Balanced HD800 cable - looking for solutions
May 28, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #91 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. The other is maybe order a spare HD800 sennheiser cable that you can splice and still be able to return the HD800.

Just keep in mind that the spare HD800 cable is not less than 230$.

May 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the standard Equinox in a balanced configuration? Wouldn't that be the one to try first since its ready to go and they have a nice return policy?

Stefan AudioArt Home

Seems those aren't coming out till June. I think anybody wanting an aftermarket cable for the 800's is probably going to have to wait.

May 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #93 of 105
"[size=medium]t[/size][size=medium]he Equinox [/size] HD800 Noir is a balanced all black finished version (black sheathing from the amplifier connector then black cable from the split to the headphone connection) of the Equinox audiophile headphone cable designed to deliver important sonic characteristics the Sennheiser HD800 stock cable fails to allow."

"
Construction: 4-conductorquad-braid field geometry cable consisting of linear induced isolation constructed ultra pure copper enclosed with a Teflon/Oxygen dielectric finished in minimum absorption Techflex "

Hmmm....

The Sennheiser stock cable

Is 4 wire, teflon coated, Silver Plated Copper finished with a nice nylon sleeving.

Hmm SAA Cables, the difference is in the voodoo. SAA has specially configured Voodoo from the best priests of Haiti and West Africa. This voodoo will deliver sonic characteristics that the stock cable cannot.

Man I hate SAA. Yeah I poke fun at Grado, but I don't hate them, it's just fun. I don't question Grado's quality in sound and their headphones. But SAA, they are despicable.

May 29, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #96 of 105
Haha! Nice. Finally, they made almost same.

HD650 stock vs Equinox is a big step up because the stock one is very cheap.

HD800 claim they have already a good cable quality. If their cable is good, change for another one "better" will not be as clear.

I am sure we will be able to buy a simple adaptor to use our HD650 cable on HD800

May 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure we will be able to buy a simple adaptor to use our HD650 cable on HD800

I don't think it'll be that easy. There isn't anywhere where you can obtain female HD650 connectors.

May 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #98 of 105
I just heard back from Drew from Moon Audio and he's waiting to hear about the lead time on the connectors. I'm guessing we're still a ways out if he doesn't even know the lead time yet.

May 31, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #99 of 105
Yeah, I know that Gamerphile built a cable but I think he special ordered the connectors a long time ago (even before the professionals, lol).

As the stock cable is very good and a lot of pro cables are silver-copper ("ultra pure" but not continuous cast) it's hard to say what cables will be worthy of the HD800s if the materials are the same quality, I think going balanced will be the major upgrade. I wonder if pure copper would balance the sound out a bit in the direction of what people think is missing; it beats me why Sennheiser would not obtain some continuous cast copper, I guess they want to keep cable makers in business.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #102 of 105
Anyone tried a pair of balanced cable with the HD 800 yet?
Deluxe after market version of course.

Thanks

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #103 of 105
hi, in the site of APureSound is presented the cable for hd-800 and the connectors for diy cables
aldo

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #104 of 105
I just received from Moon Audio an upgrade of a Silver Dragon V2 that I previously owned. Drew put the HD 800 connectors on and replaced the Neutrik XLRs with Furutech FP 601s. I will do more comparisons with the stock cable later, but it took only one listen to notice that instruments are more clear and the spatial relationships/soundstage are in better focus.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #105 of 105
A year and a half ago this thread died without notice.  I don't have HD 800s, though some day I hope to have them to replace the 580s I bought something like 16 years ago (...wow, must be time for a new set) and I am curious about this.  Any luck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back