Balanced HD800 cable - looking for solutions
Feb 7, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the situation?

people wait 2 years for an amp to be built. one can wait a few weeks for a balanced cable to come out. no? of course, i would prefer to listen to my HD800 balanced on day 1, but i'm sure the headphone will keep me amused until balanced options become available.

Nobody is arguing that point. His problem is that the only amp he owns (or cares to own) is balanced only. He doesn't want to have a $1,400 pair of headphones sitting around gathering dust while he waits for Sennheiser to decide whether they will offer:

a) stock single ended HD800 replacement cables for sale, or

b) balanced HD800 cables for sale.

Without either of those options available from Day One (or even an announcement from Sennheiser as to whether either of those options will ever materialize), he either has to:

a) reterminate his HD800 with XLR connections, thereby voiding his warranty and foregoing his 30 day right of return option, or

b) wait indefinitely to see whether Sennheiser will ever come up with a solution.

Note that there really isn't an option c) wait a couple of weeks until a cable mod guy comes up with a balanced solution (as you seem to be implying). Why? Because it appears that the connectors Sennheiser is using are proprietary and there is no information at this point as to where/how to acquire of a pair of those. Thus, anyone wanting to go balanced has to sacrifice their stock cable, unless and until they can figure out how to get their hands on a pair of the HD800 connectors.

In his case, he's already decided that he'll do the surgery right away, but isn't entirely comfortable with that option. He may not like the HD800 as much as he thinks he will, and will not be able to return them. He could, of course, sell them in the used market as a modified/balanced pair, but by doing so, he may take a hit price-wise.

No big deal, he understands "the situation" and will proceed accordingly. But he wonders how others who may be similarly situated are planning to proceed and to what extent they see this as an issue worth discussing. Fair enough. I don't think this thread is intended to be anything more than that; as the title says, "Looking for solutions", not "Looking for people to tell me it's a non issue to me simply because it's a non issue to them."

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #77 of 105
This may be a silly question but has anyone actually tried to use a HD6XX cable on the HD800?

From one of Jude's photos of the HD800 plug/socket (posted on the other thread) it looks as though the pins are about the same width apart ~4mm for both HD800 and HD6XX.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It may look a bit unsightly but it could be a possible interim solution whilst the cable makers get their products ready.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #78 of 105
One might not be able to return a reterminated pair of HD800s but I am sure they would sell on the forums pretty darn quickly
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #80 of 105
Looking at the spacing in these great photos under magnification, the current pin spacing is 4 mm and the HD800 spacing is 3 mm. Looks like a no go to me.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #84 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of worrying about the cable, I would seriously consider buying a new amp to compliment the HD800
smile.gif

Really unneeded workaround if he/she already own a great balanced amplifier.
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #85 of 105
This is something that should have been considered before buying right? Use an adapter until a cable is available or until you are comfortable re-terminating the stock cable. What else is there?

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #86 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I don't understand, and leads me to believe that SAA is a snake oil company. I mean every headphone has its own unique sound signature, and it seems by reading on head-fi that cables also have their own sound signature as well. If that is true, then no cable can be universally applied to every headphone and expect all positive changes, right?

So if he wasn't able to sit down and listen to a headphone that isn't out yet and be able to design a cable around its own specific needs, then it seems like SAA just threw something together to sell to unexpected audiophiles.

I have my doubts about this. Companies like SAA are very small companies, whose reputation are very tightly tied with places like head-fi. I think most ppl get aware of them because of places like this, and their business strongly depends from users opinions around.
Now, imagine what would happen if this 1400$ cable should prove to be a gimmick to "steal" money from unexpected audiophiles. Yeah, maybe they would sell some at the begin, but they would seriously compromise their reputation. I think they can't allow themselves to do this and so far they never did. Anyways, I think their homepage already gives a good hint on the user base this cable is meant for: high-end, properly setup systems.

May 25, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #87 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am told via an email, that Stafanart will also have the 'regular' balanced cable available at $495 - again, not an option terribly appealing, but not as ridiculous as the $1400. Stefan was able to voice his cable because he is a former Sennheiser employee who was given prototype products along the way just so he could develop cable, arguably helping Senn with their own cable design, so, he knows full well how it sounds - and had to agree to a NDA to do so - which seems a bit fortuitous to hide behind that now, keeping his competition from offering product as quickly as he can.

I'm wondering if Stefanart's cable is still even viable as the sound signature must have changed with the change in the earpad material.

May 27, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #88 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use an adapter until a cable is available or until you are comfortable re-terminating the stock cable. What else is there?

ditto....and given OP's application I can't understand why s/he doesn't have one already

May 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #89 of 105
Agreed, really doesn't seem to be any other choice until Cardas or someone figures out how to replicate that connector. The other is maybe order a spare HD800 sennheiser cable that you can splice and still be able to return the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back