Balanced vs. Unbalanced for K701
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

xFih2

Head-Fier
I have K701s and am considering two HeadRoom amps along with others, but not sure which of the two HeadRoom amps I should narrow it down to (which, truthfully, I'll probably go for the HeadRoom one out of the others).

1) HeadRoom Desktop w/ Max Module + Max DAC + re-cabled K701s + DPS

2) HeadRoom Balanced Desktop w/ Home Module + Home DAC + re-cabled K701s + DPS

I'll be running my music from my laptop via USB.

Basically, will the Balanced Desktop sound better than the regular Desktop even though the regular one has the better Max module and Max DAC, keeping in mind my audio sources? My audio ranges anywhere from 128kbps MP3 to 1000+kbps FLAC files. The most important music to me that I have is of high quality.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Max'd out Desktop, mainly because of the audio source I use.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 32
Yea you're in exactly the same spot as me, except I don't have K701's yet!
(I might buy them soon though, if I don't find something I like more)

To answer your question:

A) Don't use the USB
both those amps have DACs which will support optical digital inputs. (ie if you have a MacBook or some other laptop with combo outputs, you can use the toslink to 1/8" adapters with a toslink cable) I'm under the impression from most testimonials that this is superior to USB, and it is the option I plan to pursue when I make my next purchase.

B) In the interest of maximizing some of your lower bitrate source files, it sounds like you're on the right track going with the upsampling glory of the max DAC (just keep in mind you'll need to upgrade your power supply to the DPS for $400 more).
The balanced option is, however, a very strong option, and comparable. HeadRoom offers the K701 as part of a desktop balanced package for a reason. This I understand is mainly because their ears tell them the K701 benefits well from balanced cabling.

But I haven't tried any of this...so take my response with a grain of salt.

Hopefully Jorge will respond...he's pretty good at clearing these questions up.

Good luck and please post to let me know how this goes so I can keep it in mind when I finally make my purchase.

M

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 32
Ok if you do use USB the balanced will probably sound better than the Maxxed out one. Most equipment upgrades are relatively incremental including yes....even the Max module amps. Supposedly the Ultra Micro is about 85-90% of the Max amp at a fraction of the cost. Balanced drive is really the only thing that will MAJORLY change the sound of your headphones. It makes everything more vivid. Something that is physically impossible with single ended setups. Note I've only had about two hours experience with a balanced setup, as I've never personally owned one but it was with HD650's which I've heard in a single ended setup too and the difference was amazing.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 32
This title could apply to my mental state as I try to figure out whether a better quality unbalanced system would outperform a (I dont know how much) lesser quality balanced system, the desktop maxed out vs the desktop balanced with the home modules. Problem is I've never heard either of these and it seems unlikely I will before I buy. Since I have no access to them, I do as I have with stereo equipment purchases -- rely heavily on reviews.

The headfi thing, the headfi community is brand new, even tho I've been listening to headphones for years. I have a mapletree audio ear plus tube amp that's several years old, upgraded a couple of years ago, and Senn 600s. I have used it a lot and I like it, but I dont think it's the last word.

As I listen more and more to headphones, I want more... I have read reviews of balanced amps, promising better bass, better imaging, better dynamics....but, hey, wouldn't I get that with the maxed out desktop? And here's the nag...might it not possibly sound even better than the balanced setup?

(BTW... I know nobody can offer definitive answers.. the best advice is "go listen"... if that were possible. But even so, I like to hear opinions...)

I am leaning toward either the maxed-out desktop package with AKG 701s or the desktop balanced with the same phones. ( I also want to try different phones.)

Another option is to buy the desktop balanced without a dac, since the amplifier itself converts an unbalanced signal to a balanced output, and feed it with my present Audio note dac. Or perhaps buy the ultra micro dac which is very close to the max dac. (Again it's unbalanced but the amp splits the signal).

Well, thanks for listening, and, moreso, thanks for writing...

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 32
Unbalanced, but recabled, the K701s are way superior to stock. I think it's a waste to go balanced unless the amp you want to use really demands it; otherwise, it's not worth the pain and effort, unless you plan to use a cord much longer than 10-15', IMHO.

In summary, if your amp is optimized for balanced, then get the headphones balanced; otherwise, stick with unbalanced but DO seriously consider a cable upgrade for the 701s.

Dave

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This title could apply to my mental state as I try to figure out whether a better quality unbalanced system would outperform a (I dont know how much) lesser quality balanced system, the desktop maxed out vs the desktop balanced with the home modules. Problem is I've never heard either of these and it seems unlikely I will before I buy. Since I have no access to them, I do as I have with stereo equipment purchases -- rely heavily on reviews.

The headfi thing, the headfi community is brand new, even tho I've been listening to headphones for years. I have a mapletree audio ear plus tube amp that's several years old, upgraded a couple of years ago, and Senn 600s. I have used it a lot and I like it, but I dont think it's the last word.

As I listen more and more to headphones, I want more... I have read reviews of balanced amps, promising better bass, better imaging, better dynamics....but, hey, wouldn't I get that with the maxed out desktop? And here's the nag...might it not possibly sound even better than the balanced setup?

(BTW... I know nobody can offer definitive answers.. the best advice is "go listen"... if that were possible. But even so, I like to hear opinions...)

I am leaning toward either the maxed-out desktop package with AKG 701s or the desktop balanced with the same phones. ( I also want to try different phones.)

