Balanced headphones under 400?
Apr 4, 2014 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RMac

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for modestly priced balanced headphones to pair with ALO's The Island balanced output.  (http://www.aloaudio.com/the-island)

I know the Alpha Dogs have the option to become balanced, and as I look on the website, I see that you can buy "Mad Dog Pros" balanced--both out of my price range.

I've owned the HE-400's before.  Do you only need to buy a balanced cable for them to become "balanced"?  I'm thinking $300 for headphones + $100 for a cable to make them balanced is about as high as I'd want to go.  I don't want to have to do any DIY/soldering to make any headphones balanced, just to buy them balanced or do a quick cable swap.

Open vs. closed, isolation, comfort... I'm not too picky on any of this.  All I want is a fun sound with clarity, separation and soundstage, but I'll take all the options I can get at my price point and then make a decision that way.  Genres.. we'll go with any popular genre from the 60's on to today.
Thanks.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 6
I would like to say these cables have to have the ALO connector termination.  Just found out about this.  I'm glad I didn't try to buy any swingin' 4-pin cable.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 6
As long as the cable on the headphones has 4 wires and is easily removable, it will be relatively straight-forward to get an alternative cable for it that has the correct connector. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 6

I've owned the HE-400's before.  Do you only need to buy a balanced cable for them to become "balanced"?  

Yes, you just need to replace the stock cable to make HE-400s balanced. This is true for any headphone with a detachable cable and four separate connections going into the headphone. HE-400 has two on each side (+ and - on the SMC connector). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back