Bang & Olufsen A8
Mar 10, 2002 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Driftwood

100+ Head-Fier
Dangit, I saw these for $100, and even though I know I will be disappointed, I am tempted. Not that I have ears of gold or anything, but these seem to be some of the most debated headphones (well, ok, not really, but they do have their supporters). Pease someone stop me from buying some $100 headphones that I do not intend to actually use other than to determine where I stand on the issue!

Driftwood

Mar 10, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 38
Hah!! I'm sure as heck not stopping you. I've got them and I am one of the suporters. GO FOR IT!! I like 'em. Make sure that you break them in before you do any critical judging, however. Tell me what you think.

Mar 10, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 38
And where did you see them for $100? At a B&O store? When do they ever have discounts?

Oh, actually I think I might know. On E-Bay, lots of people from Japan sell them (new) for around $100 U.S. People in the U.S. think they're getting a deal, but, that's what they sell for there!

Luke

Mar 10, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 38
You want someone to stop you? No problem.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THAT CRAP!

I've tried them, and they are not worth a 100 bucks. Like all the other B&O products, the money you pay goes to the design, not sound. You can get much better sounding products for less! Unless you don't give a damn about how they sound, and you just want to walk on the street and show people that you've got money to waste.....

OK, enough bashing
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, I think it depends on what you need them for. If you want a pair of light, cool-looking headphones with OK sound, you can consider this pair, but the price is just ridiculous, IMO. The wires seem too weak for portable use to me....

Mar 10, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 38
well, see the thing is, I don't need them. Not in any way. I don't see myself EVER using them, other than to add another headphone to the stash and to evaluate them (in order to give a hopefully unbiased review). I own a HD-600 for home use, and I have ordered a Stax SR-001 MkII for portable use (and also because there haven't been a lot of reviews so I thought maybe I could contribute something there as well). The B&O A8 sure wouldn't get used over the Stax, and when I am at home you can be sure I'd rather listen to the HD-600. so if you ask me, the lack of use is what makes me hope someone can give a really good reason why I should not spend another $100 on these...

And thinking about it, I think I would rather get some Grados for $100 just so I can own a pair.

Not that I am really trying to look for another way to spend money, I don't have the finances for this!!

Acck. Someone stop me, I am out of control.

Driftwood

Mar 10, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 38
If you already own a pair of HD600 and are getting the Stax SR-001, what you really need now is a slap on your face from someone close to you to wake you up. Especially when you don't have the finances for this nonsense!

Don't really understand why you would get a pair of $100 Grados instead either, when you've got a pair of HD600s on your head already.....

Mar 10, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 38
well, ok, granted.

I don't need grados. But then at least I could say I have some, and could hopefully speak intelligently about them.

But then again, I REALLY don't need to spend the money, plus what I could get for $100 would most certainly not compare with the HD-600.

I think I will save my money and spend it on interconnects instead.

Driftwood

Mar 10, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 38
LOL!!!!

Driftwood, I think the shrinks have a term for your current mental state. If I was you, I would definitely follow Braver's advice
smily_headphones1.gif

I, too, am in a dilemma right now. I have a pair of HD590s which I love. Right now, I'm wondering if I should add a pair of Stax in my collection, specifically the SRS-2020 set. I need someone to stop me too
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 38
I am quite sure that there are terms for people like me. My girlfriend studies psychology and loves to tell me what kind of disorders I have.

But the problem isn't not buying cds... I have that in spades.

But I actually have been experiencing some problems with purchasing cds, the problem is the people I like have become some esoteric that the cds are out of print, and when they were in print, there were only 3000 copies made by a small record company in france.

This makes buying cds difficult when I live in america...

Driftwood

Mar 10, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 38
HAHAHAHA

[5 minutes later]
hahahaha..... whew.

I guess my money would be best focused elsewhere.
Thanks for gently steering me away from making a(nother) foolish purchase.

Driftwood

Mar 10, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 38
Driftwood.

I have the perfect answer to your problem.

Send me $100.00. Then you won't have it to spend and your problem will be solved.

I can put it towards a new cable for my HD600's.

Thanking you in advance, I await your cashiers check or money order.

Mar 11, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 38
GOOD HEAVENS!!
eek.gif

I hope you all know that I DO own this headphone and I'm very dissapointed about all these people dissing it!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Where the heck is dlorde- he/she supported those headphones a lot (and had compared them to the Etymotics - yes, the Etymotics- even though she said that the Etys were better, he/she still liked the B&O's after hearing the Ety's and that's all that counts)!

DO A SEARCH ON -- "A8" or "Bang Olufsen" Get versed on the controversy. And be amazed at how many people actually heard these cans before they started hating them!! Not many. Everyone simply assumes that they bad because they are made by B&O, the DESIGN company. Well, I say pooey to that!!
mad.gif

And KR: Have you even heard them?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back