Another option is to buy the desktop balanced without a dac, since the amplifier itself converts an unbalanced signal to a balanced output, and feed it with my present Audio note dac. Or perhaps buy the ultra micro dac which is very close to the max dac. (Again it's unbalanced but the amp splits the signal).

Well, thanks for listening, and, moreso, thanks for writing...

Hello Dick,

Hey, First Poster! Head-Fi SEZ: Sorry About Your Wallet
rolleyes.gif

Me, myself -- i'll state that personally balanced-drive headphone rigs are the way to go for moi .... imho the little HR Balanced Desktop which will take any audio signal you input (digital and/or analog) and will output superb SQ to your balanced XLR-cabled headphones, remains a fantastic sounding amp/DAC unit in a very small size at a reasonable audio bang-for-the-buck investment (... take a look at my avatar, HR Bal Desktop w/DPS underneath!
cool.gif
)...

i actually do prefer the Balanced Desktop ever-ever-so-slightly to the single-ended 'Maxed'-out HR Desktop Amp but, hey, that's just me; Folks wanting the killer up-sampling stage of the Max DAC may likely disagree. Of course, everyones' really gotta' listen for themselves --which is what our standard "no-questions-asked" 30-day HeadRoom return policy is all about! .... OK, I'll stop now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought of that very option, but for some reason I read on the website that the DAC converts the signal to balanced, but after re-reading it, I think you might be right in that the amp itself does that.

Can anyone confirm this?

And I'm assuming the answer is "yes", but will an Ultra Micro Amp -> Balanced Desktop be the best option compared to the other two, especially with low to mainly mid and high quality mp3 files? I like the idea that the DAC and amp are separate in case I want to upgrade either one later.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 32
Some days ago, I emailed customer service this question:

At what point (in the balanced desktop) does the phase splitting occur. In the amp or the dac? If I am using an unbalanced analog source or the unbalanced analog outputs of another dac, and purchase the amp without the dac, can I still hear a balanced presentation using balanced headphones?

Jorge's response was:

Only the Balanced Desktop unit allows for auto-conversion to balanced-drive sound from ANY source from digital input or analog input [my italics]. Our big Home Balanced and Max Balanced units do not yet offer that 'automatic' balanced-conversion and must use true analog balanced-XLR interconnects for balanced sound.

I believe it says that specifically in a "Note" in the "How to connect your balanced desktop" section of the balanced desktop manual on the Headroom website. (I think I need a different version of Adobe PDF to extract the actual passage).

I agree that the possibility of adding an upsampling dac or source, balanced or unbalanced later is attractive (as is, on the other hand, the convenience of an all-in-one unit).

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 32
I hope this helps with your decision and I apologize in advance to your wallet.

After hearing virtually every combination possible in the HeadRoom line up except for new secret stuff, I have my favorite bit o' kit picked out. If I were given a choice of any combination of gear for free, without a doubt it would be the Pimped Out Desktop Balanced powered with a DPS. And at the risk of sounding greedy, both the HD650 and K701 with single ended converter adapters would be included. That's the package I would want. Oh, and some speakers, power amps, and stands too.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this helps with your decision and I apologize in advance to your wallet.

After hearing virtually every combination possible in the HeadRoom line up except for new secret stuff, I have my favorite bit o' kit picked out. If I were given a choice of any combination of gear for free, without a doubt it would be the Pimped Out Desktop Balanced powered with a DPS. And at the risk of sounding greedy, both the HD650 and K701 with single ended converter adapters would be included. That's the package I would want. Oh, and some speakers, power amps, and stands too.
biggrin.gif

Any info on when this new secret stuff is going to emerge? I heard new things April...so this month...but don't know what. O.o

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any info on when this new secret stuff is going to emerge? I heard new things April...so this month...but don't know what. O.o

I haven't worked at HeadRoom in over six months so I don't know what secrets are up their sleeves right now. I do know that Tyll usually has some sort of surprise he's trying to cook up. Can Jam would be my guess for any type of announcement but the Audiophile Desktop seems like enough to keep any company busy for a while.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

as far as I know all they are releasing this month is the speaker stands and the speaker amps. there has been mention of a SE Desktop upgrade but Tyll said it was a good ways off. also I have heard mentioned is an amp smaller than the Micro Portable. if it's to replace the Bithead or to be between it and the Micro Portable I am not sure. anything else I have not heard about. I myself am anxious to see what all is to be released this year. hopefully they will announce soon what all is gonna be released this month. me is surprised they have not done so already.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as far as I know all they are releasing this month is the speaker stands and the speaker amps. there has been mention of a SE Desktop upgrade but Tyll said it was a good ways off. also I have heard mentioned is an amp smaller than the Micro Portable. if it's to replace the Bithead or to be between it and the Micro Portable I am not sure. anything else I have not heard about. I myself am anxious to see what all is to be released this year. hopefully they will announce soon what all is gonna be released this month. me is surprised they have not done so already.

We're all about the new HeadRoom Desktop Audiophile stuff [speakers/stands/HR power amps, etc] for most of the rest of this calendar year -- likely!
cool.gif
... I would not expect any brand-new uber-secret HeadRoom goodies until late '08, perhaps early next year even!

... the wheels of progress move slowly...
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't worked at HeadRoom in over six months so I don't know what secrets are up their sleeves right now. I do know that Tyll usually has some sort of surprise he's trying to cook up. Can Jam would be my guess for any type of announcement but the Audiophile Desktop seems like enough to keep any company busy for a while.

YAAY, Jamey!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 32
Any insight to Ultra Micro DAC -> Balanced Desktop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back