Balanced Phono preamp
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yiancar

Head-Fier
I have just started thinking of upgrading my bijou single ended amp into a balanced one, however one of my main sources in my turntable. Do you guys know any balanced phono DIY amp? I like to build thinks myself so i can understand how they work. Both tube and solid ideas are welcome :)

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 15
If I recall, the Nelson Pass Ono had balanced outputs. There are usually clones of his gear kicking around the Pass forums. I can't point to a thread there, but it'd be worth digging around there to see if someone built a clone and might have boards available.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey guys tnx for the replies. After a bit of research, I decided in a more solid design, a QSX3 http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=27  . However will doubling up everything make the amp balanced capable or just create too much noise? Need your experience :)

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Just build it single ended. There is a fair bit more to building a balanced phono stage that putting 4 channels together with some creative wiring.

If you need to drive balanced inputs in whatever amp comes next use a phase splitter. Active and passive solutions are both reasonably affordable. Better would be to design a phase splitter into the balanced amp and drive the single ended input without extra stuff in the signal path, but "extra stuff in the signal path" phase splitters arent relly that bad.

If you are going to use a phase splitter the phono stage you linked to is either awesome or a waste of time :) It is great because that output stage should be able to drive relatively low impedance transformers very cleanly. If you use an active phase splitter its probably a waste as they generally have very high input impedances.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Just build it single ended. There is a fair bit more to building a balanced phono stage that putting 4 channels together with some creative wiring.

In general I'd agree with this. It really depends on what the motivation is. I still want to build a balanced pre-amp, but here's why. A big reason is because a cart creates a balanced signal naturally, so it kinda makes sense to build a balanced amp for a balanced source signal. The other, more compelling reason is that I have more than one turntable, and my second table can't be next to the rest of my equipment. If I set that system up as balanced, then I solve the issue of lengthy interconnects. One day I'm going to do this, just not today....

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 15

Oh not a transformer again, am crappy with em:frowning2: can you please explain how they can be wired up to give me the balanced signal?
Quote:
In general I'd agree with this. It really depends on what the motivation is. I still want to build a balanced pre-amp, but here's why. A big reason is because a cart creates a balanced signal naturally, so it kinda makes sense to build a balanced amp for a balanced source signal. The other, more compelling reason is that I have more than one turntable, and my second table can't be next to the rest of my equipment. If I set that system up as balanced, then I solve the issue of lengthy interconnects. One day I'm going to do this, just not today....

Well that's what I also thought , but I currently don't have the funds the experiment that much :)

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Oh not a transformer again, am crappy with em:frowning2: can you please explain how they can be wired up to give me the balanced signal?

Well that's what I also thought , but I currently don't have the funds the experiment that much :)

Lets say the primary is set up for whatever. Input a SE signal from one end to the other.

The secondary gets 2 options. 

The first is for a single pair of outputs. you take 1/2*whatever the secondary load is (from the datasheet, name{10K:600}, or test) and strap this across the secondary. The center of these 2 resistors goes to ground. This will output a balanced signal. The 2 load resistors need to be matched pretty precisely, but the winder dosnt have to make the center tap exactly right.

The second option is with a transformer with a split secondary. The center tap of the transformer goes to ground, and the 2 ends go to the load. You still need a loading resistor here, but it dosnt have to be matched like the other option.

six of one, half a dozen of the other. Different vendors have their own preferences.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 15
I think ive got it :) The designer of the phono amp recommended the following manufacturer http://www.lundahl.se/mic_inp.html , as sagestes the lowest impedance transformer will be use ( the 200ohm to 200 ohm one) now as i can see from the datasheet, the parallel parallel config sould be user right ?

Pdf : http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/datash/1527_7xl.pdf

Tnx for all the help nikongod :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back