Bagpipes
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Looking for traditional bagpipe or new music with bagpipes like Dropkick Murphys?

For the newer groups check out Wicked Tinkers and Molly's Revenge.

Older new stuff-
Dropkick Murphys
Young Dubliners

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 9
For Scottish Highland Pipes, I recommend the late Gordon Duncan, for example his album The Circular Breath.  The Scottish label Temple Music has a series of Pipe-band competition recordings that are often quite arresting.  For some modern rock-folk fusion, the band Wolfstone (especially their album The Half Tail) are hard to beat.

There are many great exponents of Irish Uillean pipes, and I'm partial to Liam O'Flynn.  Try for example his album The Piper's Call.

Carlos Nunez is the poster-boy of the Gallician bag pipes.  Although his albums are often great fun (e.g. Mayo Longo), I found him too eclectic, too bent on mixing different musical styles, that the end results often lack focus.  If you prefer traditional Gallician music, Susana Seivane is your bet.

May 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 9
May 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Looking forward to more of this stuff soon. One of my favorite instruments. Both traditional and 'rockabilly' pipes. 

That reminds me...I need to pick up a few more kilts...

May 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Looking forward to more of this stuff soon. One of my favorite instruments. Both traditional and 'rockabilly' pipes. 

That reminds me...I need to pick up a few more kilts...

Kilts are so expensive.  My family is Scottish and I wouldn't mind owning one or two kilts, but i just can't get past the price for something that I would only wear a couple times per year. 
rolleyes.gif

I do look forward to our local Scottish Festival each year.  They bring in a few of the better bands like Wicked Tinkers and Molly's Revenge and it is quite a party.

May 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Well, get over it and wear it more than a few times a year. Kilts are comfortable and practical. I love Utilikilts and plan on wearing mine a lot once I pick up a few.

Quote:
Kilts are so expensive.  My family is Scottish and I wouldn't mind owning one or two kilts, but i just can't get past the price for something that I would only wear a couple times per year. 
rolleyes.gif

I do look forward to our local Scottish Festival each year.  They bring in a few of the better bands like Wicked Tinkers and Molly's Revenge and it is quite a party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back