Bakoon HPA-21 : Will it achieve High End status ?
May 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Unless you're driving your eardrums six inches into your skull, you're just a wimp!
biggrin.gif

se

Let's see, 6" x 2.54 = 15.24 cm x 2 = 30.48 cm > diameter of my skull, hence the eardrums would meet! 
basshead.gif

Hm. I think I actually did that experiment when switching from LCD-3 to HD800 without also switching the gain from high to low. Ouch!

May 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Let's see, 6" x 2.54 = 15.24 cm x 2 = 30.48 cm > diameter of my skull, hence the eardrums would meet! 
basshead.gif

Hm. I think I actually did that experiment when switching from LCD-3 to HD800 without also switching the gain from high to low. Ouch!

Yes, they'd just go crashing through each other. Would love to see the high speed video of that.
biggrin.gif

se

May 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
Where's your own review of the Bakoon, bye the bye?  Isn't that usually the responsibility of the initator of these types of impressions threads? 

When reading the audio press one has to remain sceptical as everybody wants to get there product out there . News about this amp promised a new and innovative approach .
I am truly excited to see a good outcome and realisation for this product. 

I started the thread to give this amp a dedicated home, so we could get varied impressions and share opinions . I am unbiased about this amp and seek impressions.

I did not post this in the high end section as there was no consensus or even a growing fan club suggesting this was high end material . 

Maybe I am old school but I believe in earning respect , no spin  or bestowing status prematurely . 

I thank those that have heard this amp for posting and giving us their opinions , every bit helps. 

So reading between the lines, there is great promise but suggestions of issues.  Maybe a product not quite polished and ironed out for a demanding market .

And so we learn and grow and improve . Our minds are like parachutes , they only function if they are open. 

I have read your impressions in the high end section and dont feel ready to invest in this product, yet. 

May 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #19 of 24
Seriously, if you have this kind of discretionary funds, you need to give this amp a serious listen before you make that kind of dismissal rationalization.  At least for a dedicated thread starter.

For me, it is that kind of game changer, where money is the only consideration.  Not looks, not picayune foibles, but straight up sonic comparisons.  It masters the best of clarity vs. euphonic full bodied sound, at least at its price point.  

If you are left standing on the loading dock watching this amp offering pull away from the station, you might find yourself having to wait an awfully long time for another product that you can come aboard on.

May 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
Seriously, if you have this kind of discretionary funds, you need to give this amp a serious listen before you make that kind of dismissal rationalization.  At least for a dedicated thread starter.

For me, it is that kind of game changer, where money is the only consideration.  Not looks, not picayune foibles, but straight up sonic comparisons.  It masters the best of clarity vs. euphonic full bodied sound, at least at its price point.  

If you are left standing on the loading dock watching this amp offering pull away from the station, you might find yourself having to wait an awfully long time for another product that you can come aboard on.

Trying to keep an open and practical mind. 

Yes,I am always on the lookout for anything that improves musical enjoyment but I am just unsure how I would cope with a 2 hour warmup time before the amp hits its sweet spot . 
confused.gif

I am also unsure how I would go with limited listening time when I am really on a roll and communing with nirvana. 
I have no access to hear this amp in my setup unless I buy it . Hence this thread to get some idea.
rolleyes.gif

Cunning linguistics and emotional metaphors aside I get you like the amp and thus positive feedback noted. 
beerchug.gif

I am quite comfy on the loading dock , just trying to assess the law of diminishing return, how much possible gain in exchange for compromise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bakoon has been working hard to put this product out , maybe the work is in progress , I am looking forward to hearing it. 
wink.gif

May 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 24
Admittedly, the amp takes some while to hit its full stride.  But make no mistake about it, it starts sweet.  I doubt very much if you'll find yourself thinking that the sound is somehow lacking, on the contrary, regardless of how long the duration of your listening session.  It's just that the longer you're engaged with the music, the more you're rewarded for your devotion.  The proverbial "bonus" I alluded to before.

This so called warm-up period may be in reality no different than the warm-up period associated with tubes, which have long been an accepted and well regarded benchmark in audiophile gear.  The analogy may actually work on multiple levels.  

