Balanced Headphones
Apr 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously, try good ones and avoid bad ones.

Seriously tho, being balanced or not is just a design choice. I've heard outstanding single ended, transformer balanced, and internally balanced amps. Eddie Current, Pete Millett, HeadRoom, HeadAmp, and various DIYers have all made balanced output amps that were outstanding in my experience. None of them were what I'd call budget amps. Similar statements can be made about single ended amps.

Obviously, there are good ones and bad ones ...

Also I have a very good single ended amp, a Yamamoto HA-02, and I am considering balanced, as an option.

Obviously, at least to myself, whatever you buy, "You only get what you pay for, nothing more, nor less"

Obviously there are people who have had the opportunity to listen to more than a few balanced amps, and just as obviously they have opinions and preferences. It is these that I am interested in.

Many thanks,

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 25
For balanced amps currently available, the TTVJ Millett 307a, the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop (despite their use of 2 xlr instead of a 4pin), the RockHopper balanced B22 (I haven't heard anyone else's builds), and the TooleAudio balanced M^3 (which was a one off, and to my knowledge isn't for sale) are all very very good, and I've heard them.

I've heard equally good reports for the Headroom Balanced Ultra Desktop, and the various Eddie Current balanced amps, and would be on my short list of "must try" if I was in the market for a dynamic balanced amp these days.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For balanced amps currently available, the TTVJ Millett 307a, the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop (despite their use of 2 xlr instead of a 4pin), the RockHopper balanced B22 (I haven't heard anyone else's builds), and the TooleAudio balanced M^3 (which was a one off, and to my knowledge isn't for sale) are all very very good, and I've heard them.

I've heard equally good reports for the Headroom Balanced Ultra Desktop, and the various Eddie Current balanced amps, and would be on my short list of "must try" if I was in the market for a dynamic balanced amp these days.

Thanks, I will check these out ...

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 25
Just looked at Eddie Currents web page the ZDT is a great looking amp, and it drives speakers, albeit only 8 watts, pity, as my Paradigm Studio 20's really need 50 or more watts ...

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 25
With the right speakers they could handle a decent sized room, just not with Paradigm Studio 20's

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 25
Nice paradigm speakers java I have the mini monitors. One day when the cash is available I will step up into the refrence class speakers. As for the amp I am using it is a balanced CKKIII sold to be by cantsleep and built by FallenAngel. I have to say it sounds quite amazing and my hat is of to cantsleep for the great sale price of the amp and FallenAngel for building this amp.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by slypher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice paradigm speakers java I have the mini monitors. One day when the cash is available I will step up into the refrence class speakers. As for the amp I am using it is a balanced CKKIII sold to be by cantsleep and built by FallenAngel. I have to say it sounds quite amazing and my hat is of to cantsleep for the great sale price of the amp and FallenAngel for building this amp.

They are very nice, but, in hindsight, I'd maybe been better off getting the Studio 40's instead, for just that "little" extra bass ...

Not familiar with your amp, but I have two "temptations" firstly buy myself a pair of HD800's or buy myself a balanced amp ... , at this stage, I don't know which will "win" ...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #25 of 25
After purchasing Fiio X7 + AM3 I successfully changed UE TripleFi 10 (Fiio cable) and Shure SE535 (Fidue A83 replacement cable) and manually modded AKG K400 and AKG K500.

Results:
K400: Massive improvment. Now detailed enough for serious classical listeners. Before it had to be the a little bit more boring but detailed sounding K500.
K500: Good Improvement, but not as strong as K400
Shure SE535: Big improvement
TripleFi 10: Massive improvement

The improvement ist always the same. More claritiy. More resolution.

Since I own two X7 and several copies of all the headphones listed (except SE535) there was an easy A:B comparision. No question, that the differences are real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back