Balancing DAC/Amp volume levels
Aug 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

logicalform

Head-Fier
Hey all,
In the absence of an actual dedicated headphone amp, I've been using a udac2 as an interim solution. I decided to get over my laziness today and hooked it up to my old NAD C350 speaker amp. The sound is definitely improved. There's much more bottom end and fullness all around (har!). My question then is about balancing the volume levels between the udac2 and the amp. Should I ultimately be controlling the volume from the amp or the udac (while leaving the other static)? It seems that the amp, being the endpoint and the better amplifier would be the right choice, but I'd like some confirmation (it would be much easier to just use the knob on the udac, though). Should I just play around with it until I find the magic ratio?

Thanks, peeps. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd use the amp's knob as my main control and find a matched setting to the variable output of the DAC. Have the uDAC at zero and then put the NAD at about 50% to 75%, then slowly turn up the UDAC. Do this first without completely wearing your cans so you don't damage your ears. At the point you hear distortion, stop, then turn down the NAD's volume to your comfortable listening level. If it lacks body, try to turn up the uDAC and pull back the NAD; reverse if there's distortion, particularly in the low frequencies (over-excursion on dynamic drivers, etc).

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I'd use the amp's knob as my main control and find a matched setting to the variable output of the DAC. Have the uDAC at zero and then put the NAD at about 50% to 75%, then slowly turn up the UDAC. Do this first without completely wearing your cans so you don't damage your ears. At the point you hear distortion, stop, then turn down the NAD's volume to your comfortable listening level. If it lacks body, try to turn up the uDAC and pull back the NAD; reverse if there's distortion, particularly in the low frequencies (over-excursion on dynamic drivers, etc).

Thanks a lot! I'll try this as soon as I get home. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 8
If possible I think its preferable to use the DAC at its highest volume without distortion and then use the amp's volume pot to control volume.

I have my D1 with the Direct button engaged so it bypasses the D1's volume pot (meaning LOUD!) and then just using my M-stage at 0 gain to control volume.

If its too loud, then its time to look for the Magic ratio you're comfortable with

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 8
DAC should be line level output, then use the amplifier for volume control. Why anyone would want a DAC with a volume knob is beyond me.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
DAC should be line level output, then use the amplifier for volume control. Why anyone would want a DAC with a volume knob is beyond me.

Completely agree, but it was cheap and I was broke :p It's what I've got to work with atm. Also, using ProtegeManiac's method I hit upon a pretty similar ratio as what I had come up with through playing around (although I personally like the udac slightly lower than what I came up with using his method). Thanks for the input, urrybody! 

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

If you have good gain structure in your system digital volume control pwns analog control. People with good gain structure are few and far between though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back