Bands that have jumped the shark...
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:
Wilco has lost the plot completely. 

this was their last album i cared for:

sorry, Nels Cline fans.  his skronky guitar work is just awful to my ears...
and Tweedy's songwriting has become a yawn-fest. 
redface.gif

Agree for the most part, though will say the latest release is at least a step in the right direction. Part of the problem is that (IMO) they had several OUTSTANDING albums in a row and that cannot be maintained for too long...

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 51
looking back on it now, it really appears that Jay Bennett might have been the silent force behind the really catchy sound of Being There, Yankee, and Summerteeth.
Once he was gone, the melodies just lost their memorable qualities... 
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 51
Everything Weezer has done after pinkerton has been crap.  Also Liz Phair comes to mind, compare Exile to Guyville to the mainstream pop she does nowadays.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #21 of 51

Everything Weezer has done after pinkerton has been crap.  Also Liz Phair comes to mind, compare Exile to Guyville to the mainstream pop she does nowadays.

two very good examples. Though i actually like liz's first mainstream pop record, whitechocolatespaceegg. Everything after that has been utter dreck.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #23 of 51
The Haunted

Their debut was an explosive, neck-snapping affair. Everything else released since has been forgettable.

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 51

Waiting for this album from G´n´S, was like...lets say: "world to change"  (for me, both is/was/will be absurdly)
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 51
Alice in Chains has jumped the shark.  Their new album should not have been released.  You can't imitate Layne Staley, even though they've tried.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #27 of 51
I guess this is an obvious answer, but first thing that came to mind is Metallica, after Justice For All their quality took a nose dive (even though "black album" is a comercial success, it is balls compared to early work)

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #28 of 51
I was thinking about this the other night when I was out on one of my evening walks.  I've come to the conclusion that many singers and bands have jumped the shark recently.

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC
Jimi Hendrix (from the grave)
Bob Dylan
U2
Herbie Hancock
O.A.R.
Anything to do with Chris Cornell in any fashion

Just to name a few.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
Alice in Chains has jumped the shark.  Their new album should not have been released.  You can't imitate Layne Staley, even though they've tried.

I think I agree with you there.  When I listened to Black Gives Way to Blue when it first came out, I thought it was a decent album.  Then I reacquainted myself with their original music in the 90's and it really does not compare. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back