Balanced phones (and source): really worth it?
Feb 5, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting observations regarding the 340 being balanced. I remember back when I was driving them with Dual Darkvoice they turned into the unimaginable beast of muscle and finesse that was leap of improvement from SE...

we are talking about the darkvoice against the DAC1.. I would expect a good increase with dual Darkvoices.. DAC1 can't drive the 340's SE or balanced worth a crap..But better then I thought.. I had very low expections though..

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 25
Thank You all folks! I decided, to do have the option to go balanced.

I tell You now, I plan in DIY, but I needed to know what to invest.

The dac I chose will have balanced output too, but I will use it single ended for now (or when I finish it
smily_headphones1.gif
), for the amp I will leave the option, to use the all balanced structure when I get some very good headphones and some spending money to upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnjee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But,
Balanced seems to be much expensive

It is more expensivce then SE, but the advantages for most headphones are quite large. My HD600 are unbelievably better know that they are balanced (balanced source and amp). It is also worth noting I found once you go balanced and/or go to higher quality amps SE as well, the interconnects atrt bioeng more and more noticable. Just soemthing to keep in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 25
It's not more expensive. It's just a different solution.

You can get single ended that's more expensive than differential, and vice versa. The trick is just to find a solution that works for you at hte price you have to spend.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 25
You know how they call the Sennheiser HE90 electrostatics the "Orpheus" and the HE60 the "Baby Orpheus"?

Well I have the HE60 which is great, and when I compare my balanced HD600 to the HE60 I can honestly call my HD600 the "Fetus Orpheus". You can tell they were made by the same company.

Seriously, it's an improvement
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know how they call the Sennheiser HE90 electrostatics the "Orpheus" and the HE60 the "Baby Orpheus"?

Well I have the HE60 which is great, and when I compare my balanced HD600 to the HE60 I can honestly call my HD600 the "Fetus Orpheus". You can tell they were made by the same company.

Seriously, it's an improvement
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
, never though of calling the HD600 a fetus orpheus. I just don't think putting that on the side of the headphones would increase sales for some reason. Though I am jelous of you're HE60 (though I'm interested to see how the orpheus line compare to the HD800 [or vice versa]).

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif
, never though of calling the HD600 a fetus orpheus. I just don't think putting that on the side of the headphones would increase sales for some reason. Though I am jelous of you're HE60 (though I'm interested to see how the orpheus line compare to the HD800 [or vice versa]).

Yep, I get full credit for coining the phrase as it becomes more popular over time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Fetus Orpheus"

hahaha wut!

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnjee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But,
Balanced seems to be much expensive

It can be, and so can unbalanced (single ended).
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back