Bamboo Earbuds!!
Oct 23, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #136 of 143
I just put on some radioshack earbud pads and because of the increased cushiness they fit much better and the bass is far more consistent but the treble is still markedly absent and the mids are bloated, giving it a very "earbud" sound. I've burned them in about 10 hours so far with pink noise at quite a decent level out of my marantz 1060 and still havent noticed too much. Maybe i'm just spoiled by my quarter modded, dremel modded ksc75s or sr60s' sound signature and all of their sparkly goodness? I really can't decide if it's just a different sound or just inferior and thin or overly neutral but there's still the very prominent mid ranginess.

I did notice the imperfections in the wood, and the extension is not so good as already mentioned but i have to use it because the chord is so short, my torso is just slightly too long for it to reach my jean pockets, i just need like 6 more inches so it'll hit the bottom of my pocket
frown.gif
Also, the left earbud's elbow joint isn't that tight so it doesn't hold well, it looks like the little rubber piece is slightly small... i'll have to get a tiny allen wrench and reinforce with teflon tape or something.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #137 of 143
Hmm... I think that there is a lack of quality from piece to piece... like many things people have seen.

Mids are bloated... play with some eq.

The seal and fit of these makes all the difference in terms of sound (just like buds).

Tried to refenece my im716's as far as everything goes - not nearly the detail... but bad recordings are at least listenable with these...

Oh yeah - I have been buring these using sine waves... and an amp run through the line out on an ipod.
These are low imp phones, so be prepared for a little hiss. Definately not audiophile!
But, still better than any of the senn MX or Street series of buds. Much more airy than those, bass is definately there *think AKG*.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #138 of 143
ok, for all of you curious, imo, the ones from ebay thru the Hittime3c seller are fakes.

note that i am comparing the US released version (from Moma) vs the "japan release" Hittime3c's (referred to as the "Hitme" version) so, perhaps there are some packaging disparities that i note but are normal... i can't confirm as i don't have an official Japanese release.

so, here's my, probably, overlong and overthought comments...

box:
US version has a higher quality Amadana shadow logo and you can see the dots. Hitme, there is some gradient/artifacting at the dropshadow - imo, looks like a photocopy. box is a little yellowish/dingy... could be age.

on the sides of the box, the words "Earphone", a Japanese word and PE-117 are in a different location, use different fonts/spacing. the italicized word, "amadana" looks the same. US version has a sticker w/ the barcode. Hitme version has same barcode number (w/ a T in front of it), and some other logos printed on it. on the other side, similar comments except US version has a sticker w/ contents listed. i assume the Japanese is the same.

US box cardboard sleeve is different - nice glossy white outside, gray inside, thinner. Hitme version seems a bit dingy, gray white and thicker.

inside black box is different. the US version is matte w/ a linen texture on the outside, a stripy texture inside. there is a sticker w/ some japanese and 0522 (inspector sticker?). construction is different - the inside support is a pentagon. the Hitme version is a glossy black cardboard, no texture, no sticker. the supporting flanges are lower and rectangular.

the foam holding the earphones are different in texture, color and thickness... hard to describe. sorry. again, imo, the texture of the foam from the US version works w/ the rest of the packaging - to me, quite deliberately designed - at least, if i designed these, i'd do the same.

heh, but, let's move on the the earphones:

right away, i notice that the joint on the Hitme version is much looser, not aligned, not as fitted. the US version has some nice smooth resistance when you move it. the shape of the bamboo is thinner on the US version and where the bamboo meets the metal ends, it is nicely aligned. the Hitme version, the bamboo seems slightly bigger and on mine, they're not properly centered. the bar hook is matte on the US version and ends w/ a rounded tip. the Hitme version is glossier and ends flat - and when i tried them on, i can feel why the rounded ones are better b/c the flat ends scratch. the metal finishes on the US version have a definite pattern - either circular on the ends or a linear pattern on the flat parts. the Hitme version, they are less distinct (if any). the word "amadana" on the earphone bar (which is thicker on the US version, btw)... the straight part of the letter "d" curves slightly to the left on the US version; the Hitme version, that part is more or less straight - font is very similar. did i mention that the Hitme version is overall, floppier?

the cable on the Hitme version is thicker. the lengths on the cables to each ear and to the jack are different - the most significant is that the Hitme version is a good 6-7" longer to the jack (w/out the extension). there are other minor differences on the cable like the connection to the buds. w/out the foam pads, the US version has a thicker rubber ring on the periphery. and looking thru the mesh, i can see the holes are different - larger on the Hitme version - openings are thicker.

those are my appearance comments... moving on to the sound... big big difference.

i first tried the Hitme version (on my PSP w/ Feists 1234 song...
tongue.gif
). sounded ok. then i changed headphones and the US version's sound bloomed like a flower. (note i adjusted the earphones to try to get the best sound due to positioning and made no volume adjustments). i also tried them on in reverse order (on my fubar3 w/ radiohead's idioteque)... and the same terrible results. as soon as i put in the Hitme version, sound lost highs and lows, was much more muddy. um, they do not sound good compared to the US version at all.

just based on the sound, i am certain these are either amadana rejects or counterfeits... i'm guessing the latter.

don't ask for pics b/c i'm lazy
tongue.gif

--
forgot to mention the bag... (if anyone is still reading). the US version is more squarish, and when you squeeze the ends, the lips opens symetrically. the Hitme version is a bit more rectangular in shape, and they used thinner metal in the lips and when i squeeze them, they both go in the same curve direction - probably b/c they're not aligned w/ each other. again, could be just a bad batch, but, i don't see why they went w/ a thinner metal piece inside unless they wanted to go cheaper. of course, the shape of the bag could be just tolerances.

also, the US version came w/ a little blurb about Amadana on rice paper.

--
i do agree that if these are counterfeits, they certainly put a lot of effort into this... why?

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #139 of 143
I'm guessing maybe they started out with a bad batch or actual amadana produced models, (Which might explain the earlier glowing review) and then found a cheaper supplier that was making knock off imitations, either just because they realized they could make more profit, or they built up hype first with the actual models, then started selling counterfeits to run with it as long as they could until they got reported, which it looks like they did.
I'm starting to regret it a little bit. Maybe the cases could be modded for better drivers, though?

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #140 of 143
Just got mine in. They've got a MASSIVE flaw in the bamboo. Sound pretty decent, but I kinda suck at being an audiophile. The hard hooks hurt my ears and I'm trying to think of easy mods to do.

Alot of my metal pieces have scratches, too, already.

The number of cosmetic flaws reported and the variability of the sound makes me wonder if they're being put together by workers under their spare time from authentic, factory rejected parts. Some people, the lucky ones, may be getting half-decent drivers and others are getting ones that weren't even close to standard.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #141 of 143
There's another eBay seller, in Milwaukee, selling these. Those of you who didn't get a chance to buy them and try them out might have a chance. He assures me they're the genuine headphones, but I have my suspicions they may be the same ones. Regardless, he appears to be taking offers, and if you live in milwaukee he may even do local pickup so you can pick yourself up a pair and see what you think.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #142 of 143
meh. they're decent portables that look nice but i'm rocking my at sj5s now for portable. the cord is just slightly too short for daily use anyway because it doesn't come to my pant pocket and the extension is too much. I say just get some yuins

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #143 of 143
What I've noticed is that if you remove the rubber 'gasket', the ... grill thing comes off and the driver's accessible. I've never done this work, but would there be any major obstacles to transplanting a driver from your fave' cheap earbuds into the AmadChinas? And would this be an improvement of sound, do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back