Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Mar 7, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #693 of 2,875
I'm actually thinking of selling my lovely H6s due to the fact I'm using the open EL-8s more these days.  If anyone in AU is interested, please PM me.  I'll post an ad in a few days :)

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #695 of 2,875
Hello -

I'm considering the H6 2nd Gen. for use with my laptop, and eventually with a DAP. I'm also interested in the Beyerdynamic DT 1350. Of course, the H6 is more expensive than the 1350, and the impedance is different (30 ohms versus 80, respectively). How else do the two models compare?

Thanks,
Brian

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #696 of 2,875
I just got a cheap $14 Auvio 3.5mm audio cable in replace B&O 3 buttons iOS cable, and it is sad to say B&O 3 buttons iOS cable really sucks.
With Auvio, bass is significant fuller with more impact, midrange are fuller, and high are more detail, but most important, metallic glaring from high-mid of female voice is gone!

Build quality of Auvio 3.5mm audio cable is not the best, but it's good enough until my ADL iHP-35B arrived from Japan. B&O 3 buttons iOS cable will go into drawer.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #697 of 2,875
  Hello -

I'm considering the H6 2nd Gen. for use with my laptop, and eventually with a DAP. I'm also interested in the Beyerdynamic DT 1350. Of course, the H6 is more expensive than the 1350, and the impedance is different (30 ohms versus 80, respectively). How else do the two models compare?

Thanks,
Brian

For one thing, 1350's are on ear which are generally less comfortable than over ear hp's like the h6. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #699 of 2,875
Aaaaand that offer is gone. Was going to get the Mh40 until I read about the second generation of these. This guy called Marco loves them loads and says it fixes the first gen's problems. Can't wait for reviews from you guys.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #702 of 2,875
Received my (2nd Gen) H6 - natural tan color today, my first quick impressions are:

1. Its sound stage appears to be more open than the PM3.
2. Isolation is good; very low leakage.
3. Sounds very good just with an iPad and iPhone.
4. Using a Grace m9xx, the H6 opens up with more texture; need to conduct more listening tests with other amps.
5. Good midrange and pronounced bass.
6. Very Light.

Not as positive:

1. The leather pads are soft but I wish they were thicker.
2. The headband support need to have thicker foam to provide more comfort.
2. Not the most comfortable cans I have based on the common feedback - a slight let down.
3. The rubbery 99 cent iPhone cable w/ mic is thin and the plastic connectors are low quality - completely out of place with this nice looking cans.
4. The package materials are bare. Have issues with "cleanliness"; there were residue particles of unknown natures stuck to the fabric interiors. While the box was sealed with plastic, the unit did not look "mint" as a PM3 or a 400i.

Overall, I am satisfied; H6 will be a good office addition after I get a new cable replacement.

EDIT: the "residues" were from the cowhide leather. 

EDIT#2: after the "break-in" period if there is such a thing, the unit is become more comfortable. Since the unit is so light, it is now my preferred office HP. .

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #704 of 2,875
I too was trying to decide between the MH40, PM3, or the new 2nd gen H6. I am a basshead (current headphones are Denon AHD-1100) so I wasn't originally considering the H6 that much until marco.org's glowing review and amazon.com reviews saying their bass was improved. I bit the bullet and ordered them so I'll let you guys know my impressions when they arrive. I also want to buy a headphone amp but not sure which one yet. I was about to buy the one on monoprice.com which had a $20 coupon code to boot, but I hesitated and now it's out of stock until June!

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #705 of 2,875

Based on the headphones I've listened to that are on Marco's list, I think his reviews are pretty spot-on, FWIW. I love my H6s. I recently picked up a pair of HifiMan 400i after testing a few pairs of open-back models, and I'm honestly not so sure that I like them better than the H6. They're different, and they're quite good, but if I could only have one pair, it might be the H6. Gotta find some time for A/B comparisons!

Anyway ... I've used the H6 a lot with the Fiio Q1 portable dac/amp, and I think it's a really nice pairing. Pretty neutral, black background, adds a little to the depth and soundstage. I don't have a ton of experience with amps, and none with any over $200, but I've been really happy using the H6 driven by Q1 (low gain, bass boost off) coming from either my MacBook or an Android tablet with an OTG adapter. Q1 can also function as an amp-only via 3.5mm in, but to my ears the sound is a little better with the DAC in play. 

Q1 is going for around $70 online in the US, including from Amazon, whose return policy is quite liberal if you wind up not liking it (and don't have a moral issue with test driving on Amazon's dime). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back