Bands you wish you were smart enough to go and see live
Jul 31, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen most of my fave bands.

NoMeansNo, Slint, Medeski Martin & Wood, Tortoise, Russian Circles, DoMakeSayThink, GYBE, Sonic Youth, TOOL, Radiohead...

I haven't missed any bands that I have wanted to see. I have missed a lot of bands that broke up before I got into them.

Although, I will miss Bonnaroo next year and I will be sad a sad face
frown.gif

Slint: 2005 or "in the day" ?

I don't think they've ever been to Cleveland.. if they were it was before Spiderland.. they had a Cleveland date scheduled for the Spiderland tour but I think they broke up and had to cancel.. obviously.. :frowning2:

I saw Sonic Youth in 1992 on the 4th of July in Central Park NYC.

-jar

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #33 of 48
In 1978 I was a freshman in college, and worried about my grades. I gave away a ticket to see Thin Lizzy at the Spectrum, which at that time was the main arena for major rock bands in Philadelphia.

I sat at my lousy desk back at the dorm and studied for an exam while, a short ride away, one of the great guitar bands of all time raised the roof and generally tore the house down.

Later that year, the classic Live and Dangerous was released as a document of the tour.

The full weight of my screwup didn't hit me until 1986, when Phil Lynott died at the ripe old age of 37. I never did get to see him, either with our without Thin Lizzy.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slint: 2005 or "in the day" ?

I don't think they've ever been to Cleveland.. if they were it was before Spiderland.. they had a Cleveland date scheduled for the Spiderland tour but I think they broke up and had to cancel.. obviously.. :frowning2:

I saw Sonic Youth in 1992 on the 4th of July in Central Park NYC.

-jar

I wish it was in the day!!! I saw em at the Metro in Chicago... I am really into those Chicago bands... so many good ones!

Im still lookin for a bootleg from that show... there was a dude recording it on a MD.. he gave me his email but I lost it!! pretty bummed!

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRV & Double Trouble at the show they recorded "Live at the El Mocambo'.

Wow! You just reminded me of another of my bone-headed decisions not to attend a show. During my first year in NYC (1985), my friends scored tickets to a concert tribute to John Hammond, the legendary music industry figure who played a role in the careers of everyone from Billy Holiday and Bessy Smith to Bruce Springsteen, Count Basie and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Oh, yeah, also Dylan.

It's hard to imagine, but the show included Stevie Ray Vaughan, George Benson, and several legendary members of the Count Basie Orchestra. The older musicians played first, and Vaughan and his band closed the show.

As if that's not enough, Benny Goodman walked on stage unannounced toward the end of the first set, and played some of his most loved material. This was, I believe, his last public performance; he died the following year.

In my earlier post, I mentioned that I missed a great band because I was studying for a test. On the night of this show, I was in the early months of my first post-college job, and I stayed home to tweak a project I was working on. Am I a dork, or what? My friends made fun of me for months for missing that show.

O.K., let's see. I missed my one chance to see Goodman. I never got to see Stevie Ray Vaughan. I Still haven't seen George Benson, one of our greatest living musicians.

If you don't believe that such a show could have actually taken place, here's a link to the NYT review:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A963948260

Note the critic's obvious indifference to SRV; I wonder whether he would re-write that article in hindsite.

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 1978 I was a freshman in college, and worried about my grades. I gave away a ticket to see Thin Lizzy at the Spectrum, which at that time was the main arena for major rock bands in Philadelphia.

I sat at my lousy desk back at the dorm and studied for an exam while, a short ride away, one of the great guitar bands of all time raised the roof and generally tore the house down.

Later that year, the classic Live and Dangerous was released as a document of the tour.

The full weight of my screwup didn't hit me until 1986, when Phil Lynott died at the ripe old age of 37. I never did get to see him, either with our without Thin Lizzy.

When I was in college, the Dixie Dregs came to do a show and I didn't go because someone told me they were southern rock. A year later, I heard an album and learned my mistake. I never did see them. I did see Steve Morse with a 75 person audience.

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was in college, the Dixie Dregs came to do a show and I didn't go because someone told me they were southern rock. A year later, I heard an album and learned my mistake. I never did see them. I did see Steve Morse with a 75 person audience.

Funny how labels are intended to provide useful information, and, when it comes to music, often do the exact opposite. The southern rock label was applied to the Allmans, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Wet Willy, Black Oak Arkansas, and yep, even the Dregs. There are similarities, but even more differences among those bands, in my opinion. Don't get me started about the terms "new wave" or "alternative."

I always thought of the Dregs as a technique-heavy fusion band with some southern roots. Steve Morse is an amazing guitarist. I just re-read his bio at AMG and it says he toured with Deep Purple in 1996! Now THAT would have been interesting. Add that to my list of shows I wished I'd seen. Come to think of it, I'd like to see DP with Blackmore, too...

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #39 of 48
I have some great video coverage of Steve Morse while he was playing with Deep Purple. I also have 2 fantastic dvds of Philip Lynott. The Rocker - A Portrait of Philip Lynott and Thin Lizzy - Greatest Hits Both are fantastic insights to the man behind Thin Lizzy
rs1smile.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some great video coverage of Steve Morse while he was playing with Deep Purple. I also have 2 fantastic dvds of Philip Lynott. The Rocker - A Portrait of Philip Lynott and Thin Lizzy - Greatest Hits Both are fantastic insights to the man behind Thin Lizzy
rs1smile.gif

Is any of this stuff commercially available and currently in print? Sounds really good...

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a good place to start
smily_headphones1.gif

-> http://www.stevemorse.com/

I think I found both Phil Lynott dvds on ebay.

I believe there is also a 1999 dvd of Deep Purple again with the London Symphony

Thanks, Hermitt!

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #44 of 48
Some bands I wish I could have seen, I wish I was old enough to see some of them...

Judas Priest
Freddy Mercury-Queen
Ozzy with Randy Rhoads
David Lee Roth / Van Halen
Dokken
Styx
SRV
Big Country
Soundgarden
School of Fish
John Denver
Eurythmics
Brian Wilson/beach boys

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #45 of 48
at a music festival i had the chance, and wanted to see Nick Cave play, but the problem was that bob dylan was on at the same time. by luck i got one of the best spots for dylan and didn't regret it. reviews later said cave gave possibly the best performance of the festival. win win really.

a group that surprised me live was tool. they were very tight. awesome stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back