Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs - A Newer & MORE POWERFUL Sith Lord Emerges??
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #106 of 432
  Yeah I noticed, though it seems most negative reviews are coming from people disliking sennheiser singature sound in general, and most of them are bassheads :wink:

I agree. Bassheads have no business buying Sennheisers. Stick with Sony and esp Beats. lol (Though I can't say ALL Sony headphones are bassy, but the $299 MDR-1As I had kinda were.) 

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #107 of 432

I agree. Bassheads have no business buying Sennheisers. Stick with Sony and esp Beats. lol (Though I can't say ALL Sony headphones are bassy, but the $299 MDR-1As I had kinda were.) 

What do you think of this review? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/RW5RCZH0UCBGO/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01JP436TS
Seems pretty legit and he claims standard 598 wins with 598cs in every category even bass

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #108 of 432

My lovely Sony MA900 aren't bassy, and i like more their sound (airy, imagine, soundstage) than 598Cs, but like i said previous is completely unfair to be comparing open headphone with closed, but when i need noise isolation i prefer the 598Cs.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #110 of 432
  What do you think of this review? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/RW5RCZH0UCBGO/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01JP436TS
Seems pretty legit and he claims standard 598 wins with 598cs in every category even bass

Everyone has an opinion based on their own individual preferences. It depends on what you want and what you're willing to put up AND pay. I'm not willing to put up with open-back headphones, so my opinion really doesn't matter cuz I'd never buy one. lol Most say they do sound better, but not all. Just look at this video review comparison. You may disagree with him but if you were to actually try both out like he did, you might surprise yourself. lol That's why I say, use reviews as guides, but know that you're never gonna be 100% sure unless you review the items yourself. 

I just remembered............when I did compare my old AKG K553 (which sound EXACTLY the same as the K550) vs. the Sennheiser HD 598 SE, I found the K553's soundstage seemed to be just as wide as the 598 SE. So I guess I would disagree with the reviewer you posted. lol 

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #111 of 432
My lovely Sony MA900 aren't bassy, and i like more their sound (airy, imagine, soundstage) than 598Cs, but like i said previous in completely unfair to be comparing open headphone with closed, but when i need noise isolation i prefer the 598Cs.

Ok well there ya go! lol I didn't want to assume they all were bassy, and I'm glad I didn't. lol 

I don't agree that being open-back automatically makes a pair of headphones superior to closed-back ones. But that's just me. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #112 of 432

Everyone has an opinion based on their own individual preferences. It depends on what you want and what you're willing to put up AND pay. I'm not willing to put up with open-back headphones, so my opinion really doesn't matter cuz I'd never buy one. lol Most say they do sound better, but not all. Just look at this video review comparison. You may disagree with him but if you were to actually try both out like he did, you might surprise yourself. lol That's why I say, use reviews as guides, but know that you're never gonna be 100% sure unless you review the items yourself. 

I just remembered............when I did compare my old AKG K553 (which sound EXACTLY the same as the K550) vs. the Sennheiser HD 598 SE, I found the K553's soundstage seemed to be just as wide as the 598 SE. So I guess I would disagree with the reviewer you posted. lol 

Yeah I've seen this video very informative review. It's so confusing we have so many contrary reviews of 598Cs.

My biggest fears regarding closed headphones:
- soundstage
- airyness/spaciness
- fatique/hot ears

I'm not an audiophile, my collection and budget is just to little for that, but I consider myself as someone who appreciate high quality sound. Currently most of my heapdhones are Sennheiser's, maybe it makes me a fanboy? Mostly I use  PX 100-II on-ear and the soundstage monster MX980 high-end earbuds, which are genius for gaming. Next week I'll have HD598Cs shipped, which I got for 99 euros black friday deal. I wouldn't buy them otherwise since I don't usually spend more then 100 euros on headphones. I don't demand huge soundstage, but I expect it to be decent and above average, same goes for bass. I also have some old sony's open over the ears, not using them they're so loud I could easily use them as computer speakers, so just like you seek for more isolating headphones, but it's not like first priority because I don't want to sacrifice sound quality so in my mind isolation comes as important, but secondary feature. Many reviewers, not all of them, but maybe 50% are saying closed design is what makes 598Cs far worse than open ones. To make things more confusing there are some rumors Sennheser put hardware from lesser model in the 598 shell, but for now there's no definite proof for that. Not gonna lie all of this makes me a little worry about my purchase.

ps: what do you think about build quality? Especially the fabric on the outter shell of earcups? Is it dust magnet?

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #113 of 432
  Yeah I've seen this video very informative review. It's so confusing we have so many contrary reviews of 598Cs.

- soundstage
- airyness/spaciness
- fatique

I'm not an audiophile, my collection and budget is just to little for this, but I consider myself as someone who appreciate high quality sound. Currently most of my heapdhones are Sennheiser's, maybe it makes me a fanboy? Mostly I use  PX 100-II on-ear and the soundstage monster MX980 earbuds, which are genius for gaming. Next week I'll have HD598Cs shipped, which I got for 99 euros black friday deal. I wouldn't buy them otherwise since I don't usually spend more then 100 euros on headphones. I don't demand huge soundstage, but I expect it to be decent and above average, same goes for bass. I also have some old sony's open over the ears, not using them they're so loud I could easily use them as computer speakers, so just like you seek for more isolating headphones, but it's not like it's a first priority because I don't want to sacrifice sound quality so in my mind isolation comes as important, but secondary feature. Many reviewers, not all of them, but maybe 50% are saying closed design is what makes 598Cs far worse than open ones. To make things more confusing there are some rumors Sennheier put hardware from lesser model in the 598 shell, but for now there's no definite proof for that. Not gonna lie ale of this makes me a little worry about my purchase.

ps: what do you think about build quality? Especially the fabric on the outter shell of earcups? Is it dust magnet?

