Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #331 of 2,875
Finally got a chance to test the h6 today akthough it was the new limited edition graphite/blush model. Now ive never heard the original models but these ones definitely do not sound like the many reviews ive read. They are far from neutral and seem to have an emphasized bass and treble response. As a result the mids come across a little recessed sounding. As far as i can tell the limited editions are only supposed to have cosmetic changes. Has anyone tried them?

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #332 of 2,875
Finally got a chance to test the h6 today akthough it was the new limited edition graphite/blush model. Now ive never heard the original models but these ones definitely do not sound like the many reviews ive read. They are far from neutral and seem to have an emphasized bass and treble response. As a result the mids come across a little recessed sounding. As far as i can tell the limited editions are only supposed to have cosmetic changes. Has anyone tried them?

I had the same experience although it was with the standard black versions, just a new pair, mentioned it in the portable headphones comparison thread. I've auditioned them before and they sounded fairly different from the most recent time compared to the first time, like you said - stronger bass and treble than I expected. Did they update the sound recently or something?

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #333 of 2,875
I had the same experience although it was with the standard black versions, just a new pair, mentioned it in the portable headphones comparison thread. I've auditioned them before and they sounded fairly different from the most recent time compared to the first time, like you said - stronger bass and treble than I expected. Did they update the sound recently or something?

I did read they changed the sound on the DJ Khaled branded models to have more bass but everything I have read about these limited editon ones suggests only cosmetic changes. Even the limited edition boxes look the same and are worded the same. Talking to the people in the shop everything they've been told is that they should be the same as the originals.
I actually thought they sounded quite good with the tuning they had and was tempted to get an original black pair but not knowing if the tuning was the same I decided against it.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #334 of 2,875
Hi guys,

I bought the Blue Stone version of the H6 and (obviously?) out-of-the-box sound was (excuse my language) total crap. Now I did audition them a couple of days ago, but those were demo ones in the official B&O shop. Compared them to my well-burnt-in B&W P5 and weeeew, what a disaster P5 were compared to H6 :) Lol, I have never thought I'd hear such a different sound. Ok, I understand H6 are kinda flat and neutral and P5 are colored pretty much as Mona Lisa but still ... Was very very pleased so I went for them. Not to mention that the original price was 400 EUR but I negotiated it for 300 EUR :wink: Cheers B&O you're truly amazing!

Have to mention that they offered me the Rose Gold (The love Affair Collection H6) for 350 EUR but I just couldn't wait until 20th of May (when they would have them in the shop).

My 1st ever plug in to my Shozy Alien and ops, what is this? I have some truly great original recording converted to FLAC, the echo sounds on the CD were deliberately added during the post-production, but on H6 2 voices sounded as one was on Mount Everest and the other coming from Pacific Ocean, my head actually hurt.

Now I know these are wonderful phones, but how many play-hours you'd think they gonna need to come to their senses?

PS Last night I was burning them in using my Yamaha integrated amp on 40-45% of headphone out power and I'm gonna continue the drill for at least a week so I hope in total the H6 will get 50+ hours of quality burn-in.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #335 of 2,875
Hi guys,

I bought the Blue Stone version of the H6 and (obviously?) out-of-the-box sound was (excuse my language) total crap. Now I did audition them a couple of days ago, but those were demo ones in the official B&O shop. Compared them to my well-burnt-in B&W P5 and weeeew, what a disaster P5 were compared to H6 :) Lol, I have never thought I'd hear such a different sound. Ok, I understand H6 are kinda flat and neutral and P5 are colored pretty much as Mona Lisa but still ... Was very very pleased so I went for them. Not to mention that the original price was 400 EUR but I negotiated it for 300 EUR :wink: Cheers B&O you're truly amazing!

Have to mention that they offered me the Rose Gold (The love Affair Collection H6) for 350 EUR but I just couldn't wait until 20th of May (when they would have them in the shop).

My 1st ever plug in to my Shozy Alien and ops, what is this? I have some truly great original recording converted to FLAC, the echo sounds on the CD were deliberately added during the post-production, but on H6 2 voices sounded as one was on Mount Everest and the other coming from Pacific Ocean, my head actually hurt.

