Balanced amp better than the SE amp I have
Jan 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pyramid6

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to try out a balanced amp, but I think I would need to get better than the WA6 (what I have) to hear an improvement.

The WA22 would do it, but it's too much. Would a LD MKVI be better than a WA6?

What about SS amps?

Something with a good resell value, or used maybe?

I have an K701 and a HD650. Actually like them both.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 21
I have a DAC that can be balanced, and the HD650 has a detachable cable, and the K701 is already balanced, I would just need to re-terminate.

Basically, I want to see if I like balanced, and if I do, get a WA22 or something. I don't want to spend a lot just to see if I like it, but I'm afraid, I will need to spend a lot to get better than what I have SE.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 21
You won't be able to find used WA22 for a while. It's just been released not too long ago, and the order list is well in 6+ weeks to build.

As for other, you can try out:

Sonnet
Phoenix
Phonitor

Best way is to find the local meetup where you can audition one. But if that's not an option, you can try out Sonnett for 10 days. Donald has a tryout period that you can return if you are not satisfied. Same goes for WA22 for 10 days, but then, you gotta wait 6+ weeks to try that out.

Regards

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 21
Balanced = a lot of hype. There are both equally good balanced and SE designed amps around. Your amp is a great SE amp, be happy and stop chasing your tail.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 21
I wouldn't say it's all about hype. But, the differences aren't night and day either (to me). I'd go with johnwmclean's suggestion unless you are comfortable with spending that much money.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 21
Diminishing return~. wa6 is great. Spending twice more doesn't mean twice better

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 21
However, you can still seek to get an upgrade from many different ways. Balanced is one way. better amp is another. Good luck with your journey.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there aren't really any cheap balanced amps that blow away single ended? I was afraid of that.

Thanks

What most people refer to as "balanced" is usually a bridged amp. There are roughly twice the parts in the amp circuit (they channels usually share a power supply), so a supposedly balanced amp costs more than single ended.

I also think that "balanced" is overhyped and much, much more of a marketing point than a technical achievement. Assuming the amp you buy actually is balanced as opposed to bridged. Or, sometimes, just a single-ended amp with XLR jacks.

It's funny how some of the loudest proponents of balanced drive aren't actually balanced.

If you really think balanced is worth it, do your homework. Learn what is truly balanced and what is not. If you don't know, you could easily end up single-ended without realizing it.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 21
Pyramid6:

I was at the same boat and eventually got Phoenix from a good guy
biggrin.gif
and have been tried balanced and SE for a while. To me the level of improvement by going balanced strongly depends on your other gears and music.

With DLIII + Phoenix + DT880/600 and instrumental music (guitar), the reverberation of each note is much richer and real with balanced setup. It will sound much alive. Also, the soundstage is wider and more accurate.

I can't speak for other people and other setups. But it is very worthy for me.
L3000.gif

Edit: Yet the improvement is not comparable with HP or AMP upgrade, as many have pointed out. The jump to SE Phoenix is certainly much greater than the step from SE to balanced. Just try to be more clear.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there aren't really any cheap balanced amps that blow away single ended? I was afraid of that.

I would mention A-GD Roc as a relatively cheap balanced amp. The "blow away single ended" part is also relative, but it sure is nice and fast truly balanced SS headamp.

I concur that going balanced is not such a big difference as f.e. cans improvement or source improvement, but it is more than just a hype: I like better control and increased dynamics/speed that balanced setup has over SE setup.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would mention A-GD Roc as a relatively cheap balanced amp. The "blow away single ended" part is also relative, but it sure is nice and fast truly balanced SS headamp.

I concur that going balanced is not such a big difference as f.e. cans improvement or source improvement, but it is more than just a hype: I like better control and increased dynamics/speed that balanced setup has over SE setup.

I have a Roc and I agree, the dynamics and control do pick up a lot and I think it's worth it.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Sennheisers, to my ears, improve significantly when balanced. I had the chance to hear a HD600 and HD650 out of a balanced M^3 at a previous Sydney meet and thought that they both sounded as good as I'd ever heard them.

That would be a low-cost option for you if you can find a builder, and you'll have the assurance of knowing that it truly is balanced. If you go for OPA627/637's as your opamps it'll sound somewhat similar to your WA6, as well (slightly warm, with lush vocals and good speed/finesse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back