Bang for VALUE IEMS
Apr 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

daveyostrow

1000+ Head-Fier
This is for general knowledge than anything else... but good to know for a possible backup pair or a nice gift.

These are around the same price and all pretty comfortable, so price aside we are talking more performance-wize.

Philips SHE9850
Klipsch S4
and yes - Fischer Eterna

lets throw in the Hippo VB just for arguments sake since anythingbutipod seems to really like em. I had the she9850's and the microphonics were a bit annoying, and highs at times harsh so thats my reference for the rest of them.

would love to hear some pointers and comparisons, Thanks!

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 22
I've only heard the S4 and the Eternas. To me, the Eternas beat out the S4s for impact and warmness while maintaining some amount of detail in the high end. The S4s have better detail at the higher end, but don't give you that "ooomf" as the Eternas do. The Eternas are also very easy to drive. I keep my volume around 20-25% and it's plenty loud.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 22
Joker seems to reckon the new ECCI PR100s are the best for sound quality under 30 wingwangs, edging out the pretty well respected AI-M9. Something to consider. I'm trying to convince my ex-girlfriend to pick up a pair so I can listen to em.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 22
the pr100... interesting how he graded the sound of the original PR1 PRO with an 8, while he new PR100 a 6. thought they are in a diff price range.

I was looking at the M9 so the pr100 might be a way to go, but these cant compare to the ones listed above... the eternas get great feedback here.

I am assuming that for example the she9850 perform better than the budget phones like pl50, pr1 pro, addiem, imetal 590, vsonic r02 ect that Joker reviewed but maybe someone knows otherwise...

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 22
I can't say I've tried many IEMs, but the Thinksound Rains I picked up for $58 shipped from Amazon have a very smooth, warm sound that makes them very pleasant to listen to. I know a few members here actually prefer them to the RE0.

Aaron Fournier, the head honcho at Thinksound, is a great guy and he'll bend over backwards to help you if something goes wrong. I was having trouble with the stock tips and he really went the extra mile.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 22
RE0 is pretty up there in terms of great value. I also like the PL30 at the under 20 but of course I haven't had too many at that price range in a while.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are tons of threads on this. why start a new one as it only adds clutter to any new member looking for that answer.

just saying.

Maybe i wasnt clear enough... im not asking for recommendations as much as direct comparisons of the iems mentioned.
like the s4 next to the she9850.

now if there is a phone in same price range or less than im open to hearing... hence the comment about the pr100 probably not being comparable.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 22
Don't forget that personal preferences play a huge role in all of this. There are many here who adore the S4 but I'd personally rather be listening to a lot of the ~$50 ones - the iM-590, Thinksound Thunder, PL50, PR1 Pro, M6, etc. And never mind that at a similar price point I think the ViSang R03 slaps the S4 silly.

I've not heard the Eternas or the 9850s

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 22
Right now, for me, the biggest bang-for-buck value is the MEElectronics M9 for just over $20. Lots of nice pluses for this IEM -- SQ, build quality, cable to name a few.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 22
Hifiman RE0. Nothing beats them in that price range, although they require a good source and preferably a dedicated amp to sound their best. They still sound fine out of a decent portable like a Sansa Clip though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back