Now I know these are wonderful phones, but how many play-hours you'd think they gonna need to come to their senses?

PS Last night I was burning them in using my Yamaha integrated amp on 40-45% of headphone out power and I'm gonna continue the drill for at least a week so I hope in total the H6 will get 50+ hours of quality burn-in.

Thanks!

The bluestone are the limited edition blue and grey model right?

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #336 of 2,875
The bluestone are the limited edition blue and grey model right?

Yeah, it says so on the box. BTW, I figured out it was my mistake. The sound is great out-of-the-box, the problem was with the cable... It really has to be pushed in the hard way into the phones.... But still gonna burn them in for a while, I'm sure they will improve.

These are the ones:

http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplay-h6-se-blue-stone

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #337 of 2,875
Yeah, it says so on the box. BTW, I figured out it was my mistake. The sound is great out-of-the-box, the problem was with the cable... It really has to be pushed in the hard way into the phones.... But still gonna burn them in for a while, I'm sure they will improve.

These are the ones:

http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplay-h6-se-blue-stone

Now this is really confusing, you say the bluestones are neutral sounding where as the graphite blush I tested sounded quite V shaped. What other headphones have you heard that you would consider neutral?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #338 of 2,875
Now this is really confusing, you say the bluestones are neutral sounding where as the graphite blush I tested sounded quite V shaped. What other headphones have you heard that you would consider neutral?

I've heard lots of them over the passed years. Listened to H6 with Yamaha's PureDirect switch on. Alien also does not do extra processing so what I'm getting is what's there. They do sound very neutral, but not flat. I believe they would be close to Jazz EQ predefined curve which is almost flat. But in the end, speakers and phones are something folks' opinions differ just like V curve differs from the flat one, ie what might sound neutral to me might sound V shaped to someone else.

It's all in the ears of the beholder.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #339 of 2,875
I've heard lots of them over the passed years. Listened to H6 with Yamaha's PureDirect switch on. Alien also does not do extra processing so what I'm getting is what's there. They do sound very neutral, but not flat. I believe they would be close to Jazz EQ predefined curve which is almost flat. But in the end, speakers and phones are something folks' opinions differ just like V curve differs from the flat one, ie what might sound neutral to me might sound V shaped to someone else.

It's all in the ears of the beholder.

Yeh i guess that could be true. I recently tested the noble 4 which people reviewed as being very neutral but when i tried them the upper mids/treble seemed far from neutral to my ears.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #342 of 2,875
I really like these headphones but i'm unwilling to pull the trigger as the only pair i've demoed sound nothing like what most of the reviews claim and i'm currently unable to demo a different pair to confirm whether the pair i heard is the typical h6 sound. Just wondering if anyone would be able to chime in and perhaps be able to name a headphone or two that they think the h6 sounds like or perhaps something with a similar bass or treble response. Cheers!

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #343 of 2,875
I think the AKG K545 sounds the same. BUT I DON'T KNOW, because that is what I am trying to find out. I auditioned the H6 today and it was blissful audio once again. But the price... I can get the AKG K545 for more than half the price. So I want to ask you; Have you guys compared these two headphones with each other? 

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #344 of 2,875
I think the AKG K545 sounds the same. BUT I DON'T KNOW, because that is what I am trying to find out. I auditioned the H6 today and it was blissful audio once again. But the price... I can get the AKG K545 for more than half the price. So I want to ask you; Have you guys compared these two headphones with each other? 

Hmmm I found that the h6 sounded nothing like the k545 personally, I wonder if that particular model has a different tuning to the rest of them as I have found one review that seems to describe what I am hearing. I tried them both out and preferred the more fun sound of the h6. The k545 was much like the k550, lean, clean and neutral sounding. Over here they are around the same price slits a matter of sound preference really, but if you can get them for half the h6 price then they are much better value. The only akg I found I quite liked turned out to be the k267 but that model is more expensive than both of the others.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #345 of 2,875
It's been what.. maybe 2 weeks since I bought H6 and I can gladly say that they make the perfect combo with my Shozy Alien. No need for an amp and if Alien's not there, I still get a decent sound from my Lumia 1020. The price I paid for both was approx 500 euro and it damn well deserves it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back