Balanced XLR Conversion HOWTO Grado GS1000
Aug 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #46 of 56
thanks for the quick reply LES!, gotta love HF diy section, finding info on otherwise niche/un-tread paths via google fu alone is not high yield. the last MS-pro (pink mesh driver) I did I was able to get open with a set of very fine surgical blades and some wiggling; by just running the blade around the groove, the glue was really old so a hairdryer was producing inconsistent results, some was too dried out to properly soften. I just masked off the front of the driver to be safe, but no joy and didnt want to push my luck.

yep it certainly wouldnt be done as a favor, this type of work has a danger money quota. I've done all sorts of high dollar cans with no mishap as yet, so the nerves are pretty good, but all the same … the grados are probably the biggest pita i've done so far, apart from some DX1000 that already had cracked hinges/swivels that I had to crack open and reinforce from the inside, came up good as, possibly stronger than new.

Yeah I saw you had only reterminated your 8 wire cable lol on a 28ohm Grado, why do you think they did that? just in case one wire went there would be backup? it sure doesnt need the current handling. I saw later that you had worked on some friends similar cans with 2 x quad, I hoped being an owner and diyer you would probably know what the deal was.

anyway thanks for the confirmation, welcome back! I havent been spending as much time here lately either, pretty happy with my rig these days and if I feel like a change I build something

cheers
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #47 of 56
Gentlemen, after reading this post, my question is :   Is there a real sonic advantage using the GS1000 ra-wired balanced (of course, with a balanced DAC/AMP) ?  How will you describe the improvement in sound quality ? What aspect of the sound is changed ? 

thanks in advance

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #48 of 56
Typically if you are going from Single ended to balanced, you are doing it for an amp change.

Not all amps are the same, some are better than others, some you may just ike the sound of better, so yes, balanced makes a big difference.   Mainly because of the amp that is being used.

I have not A/B'd Single ended outputs and balanced outputs out of the same amp, even though I could have.  I suspect I would not have heard a difference, if the levels were matched.  But who knows.  Theoretically balanced is better.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #49 of 56
Sorry to bring this old thread back. But, when researching a balanced conversion for my Grado's I found this thread as well as the following schematic:

Clearer view here: http://web.archive.org/web/20131006214002im_/http://www.headphone.com/images/balancedamp.gif
Source: http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

It seems for a proper XLR conversion the balanced cable shield should be floating at the cans.
In my case I will be replacing the Grado cables with a pair of Belden 1800F balanced cable.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #51 of 56
  Hi Mr. Les...
Does the Grado SR80e have enough wires to convert to balanced by re-terminating the stock cable?

Not sure.

Look into the Cans with a bright light and count the wires.

Bring the answer back here

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #53 of 56
  I see Blue and White wires on one side and Blue and Orange wires on the other side.  Looks like one of each, so two wires per side.

Ok,

Not sure how the 80E is cabled, as in how many wires, shield, etc, but there are probably 2 Blue wires, 1 White and 1 Orange with no shield.

Since you are doing this, I assume you can strip and solder, right?

And you are somewhat committed, right?

You got all your parts/tools together?

Do you have a Multimeter?

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #55 of 56
Well, if they can be balanced by re-terminating the stock cable, my next question is would you be interested in doing the conversion, for a fee of course?

Sure, I'll do it for you.

You want 4 pin or Dual 3 pix xlr?

I have some 4 pin Neutrik XLRs I just saw recently while making some XLR Patch cables.

According to this, it has a 4 conductor cable which is good.

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/1-sr80e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back