Balanced Amp mod question
Nov 12, 2008 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pyriel0

100+ Head-Fier
So apparently now I am getting a Citypulse DAC DA7.2x II instead of the Zhaolu and I saw it has balanced outputs. Then the gears in my head starting turning.

Since the Shanling PH100 has 2 different inputs, couldn't I mod the input/output connectors and just make the aux + cd inputs work at the same time? Maybe a new transformer would be needed to provide enough juice, but it would be a very cheap, VERY powerful balanced amp then.

My idea is the l/r of the cd input would become the +/- for the right speaker only. The l/r of the aux input would become the +/- of the left speaker only.

With both inputs running at the same time the power output should be double of these regular specs.
2400mW/16ohm
1200mW/32ohm
600mW/64ohm
130mW/300ohm
65mW/600ohm"

It should even be able to fully power balanced HD600's(300 ohm) headphones. Would this work or am I missing something?

This would be nice because for 220(price of amp) + say 50 bucks for connectors, you would have a nice solid state amp that could power pretty much any balanced headphone that is 300 ohms or lower.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since the Shanling PH100 has 2 different inputs, couldn't I mod the input/output connectors and just make the aux + cd inputs work at the same time? Maybe a new transformer would be needed to provide enough juice, but it would be a very cheap, VERY powerful balanced amp then.

My idea is the l/r of the cd input would become the +/- for the right speaker only. The l/r of the aux input would become the +/- of the left speaker only.

Do some Reading to get a better understanding on the subject I found this 6moons audio reviews: Balanced headphones - Part One I goes a little way to explaining the subject..

Matt

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Even after reading that and looking at the diagrams, I don't understand why it would not work. The source would be putting out the balanced signals and I would have 4 "amps" one each for r+/r-/l+/l-. Why would it not work? I understand the shanling isn't built to be balanced and the components are probably not perfect matches since it is discrete. That is the only reason I would think it might not work perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back