Balanced XLR Conversion HOWTO Grado GS1000
Mar 10, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #31 of 56
Thanks Les, agreed. There is a certain cable maker that we all know can't solder but I had a feeling his design was screwey as well, and you are not the only one to confirm this. Four shield wires, connected to nothing at all, not even each to other does nothing but make a cable twice as heavy lol.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #32 of 56
Intriguing post Les. I have zero experience with DIY, but have always thought that one day I'd end up doing my own mods (even if just to save hundreds of dollars), and I've always thought it would be fun. Your post certainly confirms my suspicions. I just spent $300 on an adapter & cables to balance my HD25-1 ii's for my RSA Protector & seeing all the parts on-line & their prices compared to what I just paid (for something I now know I can do myself for cost), makes me weep a little on the inside. So I say - thank you again sir, I look forward to my first project (some balanced IEM cables)

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #33 of 56

Quote:
Intriguing post Les. I have zero experience with DIY, but have always thought that one day I'd end up doing my own mods (even if just to save hundreds of dollars), and I've always thought it would be fun. Your post certainly confirms my suspicions. I just spent $300 on an adapter & cables to balance my HD25-1 ii's for my RSA Protector & seeing all the parts on-line & their prices compared to what I just paid (for something I now know I can do myself for cost), makes me weep a little on the inside. So I say - thank you again sir, I look forward to my first project (some balanced IEM cables)

There is a lot of satisfaction from doing it yourself for sure.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #34 of 56
Hi Les, not sure how I've managed to mis this awesome DIY for so long.

How did you "filet" the plug? I want to try to remove the "Y" in my Grado cables and just have simple heat shrink.

Thanks, Mark

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 56
Oh, like you wouldn't believe. LOL, good thing I'm not a 100% Snap-On person, I can't imagine having 100k tied up in my box.

One more thing, 722 or 1022? Really want to pick up a Taco cart, or anything with sprung wheels, sooooo much better than regular casters. Too bad the current KRLs have gaudy chrome casters...

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 56

Quote:
Hey,
   I just used a very sharp utility knife, a firm surface, and took my time.  That "Y" on the Grados is a joke.

Thank You. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #41 of 56
I was going to just remove the "y" but now I think I'm going to strip everything down and braid it... put some thin techflex on it and be done...

I have an idea of heating up an old knife and trying to filet the "Y"

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #43 of 56
Thanks, I'll check into finding some of that.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #44 of 56
Les, sorry for the bump mate, just checking since i've been asked to quote on a gs1000 recable, i've done some of their other woodies including RS series, but never these, are these drivers glued in as well like most others? that was a pita with the last lot I did. some true vintage ones are no worries as the glue is perished so easy to remove, but the idea of hitting gs1000 with a hot air tool, or putting in a plastic bag then dunking in hot water to soften the glue; doesnt excite me … basically trying to get an idea if whether what i'll need to do will require me refinishing the cups. I do wish they used more serviceable fastening methods

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #45 of 56
Quote:
Les, sorry for the bump mate, just checking since i've been asked to quote on a gs1000 recable, i've done some of their other woodies including RS series, but never these, are these drivers glued in as well like most others? that was a pita with the last lot I did. some true vintage ones are no worries as the glue is perished so easy to remove, but the idea of hitting gs1000 with a hot air tool, or putting in a plastic bag then dunking in hot water to soften the glue; doesnt excite me … basically trying to get an idea if whether what i'll need to do will require me refinishing the cups. I do wish they used more serviceable fastening methods

Hi,
   I didn't change the cable on mine, I just reterminated the Grado wire to balanced.  My understanding is that they are glued in.

I "believe" you may be able to work the grills out so you could use a dowel or pencil to push on the driver a little.  Heat with a hair dryer very slowly and you should be ok.  I've never used a water bath.  I did use a heat gun "once" and the wire outer was melted quick.  So I found a hair dryer is better.  Their glue ain't much, fairly low temp.

Most folks recabling GS-1000s charge a bit for the job because they are such a PITA and there is so much risk involved.

I haven't been on Head Fi in a while so no problems with the Bump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back