Bang & Olufsen A8 mod
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Those who own the B&O A8 will know that the mid and bass quality of A8 relies heavily on the fit, but getting a good fit is often quite difficult. Here is a very simple modification you can perform on A8 that will increase he bottom end of the frequency response yet will not taint the treble. The most significant effect of this mod is, it makes perfect fit less important for getting a good sound.

Note: All you need for the mod is a bit of Scotch Tapes, but you'll have to use foam pad with your A8 after the mod.

Take the foam pads off your A8. You will find two venting ducts under the transducer housing.
DSCF0278_resize.jpg

Cut a small piece of Scotch Tape and glue it over the venting ducts, leaving only about 1/4 of the ducts open (glued area shows in red).
DSCF0278_resize-1_resize.jpg

DSCF0279_resize.jpg

Put the foam pad back and enjoy!
biggrin.gif

[UPDATE] If any of you find that the A8's sound reversed back to the original after a while, you might want to change the tape. If you are in a hurry, just pull out and glue back the old tape should suffice. The reason is unclear to me, but I'll guess it is because the tape becomes loosen over time and somehow cause the sealing effect to reduce and result in SQ reversal.

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 16
It really does do what you said o_O.

I always noticed the bass was there if I forced the earbuds into my ears, but that was the only way to get it so I just gave up, thanks to you I can enjoy the headphones without my hands on my ears!

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Someone over at BeoWorld forum spotted the mod and they seems to like it too. B&O isn't much of a warm-received brand here so I thought no one will ever reply to this thread. Glad that the mod helps.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 16
good tip, thanks for pointing out. The A8 aren't bad, I love them for their fit and pleasant sound. Only the bass is laking. With this mod they sound pretty perfect.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 16
A small update:

If any of you find that the A8's sound reversed back to the original after a while, you might want to change the tape. If you are in a hurry, just pull out and glue back the old tape should suffice. The reason is unclear to me, but I'll guess it is because the tape becomes loosen over time and somehow cause the sealing effect to reduce and result in SQ reversal.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for sharing the tip ClieOS. I will try it out... Im sure you must have also tried completely blocking the vents (rather than leaving them a quarter open), what happens when you do that?

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 16
well ...sealing the open grills of any earphone will make it sound like that.

Dec 21, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing the tip ClieOS. I will try it out... Im sure you must have also tried completely blocking the vents (rather than leaving them a quarter open), what happens when you do that?

It will take away a large portion of the soundstage in exchange of the more bass. Personally speaking, I won't recommend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well ...sealing the open grills of any earphone will make it sound like that.

Not quite. If you seal the back of PK1, all you will get is the lost of soundstage and nothing else.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It'll make them sound like they had their vents blocked
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will take away a large portion of the soundstage in exchange of the more bass. Personally speaking, I won't recommend it.

I tried sealing off the vents completely and i find just the opposite to what you hear - I find the soundstage opens out, there's much more transparency, instruments are better separated. They now sound more like IEM's. Maybe Im wearing them differently from you, hence the difference on opinion (I have large ear canals and wear the A8's quite deep in my ears).
I would urge others to try sealing the vents completely and reporting their findings back here...
Im still experimenting so this is not a final opinion....

Anyway, many thanks for discovering this mod.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 16
I have just ordered a pair of these A8 beauties. As soon as I get them I'll mess with adhesive tape. I have already tried a pair of these and I agree that some more bass would be nice. We'll see how it works...

Still some days left to get them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back