Balanced HD 650's Are Amazing
Feb 10, 2008 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Dreadhead

500+ Head-Fier
*edited to clarify DAC*

Well I've got about a week into my HD 650's and all I can say is wow
biggrin.gif
. I'm driving them balanced (HR stock cable, no I am not "upgrading" to a Zu) from the outputs on a Benchmark DAC1 USB and I'm truly impressed.

I've heard B&W Nautilius 801 Speakers being driven by an amp worth more than my car and to be honest they didn't have the fidelity to my ear. The same with a Reference (over $130000) LINN setup. Listening to my Shure SE530's is pretty painful if I switch to them right away after the 650's they just don't give the space or fidelity the HD650's do. Also running the HD 650's in SE makes them less airy up high and the bass seems less forceful to my ears.

I also did a couple frequency sweeps and to my ear these phones are as flat as a pancake in frequency response between 50 and 14000 Hz (I can't hear over 15500 with any consistency if I don't crank the volume).

I really have to wonder if the Orpheus or other systems are really worth it or if it's the effect of spending all that money talking. I know that the more expensive the wire gets the better it sounds
smily_headphones1.gif
My favorite story in that line is that for years Stereophile had Radioshack 12 gauge copper wire as a class A component along with $1000 a foot wires (I don't know if they still do).

I can't wait until my GS-X arrives and I'm set with my reference system for life and for under $4000.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad I came to Head-Fi though, I would have ended up with a Headroom Home Max (not a bad thing but not my thing) and you guys and gals really helped me make up my mind.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
. I'm driving them balanced (HR stock cable, no I am not "upgrading" to a Zu) from the outputs on a DAC1 and I'm truly impressed.

I've heard B&W Nautilius 801 Speakers being driven by an amp worth more than my car and to be honest they didn't have the fidelity to my ear. The same with a Reference (over $130000) LINN setup. Listening to my Shure SE530's is pretty painful if I switch to them right away after the 650's they just don't give the space or fidelity the HD650's do. Also running the HD 650's in SE makes them less airy up high and the bass seems less forceful to my ears.

I also did a couple frequency sweeps and to my ear these phones are as flat as a pancake in frequency response between 50 and 14000 Hz (I can't hear over 15500 with any consistency if I don't crank the volume).

I really have to wonder if the Orpheus or other systems are really worth it or if it's the effect of spending all that money talking. I know that the more expensive the wire gets the better it sounds
smily_headphones1.gif
My favorite story in that line is that for years Stereophile had Radioshack 12 gauge copper wire as a class A component along with $1000 a foot wires (I don't know if they still do).

I can't wait until my GS-X arrives and I'm set with my reference system for life and for under $4000.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad I came to Head-Fi though, I would have ended up with a Headroom Home Max (not a bad thing but not my thing) and you guys and gals really helped me make up my mind.
biggrin.gif

& the DAC1 XRL weren't even made for headphones
biggrin.gif
Too bad Elias from Benchmark contends that using the 650's through the XRL outs will degrade the SQ, & using the headphone amp SE will provide better sound..
rolleyes.gif
I'm using the Alex mod.. Totally defoamed.. Theres a noticeable increase in detail, sound stage, & tighter bass.. & they sound brighter.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 80
I'm in the same club now. Have had the 650's built. Have the balanced Dac, ready to feed the new Apache when it arrives. Cables are purchased and are waiting. I have a buddy that does home spun printing. And he asked me the other day. "What is this gap that you left in your equipment rack". I told him it was reserved for the Apache. He made a RSVP card that I have in that spot now. I says "RSVP RSA APACHE". He thinks I'm NUTS. I know I'm NUTS.
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 80
Yeah I know that I'm supposed to drive using the Benchmark DAC1 USB in SE but my ears tell me a different story. The HD 650's are 300 ohm which isn't quite the several thousand that the outputs are designed for but I'm guessing that it's not that terrible. I also have some radioshack XLR female-female converters to hook it up which are adding some more resistance
wink.gif

The extra power and better high load opamp are probably outdoing the impedence problems that's my guess.

One odd thing is that I have to use ASIO4ALL to get the audio not to drop out every once and a while (very annoying when it happens). I think the built in Benchmark buffering just can't deal with Foobar 2k running files off a network hard drive for some reason.

Once I get my GS-X I will no longer worry about such things.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 80
I eagerly await the day I go balanced as well. I'm saving for either gs-x or apache and a marantz sa11............it'll be a while hehe.

Post impressions once you get the gsx, and enjoy listening to your music collection all over again.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced HD650 would go well with GS-X ?

Yes. When I had my hd650/equinox with the gs-x the soundstage improved so much, bass became tighter and very defined. In fact, the soundstage reminded me of the akg701. Now i wished i've tried the akg701 balanced with the gs-x.....oh well. But in any case, the gs-x really brings the best out of the senn hd650, no doubt about it.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 80
I'm hoping to get Stax SR-007MK2 (one day) as my reference but if balanced HD650 with GS-X is good, then I might go that way. It is a cheaper option for me.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*edited to clarify DAC*

biggrin.gif
. I'm driving them balanced (HR stock cable, no I am not "upgrading" to a Zu) from the outputs on a Benchmark DAC1 USB and I'm truly impressed.

smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

poor kid will flip when he hears HE90; poor kid will die when he hears a properly setup spkr system (most spkr over $2k will blow 650 out of the water when setup/amped correctly).

just FYI 801 is not easy to setup and can sound bad if setup improperly; the spkr is also pretty picky about amplifier.

nevertheless, you have a fine system in its own right.

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
poor kid will flip when he hears HE90; poor kid will die when he hears a properly setup spkr system (most spkr over $2k will blow 650 out of the water when setup/amped correctly).

just FYI 801 is not easy to setup and can sound bad if setup improperly; the spkr is also pretty picky about amplifier.

nevertheless, you have a fine system in its own right.

I may die with the HE90 but I was in a professionally treated room and the LINNs were Bi-amped with a full LINN system (each power amp was 20 grand or so and there were 4) and I'm sorry but they did not blow the HD650 out of the water as far as fidelity. Of course the soundstage is better but in general that's a recording effect anyway with a lot of the stuff we listen to these days; 10-20 mics all mixed together. The 801's were not "fully" set up but I stick by my impression. Anyway I don't think I'll die
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope to hear the HE90 someday for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

The part I fail to understand it why people seem to assume that because it costs more it must sound better. It's almost impossible to do with phones but DBT with speakers has had some fun results. And non DBT has even funnier ones: 6moons audio reviews: Acoustic Revive RR-77

I'm looking forward to my reference system. It's not the best but it's the best I will ever feel the own (most likely). It's not a matter of money it's a matter of diminishing returns. I'll definitely play around with different headphones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back