Balanced TRS to Stereo RCA
Sep 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

java

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
747
Likes
11
Hi,

My search for the correct way to wire a balanced TRS to Stereo RCA cable has not produced anything that I trust, so I am here.
smily_headphones1.gif


I have just bought a M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card, and need to connect it to my Yamamoto HA-02 headphone amp.

The M-Audio 192 has balanced TRS outputs, and my Yamamoto has RCA inputs.

I have the wire and plugs, but don't know how to wire them for best safe sound and functioning.

Regards,

Russell
 
Sep 11, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 12

java

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
747
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no "best sound", there is the correct way and it's simple.
TRS Ground -> RCA Ground
TRS Tip -> RCA Signal



What about the ring, this also has audio signal, or shall I just leave it "un-connected"?

Thanks,

Russell
 
Sep 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 12

java

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
747
Likes
11
So I can safely ignore the ring - wire just the tip and ground, and be fine if I understand you correctly ...

Many thanks,

Russell
 
Sep 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 12

Zaubertuba

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Posts
449
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can safely ignore the ring - wire just the tip and ground, and be fine if I understand you correctly ...

Many thanks,

Russell



I'm not positive on the M-Audio card, but when I need to go to unbalanced RCA inputs from my E-MU 1212m 1/4" balanced outs, a standard TS to RCA adapter works--so that's actually shorting ring (-) to sleeve (ground).

EDIT: Seems I remember a while ago, we wouldn't dream of trying this without an impedance-matching transformer, but that was working with XLR-TS connections. More modern gear (e.g. The ubiquitous Mackie portable consoles and their ilk) seem to handle 1/4" either TRS-->balanced *or* TS-->unbalanced just fine.
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 12

java

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
747
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not positive on the M-Audio card, but when I need to go to unbalanced RCA inputs from my E-MU 1212m 1/4" balanced outs, a standard TS to RCA adapter works--so that's actually shorting ring (-) to sleeve (ground).



Understood, but then you are feeding the ring signal to the unbalanced equipments earth, and that "contaminates the earth, surely ... ?

Quote:


EDIT: Seems I remember a while ago, we wouldn't dream of trying this without an impedance-matching transformer, but that was working with XLR-TS connections. More modern gear (e.g. The ubiquitous Mackie portable consoles and their ilk) seem to handle 1/4" either TRS-->balanced *or* TS-->unbalanced just fine.


On the other hand, can the 192, handle having the ring left "floating" i.e. not connected to anything, is my "niggle"
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 12

guzzler

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 17, 2003
Posts
1,851
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, can the 192, handle having the ring left "floating" i.e. not connected to anything, is my "niggle"


It would much rather be floating than shorted to ground as someone suggested above. FallenAngel's fix is the best.
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 12

java

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
747
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would much rather be floating than shorted to ground as someone suggested above. FallenAngel's fix is the best.


Thanks, will do that ...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top