The HPA-21 is no compromise.  Save only perhaps relative to a higher end product such as my HP4.  But it does give the HP4 a serious run for its money.

Quote:
I have no access to hear this amp in my setup unless I buy it .

That's what I had to do.  Although I think I was a little more enthusiastic as to its potential based on what I gleaned from reading about it than you appear to be. 
It's called suasive argument, but I have been known in certain quarters as a cunning linguist.  Just call me 001. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 24
wild4sound, it's not just the "cunning linguist" and me who like HPA-21: http://www.head-fi.org/t/664097/bakoon-hpa-21-headphone-amplifier-one-of-the-best/15#post_9489141

Of course you should listen to it before buying, if possible. I was prepared not to buy it (and to disappoint Klutz Design) if it wasn't much better than BHA-1. I bought it after one day...

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
wild4sound, it's not just the "cunning linguist" and me who like HPA-21: http://www.head-fi.org/t/664097/bakoon-hpa-21-headphone-amplifier-one-of-the-best/15#post_9489141

Of course you should listen to it before buying, if possible. I was prepared not to buy it (and to disappoint Klutz Design) if it wasn't much better than BHA-1. I bought it after one day...

I here you Can Dude, and I am still very keen to hear the HPA -21.

To be clear, I was set on buying the Bakoon , but it took forever to be released with very little feedback . Call it fate, but I stumbled on the Head Amp GSX MKII and had the chance to buy it without a waiting period . Of course Head-Fi  had plenty of good feedback on Head Amp  and that made  the decision easy . The fact that it fits into my system so well and compliments my phones , all re terminated to balanced , makes it very convenient. And of course the sound is to die for.

But this space belongs to the HPA-21 and I am hearing great comments  so far .  I am open minded enough to expect that although single ended, the current drive system will bring something different to the table to help us experience our music pleasurably.
Just buying this amp for me means also buying different cables and phones, so significant investment . We tend to paint ourselves into corners, us silly Audiophools.

I hope it pops up in a meet or I get some free time to travel but hearing it now is mandatory as space on the shelf is limited .
Just a thought towards Bakoon, maybe a loaner program can get things up and running.

Regards.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #24 of 24
Hi,

I am the one that wrote you numerous times about the upcoming release of the DAC-21 and my eager anticipation. I am still eagerly awaiting it’s release.

Unfortunately, my HPA-21 that has only been used 15-20 times for around an hour each time (I only listen before I go to sleep in bed with my HE-1000’s and LCD-4’s) stopped functioning 2 weeks ago. Deco2000 sent it to you two weeks ago and you told them there was a major problem with the amplifier and have not responded since. This amp has only been used 15-20 times and has less than 20 hours on it. I don’t want you to repair the amplifier, I want  you to replace it immediately and send a new one by FedEx. It’s unacceptable for you to make me wait a month for a replacement amp when I paid 2200 USD for an amp that only lasted 20 hours and had a major mechanical failure. I will be posting this email on head-fi in the HPA-21 section, the HP-51R section, and the DAC-21 section. You claim to provide high quality products and exceptional service, but you never answer your telephone and the service I have received to date with my amp with less than 20 hours on it is worse than service I would get from a cheap 20 USD DAC provider, to be frank your service has been crap. If the amp has a serious problem I don’t want you to repair it, because it shouldn’t have a serious problem after 20 hours, just send me a new one and send it to DECO by FedEx tomorrow, don’t waste another week of my time.

If you resolve this issue in a professional manner you can still redeem yourselves and have a happy customer, and I’ll still likely buy a DAC-21. But if you continue to behave like morons and waste my time while you do god knows what, I’ll spread the word on head-fi and everywhere else that your product, service, and customer support is crap, and let everyone else decide for themselves how they want to use my honest information.

Sincerely
Seth Warshavsky

BTW why do you have a telephone if you never answer it. I’ve called you 20 times in 3 months and you’ve only answered once (day and night) and that was the MD. It’s one thing to be passionate about audio, but if you want to make it in the audio business you need to at least pretend to be passionate about your customers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back