Bands Where Lead Singer Doesn't Write?
Jul 17, 2005 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bjjp2

100+ Head-Fier
I was trying to think of other bands like The Who, where the lead singer doesn't write either lyrics or music, but I couldn't think of any others. Any ideas?

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 25
-Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode (although that will change with the next DM album)
-Liam Gallagher of Oasis, but have been contributing songs since two albums ago. the latest Oasis album i believe has three Liam songs, one from Gem (the guitarist), two from Andy (which i'm glad is writing again since the demise of Ride and Hurricane#1)... the rest is Noel.
-Tom Chaplin from Keane

i'm sure i can think of more...

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 25
Frank Zappa probably only sang about half the time, if that. he usually had other vocalists (ike willis was his favorite) with more range, so he could conduct.

Jul 18, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Neil Peart wrote most of the lyrics for Rush after he joined. Although I am pretty sure that Lifeson and Lee wrote practically all of the music.

I was going to mention this as well.

And -- well, Frank Zappa didn't sing as much in his later works (though in Joe's Garage he did a surprising amount of vocal work) but he wrote EVERYTHING himself.

Oh yeah, and nobody flame me for this answer:
OZZY OSBOURNE during his solo career.

biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 25
The Manic Street Preachers during their early years IIRC.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
The Manic Street Preachers during their early years IIRC.

ahh.. but James Dean Bradfield wrote the music along with Sean Moore, didn't they? Richey James Edwards and Nicky Wire wrote the words.

i think i'll listen to THE HOLY BIBLE tomorrow as i've not touched that album in quite a while.

also, i think it's time for me to pick up an import copy of LIFEBLOOD since i'm tired of hoping for a US release.
frown.gif

4REAL.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
ahh.. but James Dean Bradfield wrote the music along with Sean Moore, didn't they? Richey James Edwards and Nicky Wire wrote the words.

i think i'll listen to THE HOLY BIBLE tomorrow as i've not touched that album in quite a while.

also, i think it's time for me to pick up an import copy of LIFEBLOOD since i'm tired of hoping for a US release.
frown.gif

4REAL.

My bad, you are correct sir. I blame my ignorence on the Wild Irish Rose
tongue.gif

I was tired waiting on the US release of Lifeblood 2 weeks after the UK release. Thank god for Ebay
cool.gif

frown.gif
at the 4REAL

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #12 of 25
They're all dead now, but:

Elvis
Sinatra, Tony Bennett, many other male "singers"
Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, many other female "singers"

They couldn't play any instruments either. Times have changed and we don't see this model as much anymore. Well, I guess we do, but they're just not as good (Britney, J Lo, etc).

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I was tired waiting on the US release of Lifeblood 2 weeks after the UK release. Thank god for Ebay
cool.gif

yeah... it's been over half a year already. everytime i buy their new albums on import, Sony/Epic screws me over by releasing it half a year later. it's happened to TIMTTMY, Know Your Enemy, and the 2 disc version of Forever Delayed. i thought to myself "it's not gonna happen this time!" but apparantly i'm losing the fight...

i've read somewhere not too long ago that Richey's parents gave up the search and filed him deceased.
frown.gif

and back on the subject...
2D from Gorillaz... Murdoc writes all the songs.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgardner
Most of the Elton John's mega hits were lyrics by Bernie Taupin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Elton John. Tim Rice wrote all his lyrics I think.

confused.gif
Which is it? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back