Balanced cable ???
Feb 29, 2020 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

funkymartyn

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody, question if you can help. If say you have a audio player which dies not have a balanced output, and only normal 3,5mm. Let's say you have 1em earbuds which you have two sets of cables. One normal 3,5mm, and one the balanced 2.5mm type. And your normal unbalanced 3,5mm cable goes faulty, Can you just get a 3,5mm to 2,5mm adapter and use the balanced cable instead ?? Or does the player have to have a balanced output ? So can it be done. And will it work. Seems a shame not to be sblecto use the balanced well made cable ........thanks in advance .

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 3
Going from 2.5mm to 3.5mm (i.e. balanced plug to unbalanced jack) is OK.

The other way (unbalanced plug to balanced jack) is not OK. At best, it'll distort. At worst, it'll break your source.

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 3
This was my thinking but was not sure. This is my thoughts, I have the Fiio m7 , and fiio f9 pro iem. And the f9 gives you two sets of cables, a nice unbalanced one. And what looks a better balanced set. And I thought if the unbalanced wire broke, I could use the balanced wire. As the ear buds are just push fit. But the M7 is only normal unbalanced 3.5mm. So if I got the 2.5mm female with 3.5mm male adapter I could still carry on. But didn't want to damage anything. So think I'm ok then. As these cables are not cheap. Thanks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back