Bands that have jumped the shark...
Aug 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #46 of 51

Quote:
I was thinking about this the other night when I was out on one of my evening walks.  I've come to the conclusion that many singers and bands have jumped the shark recently.

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC
Jimi Hendrix (from the grave)
Bob Dylan
U2
Herbie Hancock
O.A.R.
Anything to do with Chris Cornell in any fashion

Just to name a few.

Wow, Dylan has put out a couple of amazing albums recently, and the Eagles would have to be considered good at some point to then be considered as going downhill 
biggrin.gif

--All IMO of course.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #47 of 51
Guided by Voices -  Last good album from start to finish was Alien Lanes IMO.  Under the bushes Under the Stars had some really good songs but it just seemed a little too polished.  I stopped paying attention after that.  

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:
Guided by Voices -  Last good album from start to finish was Alien Lanes IMO.  Under the bushes Under the Stars had some really good songs but it just seemed a little too polished.  I stopped paying attention after that.  

while i agree they jumped the shark before they broke up, i would say it was a little later in the game, in my opinion.
i actually really liked mag earwhig, and parts of do the collapse.
it was after that when the quality trailed off significantly.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #49 of 51
I didn't care for Van Halen so much after they got rid of David Lee Roth.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #50 of 51

Quote:
byrne's album with brian eno is among my very favorite collaborations...

i do agree that TH ran out of gas... and, like some other musicians (sting, peter gabriel, paul simon), byrne's idiosyncracies can be a little much in solo form (for my tastes).

Quote:
oh snap!!! 
blink.gif

LOL... personal preference, I guess. That still doesn't stop me from buying all of Radiohead's following albums past Amnesiac.

As for Talking Heads, I felt something was lost along the way after Speaking in Tongues and Stop Making Sense... a certain spark, can't put my finger on it. But Remain in Light was definitely their peak, and then a gradual decline from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back