1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Balanced XDR cable recommendation for HD800 and Isabellina HPA?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by sembiance, Jan 4, 2013.
  1. Sembiance
    Hello

I've been using a pair of HD600 headphones for nearly a decade now. I've always just plugged them directly into the computer or iPod, never used an amp before.

My HD600 headphones are not sound very good anymore, so I figure it's time to upgrade.

I've done some extensive research and have just purchased a pair of HD800 Sennheiser headphones.

Next up was to pick the correct DAC and AMP to go along with them.

After some extensive research on these forums, I settled on the Isabellina HPA. (I have not purchased it yet)

This particular amp has an option for a 4-pin XLR balanced output.

From my research on balanced vs single ended (new to me), it certainly looks like I want to go for the balanced connection.

So now I am in the market for a cable for my HD800's that are compatible (my headphones support a 'balanced' cable right?)

It looks like both the Black Dragon and Silver Dragon cables from Moon Audio have a termination option of 'Neutrik single 4 pin Male Gold XLR' which seems to match the description of the Isabellina HPA 'Neutrik 4-pin XLR output jack'

I am new to amps and balanced XLR, so is this correct?

Would that cable and that DAC/AMP work well with my new HD800 headphones?

Which cable should I get? Silver? Black? A different cable vendor entirely? (I prefer to spend less than $500 on a headphone cable)

I mostly listen to classical music, although I also have some folk and some classic 8-bit video game soundtracks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

2. Sembiance
    TLDR Quick Summary version:

Will a 'balanced' XLR cable produce the best experience with the HD800 headphones driven from an Isabellina HPA DAC/AMP?

If so, which heaphone cable should I purchase? Are the Black or Silver dragon cables from Moon Audio a good choice?