H6! The Audio-Technica is a great headphone for what it is but the H6 (and the Oppo as well) are in a different league. The H6 is definitely a keeper.

One thing I did want to note - earlier in this thread several people mentioned that the PM-3 cable fit their H6. I don't know if the v2 cable socket is different, but there is no way my PM-3 cable fits. The diameter of the housing around the jack is too large for the socket on the H6 earcup and I can only get audio from the right channel. It won't seat all the way. FYI.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #728 of 2,875
Ok I have received my H6 v2 today so I will be comparing to my M50x as well as the H6 v1.  But I have a question, I purchased the v-moda audio only cable because others said they fit in the v1, the thing is they do fit, sorta, but I have to push really hard to jam them in because the rubber is too thick.  So did the v2 socket get smaller, or did the v-moda cable change design???  I can't post pics yet (too new i guess)  But the v-moda rubber section on the jack isn't smooth and round like the oem jack, instead it's hexagonal, and gets thicker in the middle then narrow again, (like a swollen mid section)

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #729 of 2,875

My v1 H6 with Vmoda cable. Fits just fine. Hopefully this helps you sort out where the issue is :)

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #730 of 2,875
I just tried it exactly that way, to the same effect, I have to really jam it in there to get both cups to kick in. Either side I can get it in and working, but I don't like pushing that hard, and getting them out feels like eventually i'm going to rip the cable pulling that hard if my fingers slip off of the rubber. They would'nt make the v2 sockets smaller would they?  Or perhaps deeper? What would that even acheive?

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #731 of 2,875
When I first inserted it, I only got sound out of one channel even though the cable felt properly inserted. I pushed a little more and twisted a little (no locking mechanism - I probably just twisted out of habit). The second channel came in, but the sound wasn't quite full. Futzed with it a little more and everything sounded right. Has been fine since, though I haven't removed/reinserted the cable. 

Merry merry to you, too!

You know, something rang a bell and I searched the thread. Turns out I had the same problem when I first got my cable. Lol.

Everything's fine now, months later :)

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #732 of 2,875
I wen
You know, something rang a bell and I searched the thread. Turns out I had the same problem when I first got my cable. Lol.

Everything's fine now, months later :)
I went to the store to tell this issue, last week and I couldn't reproduce the issue there. It's just a little tight, and I was scared that I would break it. Is there any noticeable sonic improvement on changing this cable? I found few in Ali express, but it's risky as lot of people has commented about channel drops on most Chinese "upgrade" cables. At least the bundled cable works ! Unfortunately I couldn't find a store where they sell the v-moda cable in Germany. I got v1 last week for 199euros from Amazon. But, now that there is a v2, I am thinking of returning this for getting that. It's still not in store or in any online stores yet here. Is it worth the wait? V1 is 250 euros here right now. I normally listen to headphones only when I go around traveling. so due to lack of isolation, I normally do not listen to it's full potential. So if the differences are small which won't be noticeable in a bit noisy train, I wont try to upgrade. Can somebody do a comparison? I am only interested to see if it sounds far better un-amped. I have a e12 but, I hate to carry the stack. So source will be mostly a xduoo x3(surpringly decent, though not as good as e12 with h6 on high gain). Also, if the prices are day and night.. I would like to pass on.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #733 of 2,875
  I received a black H6 v2 a few days ago and have been comparing them to the PM-3 and M50x. I was looking for a more portable can than the M50x for travel and these two were on my short list of candidates. Source equipment is a 13" MacBook Pro Retina running JRiver Media Center playing from my FLAC library and Tidal HiFi streaming. Output is via an Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 USB amp/DAC.

Well, the H6 is just awesome! My initial listen wasn't favorable - they sounded flat and congested - but it was late and I was tired. I've spent the last two days swapping back and forth between these three and I find the H6 to be a simply wonderful sounding headphone. All of the attributes that have already been mentioned in this thread are apparent. I *really* thought that the Oppo would blow them away, but no dice. The PM-3 sounds a bit lifeless in comparison, and the soundstage of the H6 is far superior. The PM-3 has a lot to like, but listening to them makes me feel as if I have two small speakers strapped to my head, which in fact I do. I can't get lost in the music. No such issue with the H6! The Audio-Technica is a great headphone for what it is but the H6 (and the Oppo as well) are in a different league. The H6 is definitely a keeper.

One thing I did want to note - earlier in this thread several people mentioned that the PM-3 cable fit their H6. I don't know if the v2 cable socket is different, but there is no way my PM-3 cable fits. The diameter of the housing around the jack is too large for the socket on the H6 earcup and I can only get audio from the right channel. It won't seat all the way. FYI.

Thanks for your impressions! I'm actually waiting for my pair of H6 V2 to be delivered in a couple of days. I also have a pair of Oppo PM3 which i love. The only issue i have with the PM3 is that they are not very well driven by my iPhone and iPod touch. I have a question: how do you find the bass of the H6 V2 compared to the Oppo? (I didn't buy the V1 just because they were said to be bass light but i bought V2 as some people reported that they have more and  tighter bass than V1). 

How the H6 V2 sound straight out from a portable device without amp?

Thanks!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back