I think the soundstage is fantastic! The airyness/spaciness was DEF better than my H6s simply b/c there was more breathing room in there. And that DID make the music sound better too cuz the stuff you're hearing gets to kind of linger a bit so you can really take it in. Fatigue? That comes from not enough restraint in the high end/treble region. I don't feel that the Cs has any issue with that though, but they still have that "sparkle" or openness in that region which allows you to hear the chimey sound of an acoustic guitar, etc. That stuff is VERY important to me. 

Well nothing wrong with that Sennheiser is a FANTASTIC company that's been around for 70 years. They actually INVENTED the open-back headphone in the late 60s.......read that somewhere. Depending on which headphones you get, you may NOT actually be sacrificing quality by getting closed-backs. I heard that rumor too, but I honestly don't care. They sounded better than my $299 H6s as you saw in my OP in this thread. That's all I need to know. lol 

I think the build quality is great. It seems very premium considering there's not much metal on there at all. The outer patch made of velour or fabric..............I was worried about that too, but when I put it in the sweet hard case I bought (similar one just like it available here), the dust/lint seemed to vanish. So not worried about it anymore. But even when not in case it really doesn't seem to be an issue at all. And again, comfort-wise, these are much better than the 598 or even 598 SE headphones (I've tried them both). The smooth vs. ribbed headband padding of those 2 open-backs wins out b/c smooth just sits more comfortably on my head, where ribbed kinda pokes in a bit. I had to angle my 598 SE's earcups inwards at the top to fix this issue, but the Cs doesn't require this and is slightly more comfortable anyway. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #114 of 432

Please be careful about pigeonholing people and brands with blanket statements, it sounds elitist and biased.

I have the open-back Sony MDR-MA900 along with the Senn HD598 and the MA900 have less bass to my ears but have a really clean, smooth, airy sound, that make the HD598 sound v-shaped in comparison, relatively speaking.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread
One opinion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629385/ma900-review-the-hd598-killer

Also, I have heard that the Beats Solo 2 are really good headphones but I have not listened to them myself yet.  Supposedly well-balanced.

Thanks again for all your great input.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #115 of 432

- soundstage
- airyness/spaciness
- fatique/hot ears

I'm not an audiophile, my collection and budget is just to little for that, but I consider myself as someone who appreciate high quality sound. Currently most of my heapdhones are Sennheiser's, maybe it makes me a fanboy? Mostly I use  PX 100-II on-ear and the soundstage monster MX980 high-end earbuds, which are genius for gaming. Next week I'll have HD598Cs shipped, which I got for 99 euros black friday deal. I wouldn't buy them otherwise since I don't usually spend more then 100 euros on headphones. I don't demand huge soundstage, but I expect it to be decent and above average, same goes for bass. I also have some old sony's open over the ears, not using them they're so loud I could easily use them as computer speakers, so just like you seek for more isolating headphones, but it's not like first priority because I don't want to sacrifice sound quality so in my mind isolation comes as important, but secondary feature. Many reviewers, not all of them, but maybe 50% are saying closed design is what makes 598Cs far worse than open ones. To make things more confusing there are some rumors Sennheser put hardware from lesser model in the 598 shell, but for now there's no definite proof for that. Not gonna lie all of this makes me a little worry about my purchase.

I have both too, MX985 and 598Cs, you will not regret it. For 99 $ you stole Amazon. I like the two for different uses and portability.

Wow! they are very all-round but make shine the new album of R.E.M even more :)

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #116 of 432

Please be careful about pigeonholing people and brands with blanket statements, it sounds elitist and biased.

I have the open-back Sony MDR-MA900 along with the Senn HD598 and the MA900 have less bass to my ears but have a really clean, smooth, airy sound, that make the HD598 sound v-shaped in comparison, relatively speaking.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread
One opinion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629385/ma900-review-the-hd598-killer

Also, I have heard that the Beats Solo 2 are really good headphones but I have not listened to them myself yet.  Supposedly well-balanced.

Thanks again for all your great input.

Sure. I try to, but I don't feel I was here. I left room for doubt with Sony, but even people who I know that OWN Beats headphones say they're too bassy and/or the bass is distorted or unclear. 

I never heard of the MA900 until today, but I took a quick look at them and they do look and sound like nice headphones. Don't see many open-back Sony headphones, so that was interesting to note as well. I really did love my 1As and kept them for several months last year. If it wasn't for the bass issue, I might still have them today as they were even more comfortable than my Cs', but since my Cs' are super comfortable anyway, it really doesn't make for much difference I guess. lol 

Cool.

YW. And thank you. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #117 of 432
The ma900 has less bass? They are probably some of the bassiest headphones I have ever tried and I can never seem to enjoy its "relaxed" presentation with bass heavy, dare I say muddy bass/mid bass. I have only heard the 598 for acoustic music so I don't know exactly how much bass it actually has, but I'm fairly certain it has less bass since it did not make the acoustic music sound bassy like the ma900 would.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #118 of 432
I bought the HD 598 Cs for $99 on black friday, currently waiting for them to arrive. There´s a lot of reviews on Amazon talking trash about the headphones, im starting to worry S:

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #119 of 432
  I bought the HD 598 Cs for $99 on black friday, currently waiting for them to arrive. There´s a lot of reviews on Amazon talking trash about the headphones, im starting to worry S:

I would ignore those negative reviews. The Cs' are FANTASTIC headphones, and sound better than some $400 headphones I've tried. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #120 of 432
How are the HD 598 CS on female and male vocals? Can anyone that have them comment on them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back