Bah, I think my turntable is junk.
Sep 9, 2004 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

that turntable is the same model as mine. it's probably even better since it has a grado cartridge and mine is still the factory stock one. bah. under $25? it sounded fine in my college days out of a sony reciever - but now that my Solo is coming back with a phono ground, i want to do my vinyl justice - what would be a non-pricey upgrade? no vintage thorens or rega planars for $400-500 please, i was thinking more in the lines of a budget table with a decent cartridge, thanks.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 22
Hold on, you may be surprised by how good one of those Technics turntables can sound. I have the "lesser brother" to the SL-QD35, the SL-BD20B, which is a belt drive model. Go ahead and change the cartridge to a Grado, Audio-Technica, or Ortofon P-mount cartridge. Then replace the detachable factory power cord with an aftermarket power, not to mention the detachable interconnects.

You should have some fun reading this thread on inexpensive Technics TT's.

soundboy aka Danny

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 22
Jahn: Listen to soundboy, I'd suggest. If you go for a new cartridge like an AT92ECD, AT311EP, AT316EP or even an AT331LP (which might be difficult to get, now), you should be positively surprised.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 22
That's almost the same turntable as the one that I had been using for over 10 years - until I got myself a Music Hall MMF-5. (The only difference between my SL-QD33 and the eBay SL-QD35 - other than cosmetics and cabinet color - is that my SL-QD33 has electronic touch controls instead of the mechanical controls on that SL-QD35.)

FYI, the SL-QD33 (essentially similar to that SL-QD35) listed for $220 without cartridge when it was last distributed new.

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 22
Eh, not a great arm. P-mount? Feh.
But still, slap on a decent cartridge -- and interconnects -- and you should get reasonably enjoyable sound. I'd use an armwrap too, although they're ugly.

But a $400-500 turntable (including even a Technics 1200 if you happen to be into them) would do you much better if you can part with the money. It's not that you can't have success, but for all the time and money you spend to tweak a $150 turntable, you could just get something better. I been there.

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks gang, this feedback really helps. I used to spin as a DJ in college, and this was my home turntable - hmm, if i could snag a 1200 for old times' sake, that could be fun! Otherwise, a new cartridge and ICs sounds the way to go. I checked the back of the unit -the power cord doesn't look too detachable, but maybe i didn't yank it hard enough lol.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Jahn: Listen to soundboy, I'd suggest. If you go for a new cartridge like an AT92ECD, AT311EP, AT316EP or even an AT331LP (which might be difficult to get, now), you should be positively surprised.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I grabbed a new AT92ECD for about 25 bucks shipped - thanks for the help all!

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 22
Hmm what do you know that power cord IS detachable. Well I'll stick with it for now. But now I need 2 new pairs of ICs - one for the phono out to the sony phono stage, and another to go from the sony to the Solo - argh!

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 22
Jahn: Be sure to get low capacity ics for phono mm use, btw!

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Jahn: Be sure to get low capacity ics for phono mm use, btw!

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

ack! hmm i wonder if the magwires naked ICS i ordered are low capacity? i better check, thanks!

ah while i asked he recommended i bump mine up to the normals since they are shielded - eh why not!

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 22
my recomendation: WATCH AUDIOGON!

I've saw a mint Music Hall MMF-5 go for $100 the other day (I was actually the first inquiry on it, but decieded to let someone else have it).

Last night an average condition MMF-5 at $150 obo.

There are steals to be had if you have the patience to wait.

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 22
hmm! well the ics can be used for anything but i see your point about the turntable - i've already gotten a new cart for the old table, but depending on the condition of the cart on the new table i could just swap it out. so yep i'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back