Balanced Armature speakers life expectancy?
May 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
I've heard that these speakers last usually around 7 years. Does any have a pair Etymotic ER4S/P's since they were first released that still work? Does anyone have a balanced armature based earphone that has lasted them more than 7 years?

May 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 16
It's something Jerry Harvey said when he worked for UE.
The ER4P seems to last for very long times if cared for.

May 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
It's something Jerry Harvey said when he worked for UE.
The ER4P seems to last for very long times if cared for.

Quote:
I've heard that these speakers last usually around 7 years. Does any have a pair Etymotic ER4S/P's since they were first released that still work? Does anyone have a balanced armature based earphone that has lasted them more than 7 years?

So with that said, a custom IEM using balanced armature drivers can only last 7yrs? 10 yrs at most?

May 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:

So with that said, a custom IEM using balanced armature drivers can only last 7yrs? 10 yrs at most?

I don't think anyone really knows, or has had an IEM for that long that would be able to tell. I know there are a few people who have had their ER4P/S since release.

May 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Isn't this also going to be a function of use time and use environment?  BAs came out of the hearing aid industry, so if hearing aides are used 8-16 hours/day, every day in all environments, temperatures, and weather, then 7 years for a hearing aid may be accurate.  If you take the environments in which Jerry Harvey originally intended his IEMs to be used (rock concerts), with again potential weather (indoor and outdoor venues), sweat, and potentially extremes in sound volume, then 7 years for a concert-based IEM may make sense.

I've been using my IEMs for almost 5 years, and all sound, work, and look fine.  As ethan961 stated, some Ety owners have had their ER-4xs for many years.  If IEMs used for personal listening average 2-3 hours of use per day, then the life expectancy of the BA transducers should be significantly longer than 7 years.  Other components may fail earlier, but it doesn't seem like BAs are the weak link.

May 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 16
Outside of the ER4 I can't think of any iem that is popular today that has been out for 7-10 years. Either way at the rate a lot of us go through earphones I don't think we have to worry about them not lasting a certain length of time :p

May 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 16
Also forgot to mention, my pair of er-4s went through a six month stint in Iraq and 140 degree weather. Aside from some swapping of the filters I had no issues.

May 30, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 16
^^ That is impressive. It at least demonstrates the build quality of Ety IEMs.

May 30, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Also forgot to mention, my pair of er-4s went through a six month stint in Iraq and 140 degree weather. Aside from some swapping of the filters I had no issues.

Really, impressive....

Cheers
K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back